Author Topic: Lights  (Read 2623 times)

hoffray

• View Profile
Lights
« on: September 07, 2010, 11:02:42 PM »
I have a People s 250. Its a 2009. How do you change the headlight and tail lights on this thing.
You would think there would be an easy way.
Thanks
Ray

scosgt

• View Profile
Re: Lights
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 11:27:06 PM »
If it is built the same as my S 200, GOOD LUCK!!!

The tail lights require removal of the body. They are accessed from the rear and pull out of the mounts. They are standard 1156 and 1157 bulbs.

The fronts require you to take most of the bike apart. They are 35 watt HS1 bulbs, NOT available in auto parts stores so purchase a couple on line or from a motorcycle shop.

bef2111

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 06:42:53 AM »
Hello! I JUST changed the front headlight on my People (not "s") 250. It was pretty easy to do. Take a look at another site that I just wrote about this, and take a look at the thread. I'll put the link and some of the thread below:

Here's the site link:
http://www.scootforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1027&p=3259#p3259

and here's the chain for you. (If you go to Scoot Forum you will see there are some salutations I left off on the chain below. Oh, and I'm "Brian.") Good luck!

-----START OF CHAIN-----
1)
Hello, I'm using this for the first time--I hope I can find an answer, and maybe even answer some future questions. The Low Beam went out on my scooter (2005 Kymco People 250) and I just noticed it yesterday, or should I say evening. I was in Manhattan and had to get back down to Brooklyn. I was concerned that I would need to just park it and only drive it in the day. I switched on the Hi Beam, and was surprised to find that they worked! So, I drove home using the Hi Beam (Which was fine with me, but probably ticked off every driver ahead of me).

I'm looking to find which model light bulb I need to replace the headlight myself. Yes, I could open it up and then take out the light and bring it to a store, but I am hoping to only need to open the housing up one time. Does anyone know if the lightbulb is a) a separate light bulb for the Low Beam and High Beam (meaning, do I need 2 light bulbs), b) is it something I can do on my own (I'm fairly handy on this stuff), c) is it the same model that is used on the other Kymco Models, and finally d) could a xenon light work in place of the standard light bulb?

2)
I have the PS250 and on it, the low and high beam filaments are in the same bulb... I'm assuming that is also the case for the non "S" model. They might use the same bulbs as yours but I'm not certain. I doubt you'll have to take it apart to tell though... you should be able to look through the headlight glass at the bulb and a model number will be printed around the base of the bulb.

3)
Ahh...thanks so much for the reply. After some looking online for the right model, wattage, and base size, I went to Pep Boys to see what they had. I was looking for a 12V(olt) 35Watt/35. The number that actually seemed unimportant to me, but seems to be the "H4" and "9003" which, from my researching (for FAR too long) seems to be the fit that I was looking for. I'll try it out tomorrow when I look at opening up the housing and update this post.

4)
One thing that sort of concerns me with the bulb I purchased, is that it reads "12V 67/60W" for the voltage and wattage. I'm thinking that, although the factory settings are for "12V 35/35W" that I will be ok. It may be burning a little warmer, but at least I'll have a brighter headlight, right? And I'm thinking that, although I'd love to get as much shine as I can, a Xenon headlight just is out of the question. I read that they burn very hot (hence the brightness) and that the power drain on the little engine of Sally the Scooter (yeah, I named my scooter "Sally") will be pushed too much. Does anyone know about any truth to these rumors? Am I going to spontaneously combust when I'm riding down the West Side Highway in Manhattan, which will mean this will be my final post....?

5)
It sounds like you need the HS1, which is what my scoot uses. It is a 12V 35w/35w bulb. I believe the base sizes between the HS1 and H4 are pretty much the same and are interchangeable. Aside from the extra heat, which may or may not be a problem, there will be an extra load on your alternator and battery. It isn't a drastically larger load, but I dont know how closely they spec them. The only other concern would be if the wire gauge that they used out of the factroy will support the extra current. You'll be running almost twice the current at high beam and if the wire gauge is to small, if could get very hot and catch on fire. Usually they will 'over-engineer' by using a larger wire than needed, but by how much I dont know.

