Author Topic: 2018 like 200i won't start, battery is fine. Lights don't work.  (Read 1255 times)

Leahmay94

• View Profile
New bike with 120miles on it. It just won't start. I filled up with gas and it didn't start, then it suddenly did but the gas gauge did not work. When trying to start it it makes a not very loud high pitched noise. Brought it in and the guy says it's bot the battery or the starter relay. He believes it's the safety switch on the right or left break levers... Not sure what to do or if he is in the right direction. Please help if anyone has these problems.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 like 200i won't start, battery is fine. Lights don't work.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 06:57:28 AM »
It sounds like the scooter has low mileage, but it's not under guarantee any longer ? If there is no guarantee in place at the moment, I think there is a possibility that a proper load test needs to be done on the battery.

I wouldn't be too worried about the brake lever switches. Those switches works independently and chances that both switches are faulty at the same time are almost zero. "Works independently" means there is no need to pull both brake levers at the same time to start the scooter - you just need to pull ONE brake lever, and the scooter should start.

The brake switches only complete a positive (+) power feed to a single wire  - and the far end of that single wire is the actual thin wire which get connected to the starter solenoid.
So you can easily check both switches individually, just by removing the thin wire at the starter solenoid - and doing a Voltage test at the terminal of the loose thin wire when you hit the starter button. You obviously need to pull each brake lever individually when you hit the starter button.

If any switch in your case is faulty, I think it would rather be the starter switch itself - as mentioned, chances that both brake switches are faulty at the same time are very slim. If you do the brake lever Voltage test (as describe above) and you get a proper voltage reading, it obviously means you don't have to worry about the starter button (switch) either - it will also be in perfect condition.

In short - I guess the problem is rather caused by the battery, loose or bad battery connection, or the starter solenoid itself.

Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 07:06:08 AM »
At a guess - there's two switches in the battery compartment - one of them feeds lights, starter switch (not the relay), petrol meter etc...

Try swapping that fuse out. Mine used to blow that one from time to time.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 12:09:35 PM »
Yep, agree - carefully inspect the 2 fuses beside the battery.
If both are good - does the brake light come on when you pull the brake lever with the key on? If brake light does not come on - try other brake lever. Report back.
Ground wire to frame could be loose....or battery wires loose at the battery post.
The fuses check, the brake light check, ground wire check on right side, batter terminal tight check - these you can look at. Beyond that make use of the 2 year warranty which you have.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 01:26:11 PM »
Another point about batteries - never assume a battery is "new", even when the scooter / motorcycle has low mileage on the odometer.
Who knows, this scooter could easily sat at a dealer for a long period, during one, or maybe even two long cold winters. Despite the low odometer reading on the clock, this scooter is a 2018 model. Which means this battery should not be regarded as  "new' any longer.

Therefore my point - rather get a proper load test done on the battery as a first step.

Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Leahmay94

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 03:16:41 PM »
thanks you all for your help. I bought it off someone because they didn't want it anymore and it states that the warranty isn't transferable. I'll call the shop today and ask. The mechanic I have working on it said the battery is fine, and before I gave it to him I checked the fuses you could easily see by the battery and they we're fine. Are there any other ones that you have to take the bike apart more to see that I should be checking? I told him to check the break lever situation and I'll see what he says. Thanks all!!

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 06:28:19 PM »
If the brake light isn't working, sounds like a fault on the switched live (perhaps black wired) circuit to me. Are you 100% the fuse is good?
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

DenGNNJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 07:08:34 PM »
I bought it off someone because they didn't want it anymore and it states that the warranty isn't transferable.

That doesn't pass the smell test to me.  Here's a link to Kymco's USA Warranty Policy... pay attention to Section 11. 

https://www.kymcousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/KYMCO-USA_WarrantyPolicyManual_v09_20-11-2011-2.pdf

It clearly states the warranty is assigned to the bike, not the owner and then goes on to explain what must be done in the event of a change in ownership.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 07:10:05 PM by DenGNNJ »
2017 Kymco People GT300i - Purchased New 4/2019
2009 VStar 1300 Tourer - Purchased New 2010, Sold 2019
2004 Honda Shadow Spirit - Purchased Used 2008, Sold 2010
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec - Purchased New 2006, Sold 2010

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 07:40:04 PM »
thanks you all for your help. I bought it off someone because they didn't want it anymore and it states that the warranty isn't transferable. I'll call the shop today and ask. The mechanic I have working on it said the battery is fine, and before I gave it to him I checked the fuses you could easily see by the battery and they we're fine. Are there any other ones that you have to take the bike apart more to see that I should be checking? I told him to check the break lever situation and I'll see what he says. Thanks all!!
The Kymco warranty in the USA is fully transferable for 2 years from the date it was first registered for the road to the new ('first') owner.  You just need to contact Kymco USA with your scooter info and let them know that you are now the new owner.
YOU can check the brake lever situation - turn on the key, pull the lever, do your brake lights work?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()