Author Topic: Parts Availability?  (Read 798 times)

SeniorScooter

• View Profile
Parts Availability?
« on: February 16, 2019, 01:15:06 AM »
You may have seen my ad for my 2018 Like. I had a man ask me about future parts availability since the 200 is now discontinued by Kymco. Don't most manufacturers make parts for several years after they quit making the actual scooter. Or...at least have a good supply since in the case of the Like, they were made for several years? I know that for many bikes and scooters (and certainly cars and trucks) parts are readily available for a long time after the model (or even the brand) is discontinued. Any thoughts on this since I may have others ask about it? Thanks!
Scoot with others the way you would want them to scoot with you.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Parts Availability?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 04:34:33 PM »
Back in the day when I played with cars I was told it was a law in this country to have parts available for eleven years after the date of manufacture. I am sure that such a law has been ignored by the car people more than once! I do not think it applies to motorcycles or scooters. However, to deal with the question, my opinion is with proper routine maintenance the need for parts that only the manufacturer can make will be a minimum or zero with Kymco. Batteries, oil and air filters, tires, light bulbs are all after market and redily available. Proper maintenance and operation will minimize the need for pistons, gears, wheel rims, etc. Stig has operated his Like daily for several years without repair parts with one glaring exception. Another rider just recently stated he rode his 500i for 9 years and going!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 06:46:25 PM »
There were @ 4 driveability issues with the LIKE200i mentioned on this forum:
 2 or 3 throttle position sensors from a bad batch in the year 2012 models (2 found within 2 yr free warranty period)
Another guy with out of round wheels (or tires) from new.

Your 2018 has a fully transferable 2 yr warranty.

There are plenty of spares in this country for a scooter first introduced here 9 years ago!.....some might be a little dusty because the LIKE is so robust and rarely needs much more than fluid changes and tires.

If a LIKE200i engine or CVT has ever grenaded - I haven't heard about it. Maybe someone has broken a belt - and kept it a secret?

So, to answer your nervous buyers: Not sure there's anything you can say to convince the really nervous Nellies - but parts are not an issue. Repairs are rarely needed - and the scoot is ridiculously easy to self-service. You are selling one of Kymco's most popular scooters, and one with a great reputation for robustness.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 07:43:13 PM »
See! Tell that guy not to sweat it, Senior!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

SeniorScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 03:06:48 AM »
Thanks for all the input. Have been going round and round with a nice older gentleman who has been getting info from...drum roll...a Kymco salesperson! I kinda thought so. Naturally they would like to sell him a new scoot, even if it is a discontinued model! But, he recognizes that my scoot with 700 miles on it is a real deal...even if the figure he presented me with actually came from, who else, the sales guy. He is coming to see it this week and I hope he ends up buying it. I will pass on the encouraging comments from you seasoned Like owners. Not getting what I hoped to but if it gels, it is acceptable.

Thanks Again!
Scoot with others the way you would want them to scoot with you.

sailorman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 09:07:43 PM »
One part I think might be worth having a backup for is the CDI box. Has anyone actually installed one of the generic GY6 boxes for sale on eBay?  Do they work on the 200i?
Honda CB350 (Ret.)
Honda Metropolitan
Kymco 200i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 11:29:55 PM »
One part I think might be worth having a backup for is the CDI box. Has anyone actually installed one of the generic GY6 boxes for sale on eBay?  Do they work on the 200i?
No need.
LIKE200i has Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) and uses an Electronic Control Unit (ECU) to control both the ignition and the fuel.

CDI controls ignition while the carb controls the fuel on non-EFI scoots.

No one that I know of carries a spare throttle body/ECU assembly under the seat of a EFinjected scoot.

An ebay CDI should not be used on EFI scooter.
We don't  encounter failed throttle body/ECUs on our LIKE200I rides......😊

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

sailorman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 03:45:52 AM »
OK, that explains why nothing pops for a 200i CDI when I do a search for one!
 But should we not have a spare ECU then, if 200i is to be  no longer supported by manufacturer?  The mechanical parts seem to be readily available.  The electronic ones, perhaps not so much....?
Honda CB350 (Ret.)
Honda Metropolitan
Kymco 200i

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 07:57:04 AM »
It will be an off-the-shelf FI system from one of the Japanese manufacturers, I can't imagine it'll be too difficult to source :)
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

KymcoRockr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 06:20:36 AM »
Back in the day when I played with cars I was told it was a law in this country to have parts available for eleven years after the date of manufacture. I am sure that such a law has been ignored by the car people more than once! I do not think it applies to motorcycles or scooters.
I'm pretty sure it's less than eleven years, but no, it hasn't been ignored by the car people, and yes, it does apply to motorcycles and scooters.
Been riding for a very long time.
AK550
Yager 200

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 11:22:44 AM »
Is it 7 years?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 11:51:55 AM »
In the UK, people get around this by being "importers" and then, when manufacturers withdraw spares support in their home country, it's "outside of our control".
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()