Author Topic: Can't access Downtown underseat release storage -- latch doesn't release w key  (Read 2650 times)

pttdds

• View Profile
Troubled by not getting under seat access on my 2016 Downtown 300i scooter.  Have some important stuff in there and can't get to it.  It has been difficult to release from day one.  The dealership mechanic had the seat off during servicing and after my complaint showed me that the electrically activated cable was working when the key was turned both left and right.  He could not see anything wrong. Now back home weeks later, twisting the key; pushing it down and pushing; all directions.  No action; no clicking sound; and no release.  A shame to take it back to the dealer just for that, but ....
Grew up riding dirt bikes in Idaho.  Have usually had a two wheeler around.  Currently 2016 Kymco Downtown 300i.  Limited mechanical skills.  Favorite book; Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.+

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
You can open it by crouching on the right side of the machine, look up and see the backside of the ignition switch. Reach up and pull the black cable housing and that should unlatch the seat. This seat latch is entirely mechanical and is very picky-sticky without some lube.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

stuo

• View Profile
If it's the same as my 2011 DT, the latch design is the problem: two latches on one cable. My solution was to remove the port side latch by removing the latch bracket from the seat pan and then tighten the cable adjustment until it releases with the slightest key movement. Two latches is overkill: the right side latch has the light switch on it; the left side latch is not needed.
2009 GV 250

pttdds

• View Profile
Thanks for the responses. 
It sounds like something I should be able to handle -- with help.  My neighbor who also has a Kymco (500cc) is much more adept mechanically than I am.  When I showed him your responses he volunteered to help me tackle the problem since your descriptions made it seem feasible.
Very helpful comments!
Thanks!
Don

Will give you a report after we tackle it.
Grew up riding dirt bikes in Idaho.  Have usually had a two wheeler around.  Currently 2016 Kymco Downtown 300i.  Limited mechanical skills.  Favorite book; Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.+

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
  if the seat does not open , you could remove the front of the scoot to get at the back of the key ignition, there is one bolt holding the cable on ,remove that and pull the cable to open the seatthen adjust the cable before you close the seat , and do what some-one said remove one lock off the seat, 

pttdds

• View Profile
After taking off most of the front cowling I came back to this discussion as my progress was very slow. 
Key to the next step was Crossbolt telling me the cable was not electrical as I had assumed. 
It didn't matter that the battery was dead.
Fussing more with the key my neighbor and I managed to pop the seat open.
Went from there to taking off the seat etc. and charging the battery.
All working well now except the odometer changed from miles to kilometers and the clock is messed up.
Assuming I can eventually correct those problems.
It was not hard to reassemble the front cowling.
Don

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
The instructions for changing to miles and clock setting are in the owners manual and they seem correct! The default is kilometers so you will have to do it every time you disconnect the battery. The manual is on the internet for freebee download.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

moparkid

• View Profile
I removed the hold down bracket on the seat that latches to the release early on when I bought the bike because I was leery of the cable system and since I dont have valuables stored under the seat I see no reason (for me) to have it locking, and I use an "x" bungee strap to keep seat closed while riding and storing. And in 7 years I have not regretted it. But to each his own as to how important a locking seat is to their riding pleasures.

Seanny

• View Profile
Just sharing my experience I had with my latch not releasing as well before.

Turns out, I installed the hydraulic underseat pole in the wrong direction and without any play (screwed the screws too tight) and so they got stuck and can't be released. The mechanic had to take out the covers revealing the frame of the bike and remove the underseat that way.

Not sure if this is relevant but just sharing, don't install the pole in reverse! Take pictures before removing anything if you are inexperienced like me lol.

GBBBiker

• View Profile
 >:(I did the reach under the front and pulled the cable. That released the right side but the left side did not release.i did this many times with no luck. TIA.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
GB, pull harder! Seriously, get someone to push down on the rear seat while you turn blue yanking on tthat cable housing.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Nireen

• View Profile
I removed the hold down bracket on the seat that latches to the release early on when I bought the bike because I was leery of the cable system and since I dont have valuables stored under the seat I see no reason (for me) to have it locking, and I use an "x" bungee strap to keep seat closed while riding and storing. And in 7 years I have not regretted it. But to each his own as to how important a locking seat is to their riding pleasures.

Now I would like this to.  I don't need the headache if it was to ever happen on my trips to my parents where I have no internet access to you guys for help.  This would drive me insane to get stuck with this. :) Can you show me a picture of what you took off?
Kat :)

GBBBiker

• View Profile
OK I pushed and pulled and got both sides open. I pulled the seat and underseat  bucket. I have access to both latches. Oiled both and they are working smoothly. BUT do not see any movement In either latch.I am going to try and get some oil down the cables. Any ideas on getting oil inti thecable.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
In two years I've not latched the seat on my Piaggio. Has an electric button, and back-up manual cable lever.
I keep nothing valuable under there. 'cept couple vintage Moon Pies
 Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
OK I pushed and pulled and got both sides open. I pulled the seat and underseat  bucket. I have access to both latches. Oiled both and they are working smoothly. BUT do not see any movement In either latch.I am going to try and get some oil down the cables. Any ideas on getting oil inti thecable.

Yeah, I do! Amazon, sports and outdoor, cable lubricator tool will get you what will work for less than 10 bucks USD.

Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()