Author Topic: If I won the lottery  (Read 4314 times)

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
If I won the lottery
« on: September 06, 2010, 09:45:55 PM »
... 'cause some guy who rides a Chinese 50cc scooter on the local forum thinks I'm nuts for saying I wouldn't have a modern Vespa in my Top Three.  :)

1.) Kymco Downtown 300i -- All around, the scooter I most think would fit my particular riding needs. Since I do not have a car, I need something that can do interstate speeds at times.

2.) Honda PCX125 -- Would be my every day "town runner." Great fuel economy, and reasonable speeds for inner-city travel.

3.) Suzuki Gemma 250 -- Yeah, this one would play hell at the county clerk (since they're not cleared for sale in the U.S.), but I could afford the tickets if I'd hit the lottery, eh?  ;)  Just LOVE the looks of this ugly thang.

4.) Yamaha Majesty 400 -- Have always admired the looks of this one, too. Maybe a bit more practical on the interstate than the Downtown, I could be talked out of this one, I'm sure.

art

• View Profile
Re: If I won the lottery
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 05:56:57 AM »
 I'd have to agree,considering price,performance and parts available. I'm realy liking the downtown 300i.
Now if i hit the lotto I think my dream scoot would be(it does not exist) Ha! A 2t honda cr250 cvt driven motor in a kymco people 150 frame,Liquid cooled of coarse!  ;D 
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:31:51 AM »
Hey art, there is your ultimate project. :)
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 07:47:36 AM »
I never play, but I would like a
1) Tmax 500 -- the better Xciting
2) Burgman 650 Exe -- luxury scooter touring
3) Deauville -- all purpose motorcycle
4) K1300GT -- luxury motorcycle touring

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 09:14:51 AM »
I can, just like you, pretty much afford any scooter on the market, because they do not cost that much, so my "lottery dreams" refer mostly to other things like apartments and cars. :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

art

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 05:37:12 PM »
  I know!!! i do have a couple aero 125 motors to play with some day  ;D

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 10:42:54 PM »
I can, just like you, pretty much afford any scooter on the market

..well, not me...

..i'd ship me a People GTi 300 to my front door...

..then mod th' crap outta it just because i could...

;D

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 08:37:32 AM »
I can, just like you, pretty much afford any scooter on the market

..well, not me...

..i'd ship me a People GTi 300 to my front door...

..then mod th' crap outta it just because i could...

;D

Well, if you really wanted to (I mean, if it was the object of your darkest dreams), I bet you would buy it in the next 6 or 12 months. :) :) :)

It is interesting how life changes as you get older. Owning a bike was 10 years ago just a matter of preference or hobby for me. Now, it is very difficult for me to go back to bikes. Scoots have several strong points: no gear changing, plastic body that shields electric installations better than in motorcycles (I do not have a garage, this is very important), flat floor where you can transport bags and backpacks, under seat storage (most bikes do not have it). Currently I could afford, if I saved some money, a nice new 700-1300 cc motorcycle, but before buying it, there will be a number of things I would have to consider. For example, when there is light rain on short distance, you can ride even without rain trousers. On motorcycle, the water splashes all over your trousers and shoes and you arrive to destination all dirty.

OTOH, scoots are work horses - small scoots are for me more fun than larger scoots, because all scoots >250 cc are quite fast, but do not have suspension or brakes to back that up. No scoot behaves like motorcycle in twisties.

In fact, I just wanted to say that I am getting old.  ??? :o :(

p.s. I know the answer: have both scoot and a bike... :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 08:40:45 AM by axy »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

art

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 09:35:46 AM »
  Ha! I hear ya axy. I'm one of those rare breeds that actually never rode street much when I was young. All dirt, every street bike I had ended up in a heap or some cager would scare the hell out of me to the point I would give the damn thing away.
   Get me off road and there arn't to many that could keep up with me.(no cars to avoid !)
 After a home accedent I realized I would never ride off road again and still had the need for a two wheeled vehicle in my life (so many years of playing with and tuneing dirt bikes),so I bought my first scoot (didn't have to lift my leg over the seat  :D ).
   I don't know what it is about the auto tranny and ease of handling that my fears of riding the street vanished. Now of course I like a highly tuned bike no matter what it is and could not imagine not haveing one at least in my life.
   I do believe the 16" tire scoots can be competitave some day. Woo hoo some ones high!  ;D but its all true, catch ya all later

