Author Topic: Have you ever come off your ride?  (Read 1041 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Have you ever come off your ride?
« on: February 08, 2019, 12:39:25 PM »
 Reading posts from riders who like to discuss how far they can lean in corners.
Was wondering....has anyone had an "off" which did not occur while in a corner, or was not  caused by another vehicle?
Just riding and came off?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

big blue

• View Profile
Re: Have you ever come off your ride?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 09:42:36 PM »
I had an "off" while riding a Suzuki TS125 in the dirt. I came down a dry wash and at the bottom was what appeared to be a bit of sand. When my front wheel went onto the sand it turned out to be a hole about 8 inches deep causing my front end to dig in and I was launched over the bars into a bit of scrub brush. I only got some scratches and bruises but learned something about "ass"uming  anything.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:44:07 PM by big blue »
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 11:06:42 PM »
Had three dumps, two in corners one straight ahead. The straight ahead was first bike, first ride, 1960, Honda Hawk 250. Similar to riding parallel to a railroad track then trying to cross....

The piers in Yokosuka, Japan (pronounced yo-koos-ka) were riveted steel plate barges. The lapped joints ran length-wise and I tried to cross at a very small angle and went down. This was prior to loading aboard ship for the trip home. Minor damage to both machine and rider.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

sailorman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 12:46:51 AM »
Took a Honda CB350 off the road (loose gravel on a turn) and over a cliff in the Blue Ridge mountains circa 1978.  Rider grabbed a bush on the way over but the bike got scraped up pretty bad.
Honda CB350 (Ret.)
Honda Metropolitan
Kymco 200i

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 06:52:21 AM »
I dropped my scoot two times in the summer of 2018. Both times at very low speed. First time I got my front wheel in a deep pot hole. Second time I was doing a U turn on a country road. The steering locked and it threw my so fast I didn`t know what happened.
I have been riding two wheelers all my life and have never done this before. I`m 69 and starting to wonder about abilities.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 06:44:21 PM »
I dropped my scoot two times in the summer of 2018. Both times at very low speed. First time I got my front wheel in a deep pot hole. Second time I was doing a U turn on a country road. The steering locked and it threw my so fast I didn`t know what happened.
I have been riding two wheelers all my life and have never done this before. I`m 69 and starting to wonder about abilities.
Yeah boo, age can sometimes trim away our fine balance - the stuff you notice & need most at low speeds.
I think it helps a lot to be aware of this small difference in our bodies - and take appropriate steps.....like come to a stop, dismount and turn around....or pull off the road and do the same. Give yourself more maneuvering space...?

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 10:01:23 PM »
Yes.  I was riding along on my FJ1100 at around 60 when there was a bang and the bike went into a violent tank slapper.  I ended up crashing since I couldn't even keep my hands on the bars and it went into a small embankment beside the road.  The bike ended up being totaled.  I walked away without a scratch.  I was wearing full leathers. 

What caused it?  I'm not positive but I did find a scratched up rock about the size of a brick near the edge of the road.  I think I hit it with the edge of my front tire and knocked it off the road.

Anyway, the bike was totaled so I had a good excuse to go out and buy a faster bike ;D
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 08:59:25 AM »
Yes - I was in a foul mood after work back in 2013, wasn't paying enough attention and launched myself and my Honda C90 into a flower bed in front of B&Q, the ubiquitous British hardware supermarket.

The audience stood at the nearby burger van laughed their socks off.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

djson280

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 09:55:17 AM »
Come off a road bike, only once, about 40 years ago, when i was a youngster. it was my 1st bike Suzuki GSX250, in those days you could have a 250 as  learner.

However I had not learnt enough; so off I slid into an old ladies hedge, out she came "are you alright"

Yes I was fine, lucky really as i landed on soft ground.

I came off because there was dew on the ground, and I had never been round that corner, with it being damp.

Taught me a good lesson.

Trails bike: I've been off a good few times, on rough ground, trying to do too much etc.

Never hurt myself. I used to do off road motorbike tours in the mountains of Spain, 12 years ago. Not I can't even get on a motorbike.

I damaged y back when I was 24.

So that is why I have a small scooter now, so I don't have to throw my leg over.

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 10:04:36 AM »
1968, on a straight, CL77.  1970, on a curve, CB350.  Rider error. 

OldCoot

• View Profile
    • Steve Wike
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 09:50:08 PM »
In the late 70's I had a stupid little accident. I was riding my Honda TL250 and only going about walking speed on the side of a steep grassy hill when I hit a hidden hole. It stopped me and I fell to the high side of the hill and just held on. Smacked my shoulder and broke it. Could have easily hopped off and avoided injury.

OldCoot, aka Brick Head
Greer, SC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()