Author Topic: New to me 2012 - need advice  (Read 1625 times)

sailorman

• View Profile
New to me 2012 - need advice
« on: January 20, 2019, 10:44:25 PM »
Hi All, just joined forum. Have run a Honda Metropolitan for a while but it always felt too small.  I just purchased a 2012 200i with 860 miles on it for $500.  It seems in very good shape, but has been siting unused for last two years due to original owner losing interest.  I topped off oil, inflated tires (OEM Kendas), and adjusted suspension.  The battery seems strong.  Had it up to 65 MPH on back road, no issues noted.  Planned to start off with a state inspection, then take it to a trusted local motorcycle shop as there is no Kymco dealership within many many miles.

Aside from an oil and gearbox lube change, air filter blow out, what should I ask them (the mechanics) to do or check to get this cycle ready for safe daily use?
Honda CB350 (Ret.)
Honda Metropolitan
Kymco 200i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: New to me 2012 - need advice
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:53:50 AM »
Wow, great deal on your LIKE!
Other than the stuff you mentioned, I'd have them siphon out the gas, replace with BP, SHELL etc. fresh fuel....
And I'd order a set of Michelin City Grips - and  hand them to install.
To insure you'll keep getting home as planned - I'd replace that battery, or at least load test it..
Check some hardware fittings (front axel nuts, rear shock mounts, muffler heat shield screws)

Seriously....after you change the oils (clean oil screen), freshen fuel .....you're probably good to go from my 6 yrs experience with this scooter.
Do check your owner's manual for service schedules.

Stig
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 10:05:27 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 11:05:00 AM »
Wow, that is a great deal.  You're sure to enjoy your new Like200i, it really is a well made little bike.  If you are at all handy, it's well worth learning to maintain and repair the Kymco yourself.  A fluid change and valve inspection/adjustment are easy and a good idea.  Hope you enjoy your new scoot, let us know how you get along.
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 05:58:45 PM »
Welcome to the group. You might want to change out the brake fluid as it has been sitting for a while. My Like has about 10,000 miles on it and has been very reliable.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 09:22:49 AM »
I might sound a bit gung-ho, but fluid change as you suggest then just see how it goes. Don't trust the Kendas as far as you can throw them, but it doesn't mean  you should replace them before getting a bit of wear on.

Cracking deal on the bike, by the way.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

IAATM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 01:18:38 AM »
order a set of Michelin City Grips - Stig

Thanks, Stig.  I see the prices of the Michelin's on Amazon, but what's a fair price for a shop to change the rubber on the rim?  Is balancing included?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 01:41:35 AM »
Thanks, Stig.  I see the prices of the Michelin's on Amazon, but what's a fair price for a shop to change the rubber on the rim?  Is balancing included?

Don't think most 12" scooter tires are balanced...esp. good brand name tires
Rear wheel removal is rather more involved than the front. Dismount, remove tires, remount..
.probably better expect an hour of shop time.
Or check price of package deal if you buy from dealer. Pretty sure I  paid more for the labor than the tires.
You should find posts here , should you want to do it, from 2 of us on removing the rear wheel. (See 2 part sticky above..)
Stig
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:44:23 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

sailorman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 08:05:36 PM »
Thanks for advice guys and for posting all this great material on the site and on YouTube. Drained oil and changed oil in gearbox.  Pulled seat and cleaned up, then checked valves.  Upper one was fine;gap on lower one was very tight, less than .05mm.  Readusted it to .102mm.  Replaced plug with NGK Iridium. The Iridium plug looks to project much farther into the cylinder than the OEM one; hope that will not be a problem.  As soon as GY6 strainer plug arrives on slow boat from Shanghai will replace that, fill with 15W40, and test ride.  Again, thanks!
Honda CB350 (Ret.)
Honda Metropolitan
Kymco 200i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 12:22:27 AM »
Thanks for advice guys and for posting all this great material on the site and on YouTube. Drained oil and changed oil in gearbox.  Pulled seat and cleaned up, then checked valves.  Upper one was fine;gap on lower one was very tight, less than .05mm.  Readusted it to .102mm.  Replaced plug with NGK Iridium. The Iridium plug looks to project much farther into the cylinder than the OEM one; hope that will not be a problem.  As soon as GY6 strainer plug arrives on slow boat from Shanghai will replace that, fill with 15W40, and test ride.  Again, thanks!
What Iridium plug are you using....the number?
Correct NGK IRIDIUM is the CR7HIX. (7544)
Stig
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 03:39:04 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 05:23:09 PM »

Replaced plug with NGK Iridium. The Iridium plug looks to project much farther into the cylinder than the OEM one; hope that will not be a problem. 