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 10:25:05 AM »
OTOH, scoots are work horses - small scoots are for me more fun than larger scoots, because all scoots >250 cc are quite fast, but do not have suspension or brakes to back that up. No scoot behaves like motorcycle in twisties.
Had an Harley Davidson before and I am glad my scoots don't behave like this shaky straightforward-only-bike. ;D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:27:58 AM by ts1 »

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 12:16:04 PM »
Had an Harley Davidson before and I am glad my scoots don't behave like this shaky straightforward-only-bike. ;D

I said this many times and will repeat this again: scoots ride pretty much like lightweight customs because you sit "in them", not "on them", suspension is soft and brakes weak. Consequentially, there is a pronounced instability and wobble through curves.

Additionally, custom bikes handle like... well, like wheelbarrows. At least, that's my opinion.

Also, when I say "motorcycle", I think about big bore nakeds, sport touring and sports bikes. Customs are... well, customs. :)

These are my biggest issues with scoots. Handling, curves and braking. :) The bigger and heavier the scoot, the bigger these issues...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 12:18:10 PM by axy »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

Hardly Davidson

• Yippee Kyyay...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 08:43:55 AM »
Gentlemen, I've found  the answer.

Just as a bit of background, I rode motorcycles for most of my youth, everything from a moped (Honca C50 classic!) to a Silver wing, both legally and highly illegally  ;D Many years back, after walking away from a crash which left my bike embedded in a roundabout, I had a back injury at  work which really should have stopped the obsession with two wheels, but y'all know that it aint that simple right? My current ride is good as the low seat height means that I too can get my leg over  :o .... I agree that the handling of a custom takes some getting used to, but it's worth it just to see them boys on their 'plastic crotch rockets' look on in amazement as I tear round a bend with my knee on the deck lmao!

But..

I know that sooner or later I'm gonna have to get a scooter or a trike to ease my riding a bit, ok so that's what I thought until I dropped in at my mates bike shop. I just laid eyes on the Qlink Legacy 250. This has the looks of a nice custom bike, but the ease (yes it is an auto!!!) of a scooter... I think I'm in lust  ;D

Most places appear to be selling this as a girls bike, but to someone like me with often limited movement, it looks like a dream come true..

The only thing stopping me from trying out a scooter I think is my absolute lack of knowledge about them and the fact that the cheaper ones here in the uk have either been a) thrashed to death or b) thrown down the road

Anyway, enough waffle, I'll go back to polishing my chrome now..

Hardley

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 08:02:27 PM »
"Most places appear to be selling this as a girls bike, but to someone like me with often limited movement, it looks like a dream come true.."

Aye, and there's the rub. Most of the time when I see an article in a motorcycle magazine and they show a small motorcycle or a scooter, they will refer to it as a girl's bike or a beginner's bike and half the time show a girl riding it. Well screw'em. If their ego is that fragile that they want their bike to be taken as a personal reflection on them, then that's their problem. Maybe they have something they are trying to hide.

griffon_j9

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 08:49:50 PM »
Pssstttt Pssssttttt  "If I won the lottery"  ::) :P

I would import a kymco 700I ^_^

and buy the condo next to mine and blow out the walls for a bigger place (which would also give me a 4 car garage in the process too  ::) ;D )

later
2010 Red Xciting 500RI  51 MPG so far

WT100

• 100 countries or bust, 74 so far.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 01:13:59 AM »
I'd add a den to my house that would open directly into a scooter garage / show room.  So i could sit in the evening and admire them.   ;D

In my scooter den i would have (besides my "Green Dragon")  a red Super 8 50 2T.  Heavily moded of course.  And...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()