Author Topic: My New (to me) Xciting 500  (Read 3710 times)

TimC

• View Profile
My New (to me) Xciting 500
« on: February 24, 2019, 02:50:20 AM »
I was able to find and make a deal for a 2007 X-500 that I brought home today. My last ride was a Silverwing that I loved but had to part with a little over a year ago, and I've really missed riding. Advancing age and little things like arthritis are starting to get in the way of me being able to still get a leg over tall adventure bikes, so I decided to go back to another scooter, which was what I started out on many, many years ago.
I found this deal on Craigslist. It had new tires and a fresh servicing & tune-up The owner said it had a bit over 13,000 miles on it, but he realized today that it accidentally gotten set to kilometers, so it really only had 8,243 miles on it, which made the deal even better, lol. I had also checked into other bikes and scooters, including a Majesty that I took for a test ride, but while the motor was nice, it just didn't fit me as well (I'm 6'1") and it didn't ride as smoothly over bumps (for my weight umm, uh, 280#). And, it didn't help the sales-pitch for the Majesty that the fellow wanted $1,200 more for it than I would have to pay for the Kymco!  Oh, and it's the blue one, so it goes faster, lol.
The trip home was just over an hour and was 56 miles. It handled great and had plenty of juice for zipping through city traffic and out on the highway cruising at 65-70 mph was smooth as silk. I've heard that these speedometers are a bit optimistic, so what's the verdict on that? I think I'll go out and find one of those radar signs so I can test it out, lol.
Now, I want to start adding some things, like a windshield extender. I also need to ask where (and how) are you folks mounting a phone?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 12:37:57 AM by TimC »

AlexisStarlyn

• View Profile
Re: My New (to me) Xciting 500
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 09:23:19 AM »
Now, I want to start adding some things, like a windshield extender. I also need to ask where (and how) are you folks mounting a phone?
I use a wireless charging car mount, mounted straight to the windshield, and rubber bands to keep any movement, also lets me not worry about charge on LONG trips.
I run a givi windshield that basically completely removes wind from the driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 02:45:30 PM »
Congrats on the new ride.
But you know:

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES.

I'm a recent convert to Kymco scooters and I find myself loving them. But I still love my Swing even though I don't ride her as often.

TimC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 02:47:59 AM »
Photo has been added, just for you, Uncle Jed, lol.

Alexis, what kind of wireless mounting/chargrer are you using? Any photos of your set-up?
Thanks.

AlexisStarlyn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 02:49:51 AM »
Photo has been added, just for you, Uncle Jed, lol.

Alexis, what kind of wireless mounting/chargrer are you using? Any photos of your set-up?
Thanks.
My set up is over in the Xciting 400i thread!
I got the charger at walmart, in the electronics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 07:05:51 AM »
I think the speedometer on the xciting is closer to accurate than most. Most of what I’ve read has it at around 5%. That’s consistent with that of the xciting 250 that I used to own. My Majesty was off around 10%. I mounted a gps to my xciting to verify my true speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 02:42:34 PM »
Wow Tim!
She be bootyful.
I do indeed love that shade of blue....

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 10:34:01 PM »
Yes, that blue is striking! You sure it's a Kymco?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Scootmaster

• If you're too busy to ride, you're too busy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 02:48:13 AM »
I picked up an 09 X500 last April for a song. I use RAM Mounts to mount my phone,GPS. They make a mount that attaches to the mirror stem. Works great. Tried to post a pick but it won't let me. File size issue.
2011 Kymco People 50
2009 Kymco Xciting 500Ri
2004 Honda VTX1300S
2008 Honda Goldwing GL1800

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 04:08:19 PM »
Join the club scootmaster! Ya gotta use a photo reducer "app" to shrink the data size. Every time I load a free resizer something happens to it the next time I want to post it does not work so I gotta try another one....argh!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

TimC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 12:45:03 AM »
Yes, that blue is striking! You sure it's a Kymco?

Ype, says so right there on the windshield (and some other places too, lol).

TimC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 05:19:35 AM »
I added a wind deflecting "wing" to the top of the wind shield, and it is working great. I started with it set to the highest position, and have been moving it back down gradually. In the highest position, it was partially blocking my view of the road ahead, but now that it's lowered almost all the way down, it still puts the wind way up just skimming the top of my helmet, but I can see over it very nicely, no problem. This thing sure is fun to ride and I like the handling. I checked my first tank full of gas and it was 50 mpg. I imagine once I quit being heavy handed with the throttle, the mileage will improve accordingly, lol.
Yep, love my X-500.
I was questioning the accuracy of my speedometer, and found a radar sign that shows you your speed and flashes at you if you're going too fast. I have used this same radar to check several vehicles, and all have been spot on. But, my Kymco is indicating about 7 mph faster than what the radar says is happening. This is good in that it is doubtful that I will be doing much speeding, but I like to run at the same speed as the traffic around me (I surely don't want to get hit from behind because I'm going too slow). The previous owner had just put new Michelin tires on it and if they are taller, that could be part of the cause.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 05:28:07 AM by TimC »

TimC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 12:58:41 AM »
For various reasons I decided to go to the dark side and sold my beloved Xciting 500. To replace it I just got a lovingly used Vulcan Classic 1500. This has three times the CC's, but the penalty is almost twice the weight! I have to say, though, the pull when you twist the throttle is really, really awesome.

BigBlue505

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 11:47:07 AM »
My speedometer's way off, like about 25% optimistic, and that's with the correct size tire up front.  If I divide the KPH reading by two, I get an accurate MPH reading.  I'm eventually going to get a new speedometer (the LCD clock and odometer are going out), but I don't know if it'll make much difference on the speed accuracy.  My odometer is about 8% optimistic. 
2008 Kymco Xciting
New Mexico

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 01:36:25 AM »
My speedometer's way off, like about 25% optimistic, and that's with the correct size tire up front.  If I divide the KPH reading by two, I get an accurate MPH reading.  I'm eventually going to get a new speedometer (the LCD clock and odometer are going out), but I don't know if it'll make much difference on the speed accuracy.  My odometer is about 8% optimistic.
That’s strange. Xciting speedometers have a reputation for being close to accurate. I believe about 5% is typical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()