Author Topic: Doesn't any body ride these things?  (Read 725 times)

john grinsel

• View Profile
Doesn't any body ride these things?
« on: April 13, 2019, 12:04:33 PM »
I bought my 2019 XTown 300i to ride.....3200 miles  so far, but only one long trip----enjoy it, my 10th maxiscooter since 1990.

So far no troubles, finally got right windshield that I can work with----Puig Touring, a little high, but before cutting, need to make sure cutting will be improvement, sponge over handgrips, Go Cruise, and now Bestem $40 box with hole in top for dog's head, it bolted up without any new holes----my Givi E-46 box proved to be too heavy to be mounted so far up and behind rear axle center....and the hardware furnished by the seller of mounting kit just didn't work----so I bolted it direct to rear wing.

Tires---Kenda rear already wearing square---may replace both fr and rear with new set of Michelin Power Pure SC---at least rear wears round, and has life around 10-11,000 miles with me on the throttle. I use "Ride On" as balance medium, not cheap @$15 a wheel.-- I do own tire work....most scooter shops cannot or do not balance scooter wheels.

Bad feature of bike---it does vibrate at about 65 mph---solution go slower or over that speed, there really is no fix.

I have shop manual, carry it with--and carry spare drive belt.   With no real oil filter and 1 qt crankcase capacity, for me frequent oil changes work-----WalMart 10-40.

Gas--think 87 reg works----converting method from Kymco uses---but gas quality varies so much in US, I buy tank of super shell every 1000 miles of so.

Have towing insurance, carry tire repair materials and hand pump, cell phone----major failure underway, rent small van from Enterprise and return to selling dealer....but  expect no troubles in first year of ownership.....

After over 400,000 miles with rubber band drive scooters and many more with shift 2 stroke Vespas......but I am motorcyclist first, one has to remember to ride scooter as scooter, they are not sub for sports bike or adventure bike(what ever that is) as every ride for me is adventure.

But any scooter boom is long dead in N America----hardly every see any on the road, except 50cc in Canada.   Go ride...it is fun. I want to see you on the road.

DNW

• View Profile
Re: Doesn't any body ride these things?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 12:42:56 PM »
I wonder why? I think when it warms up here in Iowa....I'll see more of them including me.
Who cares! lol ë¿ë

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 01:53:52 PM »
Well, I have been out occasionally between rain squalls. Not like Stig who is nearly ALWAYS out on a daily basis but out anyway...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 02:32:29 PM »
the nice thing about living in a college town is the popularity of scooters with the students. In warm weather when the University is in session there are scooters everywhere! Now, outside of the main campus area?...not many scooters to be seen.  I also think the norm is for college kids to ride a scooter while they are students and to then sell them when they graduate.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 03:49:37 PM »

Sidewalk Commissioner, and his Lieutenants, are late this morning!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 05:52:14 PM »
Expecting a gas crunch in the next 5 years, either price spikes or shortages, or both.  Maybe that will jump start interest in scooters.
To me, they are the sweet spot of technology and low environmental impact when it comes to transportation.

Consider how much they could reduce congestion, space allocated for parking, CO2 emissions, gas consumption, $$ spent on cars, $$ spent on roads, and deaths/terrible injuries from car crashes.  And they are an absolute hoot to ride!

I am convinced scooters  (along w e-bikes/trikes and golf carts) are the best solution we have to our transportation woes.
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 04:28:24 PM »
Expecting a gas crunch in the next 5 years, either price spikes or shortages, or both.  Maybe that will jump start interest in scooters.
To me, they are the sweet spot of technology and low environmental impact when it comes to transportation.

Consider how much they could reduce congestion, space allocated for parking, CO2 emissions, gas consumption, $$ spent on cars, $$ spent on roads, and deaths/terrible injuries from car crashes.  And they are an absolute hoot to ride!

I am convinced scooters  (along w e-bikes/trikes and golf carts) are the best solution we have to our transportation woes.

Amen.  Couldn't agree more.  Gas prices are already inching up here so I expect scooter interest to follow.
2009 Kymco Frost (aka Yager 200i)
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
2007 Aprilia SR50 (Morini motor)
2013 Aprilia SR50 (Piaggio motor)
1986 BMW R80

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 04:38:00 PM »
https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPriceMap?z=4&lng=-96.591588

Just for fun, I just found this feature on Gas Buddy.

Since I live in the NW it's already a bit brutal here. 
My weekly fuel bill for my commute on my gas guzzling Burgman 650 is up by ones of dollars!!
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 01:28:48 PM »
(Imagine really sad, sad music)....I have been caregiver going on 7 weeks so time is limited with being saddled with a lot of self-inflicted details of too many birds, too many dogs, grass jumpin'outta da ground (6 acres) and gimme a minute, I come up with more! I will ride at the drop of a hat, normally!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 04:46:19 PM »
I ride my scooter almost every day including in the winter but I rarely see other scooters.  I try to get the local scooter riders out on rides but very few are interested. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 12:14:48 AM »
I ride my scooter almost every day including in the winter but I rarely see other scooters.  I try to get the local scooter riders out on rides but very few are interested. 
Probably only me, but the few two wheel riders I see scare the bejeepers out of me. If I were to venture out on a "Group Scooter Ride" - I'd find out the destination, and tell them, "I'll meet you there!"

But, that assumes I could ever find a scooter rider around here.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 05:50:56 PM »
I do a few group rides around here.
The better ones have the rules of group riding explained at the beginning of the ride if it includes folks who may be on their first few group rides.
They can be a lot of fun; albeit I try to avoid being behind the two strokes (Which can be challenging since I tend to ride chaser in a lot of them)

This sort of thing, particularly if the group gets large.
https://redwoodridersmc.com/group-riding-rules/

Probably only me, but the few two wheel riders I see scare the bejeepers out of me. If I were to venture out on a "Group Scooter Ride" - I'd find out the destination, and tell them, "I'll meet you there!"

But, that assumes I could ever find a scooter rider around here.

Stig
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 10:32:37 PM »
I go on group rides all the time but most of the other riders tend to be on motorcycles.  Here's one I led over the winter with a mix of bikes.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()