Author Topic: Proposal----riding  (Read 1504 times)

john grinsel

• View Profile
Proposal----riding
« on: February 16, 2019, 02:54:13 PM »
Since I am rider,, not trailer biker, and planning to ride to 48 states in 2019, 2014 did 49 states with AK(Burgman 400 and Suzuki TU250)---So,my wife has church group visiting around 22 Mar and she/they do not want me around!

So I will go on ride about 15 Mar to CA, touching all states possible start using southern route to avoid any snow ( I have been snowed in many times in Flagstaff AZ!)  Return I-40...maybe?

Bike I will be using is my 2019 Kymco Xtown 300i----dog in Givi Box, my stuff in 2 Ortleib rubber bags, proper riding clothes (including rubber boots and rain over mitts) and feather stuff for keeping warm if necessary.

General daily mileage---250-400 miles....at 400 miles I find my ear canals start to bother me from foam plugs.  I take no days of rest, but 250 mile day allows extra rest.  I am old, so have to pee a lot.

Expense=about $100 a day....if I can hold it to that, Use Motel  6 when I can, fast food or other that appeals to me.  But do take feather sleeping bag and bivy sack in case no motel found.

Now my Proposal:  Anybody wanting to go along is welcome!  Min.250cc and bike/scooter new or in good shape...I hate to wrench along the road.

Probably will be on road for 2 weeks or so.   I think wonderful opportunity for somebody who has never done this or just likes riding.

Takers?   Starting point boring Chattanooga TN.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Proposal----riding
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 03:44:17 PM »
What a heck ovva idea! I don't know if I could keep up with any of ya especially on that 400 miles/day! I can't go anyway for several reasons. But, John, I do plan to make my August run to Huntsville, AL for the Hamfest convention......
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 05:50:35 PM »
Sounds great - please take along a good camera and take many scenic photos with the Kymco in each picture. (superb nature pix are a dime a dozen - but those with a Kymco scooter in them are rare!)
(I've crossed this continent (Atlantic to Pacific) 4 times with my thumb, pack and guitar - but on a scooter would be really cool, too!)

I hope you get a taker!

Maybe give some thought to shooting an email to KYMCOUSA - and tell them of your planned adventure.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 06:55:29 PM »
Not adventure,just a ride, something I have been doing since 1955.   I do not take pictures or use GPS either.  Paper maps work for me, although up to date work better.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 09:48:46 PM »
   Starting point boring Chattanooga TN.

Boring Chattanooga?  What's so boring about it?  From a riding point of view one of the better cities to live in.  I ride through there fairly frequently on my way to the mountains East of there. 

As for your ride, have fun. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 10:28:43 PM »
Vivo used to say...."no pics, it didn't  happen!"

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 08:57:52 AM »
Sounds like a cracking ride. Have a safe trip. I hope to ride the US one day, but I reckon it's a long way off still!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 03:51:50 PM »
Since I see no takers---I will be on ride solo.

Comment on boring Chattanooga----crappy food, poor medical, idiot drivers and terrible tap beer.   Yes riding if you go in the mountains can be interesting, remembering these roads have in most cases, no shoulders----mistake and you are in the woods.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 05:46:32 PM »
Since I see no takers---I will be on ride solo.

Comment on boring Chattanooga----crappy food, poor medical, idiot drivers and terrible tap beer. 

Actually nice to see names of places where we've been before. During 2014 we toured from Bondurant IA all the way down to Edisto Beach SC. On our way back to Bondurant we followed a different route, and passed Chattanooga on the highway. We did'nt stop - but I remember my son pointed at the town and said "dad - that's where VW cars get assembled in the United States".

Unfortunately we didn't tour by scooter or motorcycle - we hired a 7 seater Dodge Grand Caravan for the tour.

Good memories.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:01:52 PM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 07:01:28 PM »
Comment on boring Chattanooga----crappy food, poor medical, idiot drivers and terrible tap beer.   Yes riding if you go in the mountains can be interesting, remembering these roads have in most cases, no shoulders----mistake and you are in the woods.

I haven't spent much time in Chattanooga, Just pass through it several times a year.  Those roads East of Chattanooga IMO are the best east of the Rockies.  I have been riding them for nearly 30 years.  Lack of shoulders just never bothered me.  Yes one mistake can put you in the woods but a mistake any time you ride on any road can put you in the hospital. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 06:45:31 PM »
Would love to go along, but alas that nasty four letter word gets in my way (w**k).

If ya ping me when ya hit the PNW (I'm in the Seattle area)  I'll gladly tag along a bit if I'm not engaged in that unpleasantness or otherwise engaged.
Heck Coffee's on me.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 08:39:39 PM »
Probably will not get to Seattle area this year----touch Washington state in Eastern Washington.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 12:13:05 AM »
Well heck, if ya decide to risk the Cascades lemme know. 
I get out to eastern WA a bit on summer rides but honestly it's usually so nice on the west side of the mountains I tend to stick there.  I'm debating a week long run down 101/1 sometime this summer.

Probably will not get to Seattle area this year----touch Washington state in Eastern Washington.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

OldCoot

• View Profile
    • Steve Wike
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 09:58:02 PM »
Would love to join you but I got an upgraded pacemaker recently and doc says I need to take some time off to recover. I'd probably slow you down too much anyway.

OldCoot, aka Brick Head
Greer, SC

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 12:39:58 PM »
I have survived heart attack, stroke and 20 years active duty military....and feel fine.   One secret is only let one Dr dole out pills and have another check his work----I trust Internal Medicine who are properly trained....the rest here in the south are just pill pushers, TN ranks 46th in the quality of care in US----US ranks 36th in care quality in the world.   Having lived overseas 40 years I believe it.

Here, over 75, they just give pills if you let them.....locals don't live over 75 so often.   Have to watch them.

To me riding bike is less stressful than driving car----proper clothes/boots important.

Have fun.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()