Did you start the engine since the plug has been installed ?

On some engines  the pistons can hit the spark plugs when incorrect plugs project too deep into the cylinder. This can cause damage to the pistons as well as spark plugs.

If you haven’t started the engine yet, rather make sure whether the correct plug has been installed.

Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

IAATM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 05:25:34 PM »
probably better expect an hour of shop time....Or check price of package deal if you buy from dealer......Pretty sure I  paid more for the labor than the tires.

My local indepdent shop is charging $65 each for the tires (probably from Amazon) and $100 each to change the tires, so like Stig suggested, the labor will cost more than the tires themselves.  Basically, $330 to replace the stock OEM tires with Michelin City Grip tires. 

He said he'd replace the drive belt at the same time for $150 (parts & labor).

Spending $480 on a 7 year old Like 200i to replace the tires and drive belt seems too expensive, doesn't it?  While I love my scotter, it's probably got a blue blook value of $1000 (tops), so to spend 50% of it's value on tires and a drive belt doesn't appear to make economic sense IMHO.

Thoughts?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 09:21:18 PM »
Yeah, I see your problem.
How many miles on the scooter?

7 years ? - yeah that belt could stand to be renewed just from age - as do the tires, to be on the safe side.

It sounds like they're charging an hour shop time for the belt, and an hour for each tire replacement.
A speedy guy might do the front tire in 1/2 an hour. The rear could certainly take most of an hour.
And the belt 3/4 of an hour....without slapping through it.

If you're an experienced mechanic with scooters - you could remove both wheels and take to the shop for the tire installations. You could also do the belt replacement (and toss in some fresh rollers while you're in there and a  new exhaust gasket after removing exhaust)

Your $ would be @ $18 for the rollers and $48 for the belt, + price of a pair of tires - plus the mounting fee for the tires onto your rims.

A lot of work on your part - but could get it done for maybe $225. +/-

The upside is - if you don't have a lot of miles on your scooter - you'll be good for a long time.
Really depends on your willingness to do the work - and how many miles you have on the scooter (ie. does it need valves checked, brake pads replaced, brake fluid replaced, air filter, spark plug, fluid changes - ?)

IF you have a good sound scooter - even his price would not be crazy if you plan to keeep the scooter for a long time.
These things don't re-sell for much - but the cost to replace a good running LIKE200i with another good running scooter might make these repair costs seem easier to take?

Stig
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 09:35:40 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

IAATM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 07:33:32 PM »
How many miles on the scooter?

7 years ? - yeah that belt could stand to be renewed just from age - as do the tires, to be on the safe side.

A lot of work on your part - but could get it done for maybe $225. +/-

How many miles you have on the scooter (ie. does it need valves checked, brake pads replaced, brake fluid replaced, air filter, spark plug, fluid changes - ?)

Stig

Thanks. I agree that replacing the tires and belt based on age is prudent.

It has 1750 miles on it.

I now ride it about 125 miles per month and have had it for four months. 

No, I haven't yet checked the valves, or replaced the pads or brake fluid, but have replaced the air filter, plug, PCV valve, and fluids myself.

Would I better off selling this scooter and replacing it with a brand-new 2018 Like 200i from a dealer for $2k, rather than investing in new rubber?

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 10:15:35 PM »
Thanks. I agree that replacing the tires and belt based on age is prudent.

It has 1750 miles on it.

I now ride it about 125 miles per month and have had it for four months. 

No, I haven't yet checked the valves, or replaced the pads or brake fluid, but have replaced the air filter, plug, PCV valve, and fluids myself.

Would I better off selling this scooter and replacing it with a brand-new 2018 Like 200i from a dealer for $2k, rather than investing in new rubber?

Remember a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush! Keep the one you've got and put new rubber on it. ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 12:07:09 AM »
If you're at least considering buying new.....I'd keep what you have, as is - and ride it some more while you think about what you'd really like.
At @30 miles a week - probably nothing more needs doing immediately.
Do inspect the tires carefully....and remember - even a new LIKE200i will not come with anything like a Michelin tire.
These first generation LIKE200i's have proven to be robust and trouble free 'urban' scooters.
Verdict is still out on the 2nd gen. models.

How long will you be keeping either one?
10+ yrs ??....I'd buy new.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()