Author Topic: Yamaha's answer to the Downtown 300i?  (Read 841 times)

stuo

• View Profile
2009 GV 250

john grinsel

• View Profile
Re: Yamaha's answer to the Downtown 300i?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 09:38:55 PM »
Isn't it a Kymco underneath?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 01:19:09 AM »
I believe you're thinking of the Kawasaki scooter......a re-badged Kymco.,,,,which I'm not certain was ever offered in the USA.

No, these Yamaha scooters are the real deal -- from what some consider the primo quality company of the Japanese Big 4 bike builders.

I'm a Honda guy - but if they stop building I'd happily opt for a Yamaha.

Not a fan of any of these new big scooter shapes. They all look like they were made from a pile of LEGOs. Nothing flowing about them.

I really liked the previous Yamaha Majesty, like the one owned by our Mr. Forbes.
The first maxi scooter I ever saw up close was a Majesty being ridden by a female college professor. She used it to commute 60 miles a day. I spoke with her as she loaded groceries into it one evening. Beautiful scooter!

Here's a promo pic of a Yamaha Majesty:

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 12:32:33 PM »
I still think it has Kymco heart.    Be interesting to see if VIN starts with J or L.   In Japan because of registration laws, 250's are cheaper to  license/keep....over 250 becomes expensive, so I doubt bike in this displacement would sell at all in Japan.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 02:30:11 PM »

I don't understand.
Which part of the Yamaha is a Kymco?
Engines are not the same, weight, wheelbase, wheel size is different.
VIN prefix does not tell me much any longer. Hondas are made in Italy, Vietnam, Thailand, Japan....
My VW Vanagon has an Austrian VIN.
VW went to Italy for the Karmann Ghia and Golf shape....but they're not Italians at heart.
Didn't Californians draw the New Beetle and the xB Scion -- still, not American cars at heart.

Maybe you are saying that Kymco supplied the Yamaha designed engines....? I haven't read that anywhere...but who knows?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 04:17:52 PM »
I am with Stig on flowing shape/style. The "transformer" made out of junky parts is not attractive. Klaviator has a Majesty and it is sharp! That Majesty picture could be Klav's after a wash! Har, har! That boy does some ridin' ! I really like the panel on this Xmax! Not crazy about belt life odometer but all those other sensor displays you can just dial up! Whaddadey want per each? I'll bet it's Burgman-esque!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 07:52:00 PM »
Still think it is a Kymco-----Suzuki has one model made by Kymco, Kawasaki 200 scooter (if still around), BMW has Kymco heart, Daelim in Korea 250 scooter has complete Kymco drive line-------I don't care how they look, more interested in function.

VIN would answer question.

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 09:50:46 PM »
Still think it is a Kymco-----Suzuki has one model made by Kymco, Kawasaki 200 scooter (if still around), BMW has Kymco heart, Daelim in Korea 250 scooter has complete Kymco drive line-------I don't care how they look, more interested in function.

VINMH3SH10Y1JK001050 here is a vin # for one I found online...for some reason when I copied and pasted it kept the Vin in it with no space.  So starting at the M   
2018 Kymco Like 150i

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 11:19:59 PM »
The BMW C400 is made by Kymco.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 03:16:45 AM »
The Xmax actually comes in 400cc as well as 300cc versions although only the 300 is offered here.  From what I have read the 300 is a better scooter.  I love my Majesty but if I didn't have that already I'd be looking at the Xmax.  I'd take it over anything similar made by Honda.  The only thing I really don't like about the Xmax is the Key fob instead of a key. 

But my Majesty is paid for and I only have around 17,000 miles on it so I expect I will be riding it for at least another 30- 50,000 miles before I look to replace it.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 05:02:34 AM »
I believe you're thinking of the Kawasaki scooter......a re-badged Kymco.,,,,which I'm not certain was ever offered in the USA.

No, these Yamaha scooters are the real deal -- from what some consider the primo quality company of the Japanese Big 4 bike builders.

I'm a Honda guy - but if they stop building I'd happily opt for a Yamaha.

Not a fan of any of these new big scooter shapes. They all look like they were made from a pile of LEGOs. Nothing flowing about them.

I really liked the previous Yamaha Majesty, like the one owned by our Mr. Forbes.
The first maxi scooter I ever saw up close was a Majesty being ridden by a female college professor. She used it to commute 60 miles a day. I spoke with her as she loaded groceries into it one evening. Beautiful scooter!

Here's a promo pic of a Yamaha Majesty:

Stig
Man. That Majesty was GREAT! I bought it on June 5, 2016. By July 3, 2016 , the day of my accident, I was less than 100 miles shy of 3,000 miles. I used to ride it (and my 2009 xciting 250ri  before that) 3-4 days/week 95 mile round trip when it was above 50 degrees. It had tons of storage and could keep up with any traffic. The top speed was 90+ gps verified. (Did that ONCE! Promised myself never to do it again.) . Loved the E brake. Seat wasn’t as comfortable as the xciitng but was good enough. If I ever get another, i hope they’d still make something similar to the Majesty or Xciting 400. But for now I can only imagine. [emoji26]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 11:08:11 AM »

The X-Max has been in production since 2006,  the closest rival being Piaggio Beverly.
It never had anything to do with Kymco.
A very good and reliable scooter.

There was also a X City 250 that had larger diameter tires (16" front, 15" rear), but they discontinued it when they moved up to the 300ccm engine.
Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 04:01:02 PM by jeeves »
Agility City 125

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 10:54:07 PM »
M as first letter in VIN indicates Made in China!

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 06:49:36 AM »
M as first letter in VIN indicates Made in China!

My Kymco was made in mainland China, it doesn't have a M in the VIN number.

The X Max 250 were made/assembled in the Yamaha/MBK factory in Saint-Quentin, France.

Production of the new 300ccm x-Max was moved to Indonesia.
Agility City 125

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 08:41:48 AM »
The Majesty is a lovely looking scooter. Yamaha have been in bed with Jianshe of China for quite a few years now but I don't think they make the Majesty for them!

Most of Suzuki's more budget bikes are coming in from Indonesia.

You can use www.whomademybike.com to check the provenance of VINs but it's pretty hit and miss.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()