Author Topic: About the warranty  (Read 7228 times)

Emil

• View Profile
About the warranty
« on: September 01, 2010, 10:21:31 PM »
Hello,

I just wanted to share this with you.
About a month ago I contacted Kymco and asked them if their warranty would cover my squeaking front brake. Thought I would ask them directly because I don't really trust my dealer. And this was the answer:

Generally this type issue is not covered under the warranty program. It is normally caused by excessive heat buildup in the brakes from improper usage like holding the brakes while riding or other harsh usage.

So they right away accused me of abusing the scooter. And I mean, which idiot holds the brake while riding?
Then I wrote again, basically telling them that I did not abuse the scooter (assuming that using the brakes is not abuse) and received this answer:

You may have your unit checked, and we will gladly consider more details if they can be given by the dealer. However, keep in mind that this repair is not likely to be covered under the warranty program and that you most likely will be billed for the charges.

What can I say - maybe something like use the warranty as toilet paper?
Well, for sure don't think the warranty will cover anything because it will all be blamed on "improper usage".

-Emil

art

• View Profile
Re: About the warranty
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 10:58:38 PM »
  Squeeky brakes are kinda common,a quik clean with some brake cleaner is a tipical maintanince deal some times a rock or something can get stuck in there. Give it a good look, If it is some thing else take it in and have them give you an opinion, my local shop would have a mechanic give it a look for free If it was a defect they should replace it under waranty. But not all shops are the same. Some of the brake material is prone to squeek more than others metel flake in the pads.
  If your shop is half decent the should look at it for free. If they want repeate bussiness  ;)
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 11:13:01 PM »
I once brought the scooter to my dealer for a general check and also asked them to have a look at the brake. They ended up not looking at the brake, in fact I don't think they did more than checking the air filter and changing the engine oil (what I asked them not to do). And gone where $90 bucks.
Also I don't think that it's dirt that's causing the squeak. First I would say that the squeak would disappear when the dirt wears off and also I can see that there is not enough distance between the disk and the brake pads. When I turn the wheel with my hand I can hear the pads grinding on the disk. Maybe this could help? http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_pageCCS=t#page=/item_details/Anit-Squeal-Brake-Shims-Pack-of-4/2498.
Surely I will replace the pads soon and clean what can be cleaned. Maybe sanding the disk with with very fine sand paper...?

art

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 11:26:40 PM »
 Usually a cleaning is good to go with some brake cleaner,a light sanding can't hurt either(could be a metel shaving at the serface). Thats not cool about your shop got a reciept take it back and ask. A good machanic can look at and pull the brake lever in a second a tell ya what it needs in most cases. I would look for another shop if thay don't do that for ya.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 11:32:09 PM »
..we hear so many shop horror stories..sound like you're in the middle of a nightmare emil..

..if you can hear "grinding", then there is a PROBLEM!!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 09:55:57 AM »
Hello,

I just wanted to share this with you.
About a month ago I contacted Kymco and asked them if their warranty would cover my squeaking front brake. Thought I would ask them directly because I don't really trust my dealer. And this was the answer:

Generally this type issue is not covered under the warranty program. It is normally caused by excessive heat buildup in the brakes from improper usage like holding the brakes while riding or other harsh usage.

So they right away accused me of abusing the scooter. And I mean, which idiot holds the brake while riding?
Then I wrote again, basically telling them that I did not abuse the scooter (assuming that using the brakes is not abuse) and received this answer:

You may have your unit checked, and we will gladly consider more details if they can be given by the dealer. However, keep in mind that this repair is not likely to be covered under the warranty program and that you most likely will be billed for the charges.

What can I say - maybe something like use the warranty as toilet paper?
Well, for sure don't think the warranty will cover anything because it will all be blamed on "improper usage".

-Emil

To fully understand their response you should comprehend how silly it sounds to somebody who is involved with scooter sales to deal with complaints about "squeaky brake".

Similar situation to this would be complaining to fridge manufacturer because the motor causes noise when the temperature drops.

