Author Topic: Steering Column Loose  (Read 3218 times)

Dayooper

• View Profile
Steering Column Loose
« on: February 14, 2019, 03:09:01 PM »
The steering wheel is loose and wobbles up, down and side to side. I checked the height placement and it's definitely not that. Took the cover off the sides and top, most screws are for the cover itself. There's one bolt on top of the shaft running down the center of the column underneath the Kymco symbol on the wheel. The shaft is wobbling inside that housing. Before I go tightening that one up, anywhere else to check?
2017 Kymco 450i LE, 1,085 miles. Last service August 2018.

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Steering Column Loose
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 04:27:58 PM »
What did you figure out?  I have the same machine but no issues yet, but would like to be prepared just in case.

SuperHeliDave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 07:11:23 PM »
there is a plastic bushing that centers it in the bore. It may have worked its self out. Mine Did..
It can always be climbed.....

jw_334

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 03:58:25 AM »
Just brought mine home, brand new from the dealer it has the same problem. Will have to check it out.

there is a plastic bushing that centers it in the bore. It may have worked its self out. Mine Did..

jw_334

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 05:02:50 PM »
Ok. I was prepared for a battle, but this ended up being a super easy fix. I took off the plastic housing around the steering shaft just to realize that all i needed to do was pop off the steering wheel bolt cover in the middle of the steering wheel. Using a flat head screw driver i pushed the bushing surrounding the shaft back down into the hole. Fixed. Hopefully this does not work itself out often but if it does it is an easy fix.

Dayooper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 09:11:44 PM »
Plastic bushing was the ticket

Coach

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 08:49:15 PM »
Mine just started wobbling this weekend while riding.
At least now I know where to look.
Retired outdoor bum!
I like it too!

Coach

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 09:01:38 PM »
My steering wheel wobble was caused by the bushing that was mentioned above. I prayed it back in place and it’s back to norma. What an easy fix! Thanks guys.
Retired outdoor bum!
I like it too!

mtbrbike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 12:46:03 AM »
Hello,

I took delivery on a new 2020 450I and I really like it.  This is my 2nd Kymco as I had a 700I uxv before but left it with the house we just sold.  But anyway the 450i has loose steering does anyone have pics of the washer or how to fix it?

Thanks

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()