Author Topic: TCLOCS Saved My Life Today  (Read 4954 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
TCLOCS Saved My Life Today
« on: September 01, 2010, 01:45:20 AM »
I'm a new scooterist, though I've been drooling over them since 2003, which includes lurking in forums, reading the occasional Scoot magazine, and reading any books I could find on riding. In particular David Hough book Proficient Motorcycling.

One major thought was always stressed - you're only as safe as your bike is. Pre-ride inspections, maintaining proper air pressure, and the right riding gear was paramount. At age 14 I suffered a horrible bike crash on a ten speed bike. It was a new birthday present, and I was told not to take it into the higher gear for the first two weeks. You know, let the cables stretch out a bit.

Two weeks later I was ready to let her rip. Seated at the top of a hill I pedal down and slowly shifted into the highest gear until I was pedaling easily and doing a good 30 MPH. That's when I found out the hard way that the bike had a defective weld in its right pedal. At my top speed the pedal didn't snap or break off, it just dropped on my down stroke. My right foot shot down with nothing to support it causing me to violently tip over.

I hit the ground, shoulder first, then my head (this was the early 80's so no helmet laws back then). A flash of blue light went off behind my eyes and I remember waking up at the bottom of the hill, my right arm - from shoulder to fingers was a bloody mess as was my knee. Luckily my friends rushed to help and within minutes my mother was there to take me to the emergency room.
I had a fracture skull, a major concussion, and third degree burns on my shoulder, elbow, knuckles and knee. To date only the keloid scar on my shoulder really remains, and even that's pretty faded.

So, given my background, you can understand that I have no wish for a repeat performance of 'The Road Burn Cometh - Again'.
Every morning when I take my scooter out for the first ride of the day I spend about 15 minutes doing my TCLOCS pre-ride inspection. During my safety class I had heard from my own teachers and from a number of vets of how they do this once a week, or so, and I wondered how long before I would skimp on this routine, but to be honest, I kind of like doing it.

Knowing that my bike was in good working order made that notion of 'will today be the day that I crash' a little less looming.
So, you can imagine my reaction this morning when I discovered that the major bolt holding my front wheel to the forks was loose.

Not just slightly loose. It was half way unscrewed showing the thread of the bolt and a gap between the fork and nut wide enough to put half a dozen playing cards between. My heart dropped. I had taken a casual ride through Camden, NJ on Friday (not exactly America's most picturesque city) to find a way to see the Battleship New Jersey docked on the Delaware river, and on Thursday I had ridden all day through Philly, including over 20 blocks of a street that had it's blacktop scrapped away to be repaved later. On that section even my fillings shook from the rough road vibrations.

My guess is that was what loosened by wheel bolt.

I thought about that as I looked at the bolt and wondered how close I was to having my wheel fall off as I was riding, or if I hadn't caught it what would have happened when I took the bike up to 55 + while traveling over the bridge into Philadelphia? I was out of town on Sunday and Monday so today was the first time I had a chance to ride in over two days.

That morning it was 10 am and I need to be in Philly by 11:30. I hate being late for anything, and part of me mulled skipping my TCLOCS, but another voice told me not to. Besides, it really was becoming a routine.

I glad I did, and now I ALWAYS will. There's noting between us and the road except a well running bike, skill and luck. Today I was saved by luck - my decision to do my pre-ride inspection. I'd like to think my luck card has now been cashed in. I only have skill and the condition of my scooter now.

I'm gonna make the most of them.

-Wolf

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: TCLOCS Saved My Life Today
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 01:50:14 AM »
Knowing that my bike was in good working order made that notion of 'will today be the day that I crash' a little less looming.
So, you can imagine my reaction this morning when I discovered that the major bolt holding my front wheel to the forks was loose.

..an awakening to some i hope......

..awesome post scooterwolf.....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 08:10:14 AM »

So, given my background, you can understand that I have no wish for a repeat performance of 'The Road Burn Cometh - Again'.
Every morning when I take my scooter out for the first ride of the day I spend about 15 minutes doing my TCLOCS pre-ride inspection.

-Wolf

I agree that having a safe and properly maintained scooter is very important but 15 minutes every morning - you must have a plenty of spare time in your life, or a high degree of paranoid behavior. :) :) :)

I check my scoots regularly, let`s say, once per month, on top of regular servicing. Also, occasionally I visually check the wheels and tires for splinters, suspension and brake pads. I also have one of those electronic pressure gauges so I check the tire pressure. On both scoots I had valve caps with visual pressure sensors, they stole them off People so I have to check manually, on Agility one glance is enough.

15 minutes per day would be a bit too much, unless I spoke in gentle, soft voice to my scoot and prayed to motorcycling Gods for safe riding. :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 08:12:57 AM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 12:19:46 AM »
I actually check just about everything each morning before I take off for my 9 mile commute.

If it makes you feel any better, it is almost impossible for the front wheel to fall off.
First of all, when you need to remove the wheel, you have to bang the axle bolt out with a tool. They normally fit pretty tight. In addition, your brake rotor holds the wheel in position, and you would hear the screeching and feel the pulls before the wheel came off.
However, if one end of the fork did disconnect, you would be in BIG trouble.
But I doubt that it would happen by accident, as long as you have weight on the front wheel the axle probably will not slip off.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 10:08:32 PM »
THAT'S good to know. Still, it scared the $&!+ out of me when I first saw it. I guess I do have plenty of time in the morning, but ...
hey, if you've hit the ground doing 30+ once in your life, you probably wouldn't want to repeat it again.

-Wolf

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 10:16:04 PM »
..i reckon i don't check EVERYTHING...all the fasteners here and there and such...every day..certainly not before the morning ride...too dang early!!..lol..

..i trust my scoot to some extent, and the periodic inspections i've made have ever only found my center stand's left-hand shoulder bolt was loose...

..i ride'r pretty hard every day, and this 08 kymco has been amazing...

peace

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 11:05:46 PM »
THAT'S good to know. Still, it scared the $&!+ out of me when I first saw it. I guess I do have plenty of time in the morning, but ...
hey, if you've hit the ground doing 30+ once in your life, you probably wouldn't want to repeat it again.

-Wolf

I did. I had surgery. It sucked. I don't want to do it again.
And I practically gear up just to put the scoot back into the garage at night.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 11:10:58 PM »
I did. I had surgery. It sucked. I don't want to do it again.

...dang...hope that day don't come....

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 11:58:14 PM »
Good safety reminder. It's easy to become complacent and fall in a routine.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 12:01:20 AM »
..i long for routine...

..nothings ever the same....

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 01:10:34 AM »
..but err ever on the side of safety...

..preventive maintenance works...

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 01:56:08 AM »
So true. 'Slinger, sorry to hear about the surgery. Hope you're back to 100% working order.
Yeah, I'm impressed on how tough these scooters are.

-Wolf

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 08:39:32 AM »

-Wolf

Protective gear and checking will not prevent hitting the ground. If somebody wants to be sure it will not happen again, the only way to go would be a cage, and even then you can get hurt or die.
A year ago I had an accident with my quad, rather nasty one.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 04:04:28 PM »
I'm working on a device that nullifies the laws of physics. Problem is I need something called a Flux Capacitor, and lots and lots of Flubber.

-Wolf.

P.S. -- Respect for the Quad-man. You guys ARE crazy!

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 08:48:02 PM »
I'm working on a device that nullifies the laws of physics. Problem is I need something called a Flux Capacitor, and lots and lots of Flubber.

-Wolf.

We can buy those things from Quark The Ferengi any time!
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()