Change the pads and it will not produce the noise anymore or learn to live with it until they are worn out. :)

p.s. In small print of most car/scooter/bike manuals, if you read them carefully, you will find that noises are NOT covered by warranty. Just bought a car recently and it is also written for that particular car too.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:58:00 AM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 01:55:07 PM »
Yeah, squeaky brakes are not a warranty issue.  Though annoying if you have pad it should not be an issue.  Cleaning usually helps and in some cases I have had to take the pads out clean them and when I put them back in I use some anti squeak brake compound on the back of the pads.  This basically sticks them to the caliper or piston and keeps them from vibrating when you first put the bakes on.  A common cause of the noise in disk brakes.  You can get the compound from Autozone or any auto parts store.  Usually a dollar for a small packet that will do several wheels. 
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 03:22:35 PM »
Yeah, squeaky brakes are not a warranty issue.  Though annoying if you have pad it should not be an issue.  Cleaning usually helps and in some cases I have had to take the pads out clean them and when I put them back in I use some anti squeak brake compound on the back of the pads.  This basically sticks them to the caliper or piston and keeps them from vibrating when you first put the bakes on.  A common cause of the noise in disk brakes.  You can get the compound from Autozone or any auto parts store.  Usually a dollar for a small packet that will do several wheels. 

In 99 % the annoying sound goes away by itself as the pads wear out. Usually the culprit is a small embedded particle inside one of the pads that causes interesting sound effects.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 04:18:38 PM »
Sorry to say that, but the sample with the fridge is bullsh**  ;). I am not hearing such squeaking brakes anywhere in the road (ok, occasionally from some 20yrs old wreck on wheels). If your scooter or car would constantly squeak so that people 150yards away can hear it you would also rather run to the dealer than spending $35 bucks on new pads and a couple of hours trying to track the problem down.
Well, maybe I was not clear enough. The noise is constantly there - sometimes worse, sometimes not too loud,  but always annoying. Even with a helmet over the ears. It started after the first couple of hundred kilometers and it has not disappeared over the last 5000 kilometers. And as I said, when I spin the wheel (without holding the brakes) I can hear the pads grinding on the disk. It also applies some friction, funny though it doesn't seem to be enough to heat the disk up.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 06:13:44 PM »
..something's not right...

..i hears nothing when i spin the front wheel of either of my scoots....

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 06:15:52 PM »
I've heard such noise from a number of my vehicles, especially in the past. It seems that pad formula has changed in the past decade, it was much more usual in 90s and probably before. I know that they do not use asbestos anymore.

Guys gave you several advices here.

I will add one more, the solution to your problem is five bucks away: http://www.getgeared.co.uk/PROCYCLE_Copper_Paste_100ml
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 09:06:11 PM »
G'day Emil, I realise this doesn't help with your problem but, last year I bought a Suzuki GS500 new, during looking at these bikes on the net, about the only problem that I found was a tendency for the rear brake to squeal, after buying the bike, I found that the rear brake did squeal after only a few hundred kilometres. When I took the bike back for the 1,000 km service I spoke to the service manager and he asked "was that under light braking?". When I picked the bike up I noticed the squeal was gone, for a short time, but it is back. I think it might just be the materials used in brake pads now, combined with light usage. If your braking is only light most of the time you might be able to try a different pad. Having spoken to a local brake shop about brake pads, the bloke told me that Bendix pads were not suited to our local area in a car because we don't have hard enough braking conditions to get the rotors up to a high enough temperature to bed those particular pads in properly, our area is not hilly and we don't have bad traffic congestion like in major cities.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 09:24:32 PM »
And as I said, when I spin the wheel (without holding the brakes) I can hear the pads grinding on the disk. It also applies some friction

..a "slight" rubbing sound should draw no concern...but a obvious "grind" to the point that it stops your wheel is not really normal....

....hope it's not a wheel bearing that you hear grinding....

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 11:43:13 PM »
..one man's grind is another man's rub...

..that's what SHE said, anyway.....

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 11:46:11 PM »
PMSL:)
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()