Bosch has listed here some specs of the different bulb types: http://www.boschindia.com/content/langu ... l/7812.htm

6)
Woah, MJ, you're good about sharing information. Thanks so much! And that link for Bosch is a great tool to have as well.

I ended up putting the new light in early this morning, and got to use it and see how it showed the road a little bit tonight. I live in Brooklyn, and I was actually at the Mets game tonight (They won) and coming home it looked like they may have been showing too high, so when I got home I adjusted it down a little bit.

Of the things I found useful today in making this self-service, 1) I used the diagnostic books that are available online (if you are intereed in seeing those, and I can forward them to you. They are a pdf file, so they're safe. 2) I realized that I needed to take off the windshield that I have on my scooter as well; may I advise to take the windshield off by removing the 4 screws, rather than thinking of taking off the windshield through using an Allen Wrench (as I ALMOST did!).

I adjusted the height a little bit, ad so far, so good.

Here is the model I used:
PHILIPS MotoVision Light Bulb (#33471) 9003 (H4) 9003MV. 12V 67/60W

It has an orange tint (that I can't see from my driving perspective but the cars in front of me are supposed to see) and it was in stock at Pep Boys. it was $19.99.

Hope this may help people in the future!
Ahh...thanks so much for the reply. After some looking online for the right model, wattage, and base size, I went to Pep Boys to see what they had. I was looking for a 12V(olt) 35Watt/35. The number that actually seemed unimportant to me, but seems to be the "H4" and "9003" which, from my researching (for FAR too long) seems to be the fit that I was looking for. I'll try it out tomorrow when I look at opening up the housing and update this post.

7)
ok with scoots even a little extra load can cause an issue
what you need to find out is if your headlight runs off the battery or the magnito

if it runs off the battery that is where you run into issues with run down bateries

if it runs of the mag then your headlight will be a bit dimmer at idel and lower rpms

-----END OF MESSAGES-----

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 05:56:28 PM »
You should not replace an HS1 with an H4. Best case scenario you will discharge your battery. IF you change out the tail light for an LED (and they make some GREAT ones now) you will save around 20 watts, which should keep you in the ballpark if the H4 does not run too hot and melt your lens.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 02:26:55 PM »
I have been using that bulb for nearly two years without issue in my P250.

I had to bend one tab on the bulb to make it fit in the base on the bike.  The filaments were in the same locations to the OEM lights is correct but brighter than the original bulb with the orange tint. If the filaments are in different locations or orientations, they will glare and dazzle oncoming drivers.  This is dangerous.  This is the reason "generic" HID and projector beams are much worse than anything in a bike.  They may look bright buthey are worse for you vision and that of on-coming drivers. 

This is a good, safe, conversion.  The battery does get a larger work out.

spooker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 03:55:16 AM »
So, I drove home using the Hi Beam (Which was fine with me, but probably ticked off every driver ahead of me).

I drive with brights on the whole day.  I almost got hit by a lady this summer who said she didn't see me, despite the fact that I was coming straight at her from the front with my lights on.  What do cagers need in order to see people, a strobe light and burning flair on the front?  Sheesh.  The cops didn't really care that she almost ran me down, and since they apparently can't provide any protection, I feel justified in violating the high beams rule in order to save my hide.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 04:52:36 AM »
Nothing.  There is nothing we can do to MAKE them see us. They drive into the sides of buses, Fires trucks driving to fires with their lights and sirens running, buildings, their own garages, all kinds of things.

As I see it, it is my job to be where they are NOT.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 02:36:16 PM »
As I see it, it is my job to be where they are NOT.

This is a good point, TechGuy. After see what they do in the day time this last week or so, I'm not sure I want to drive at night for a while. They just seem to let their minds wander and don't focus on what they are doing or what's going on around them.

scosgt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 08:15:35 PM »
I drive with brights on the whole day.  I almost got hit by a lady this summer who said she didn't see me, despite the fact that I was coming straight at her from the front with my lights on.  What do cagers need in order to see people, a strobe light and burning flair on the front?  Sheesh.  The cops didn't really care that she almost ran me down, and since they apparently can't provide any protection, I feel justified in violating the high beams rule in order to save my hide.

Here in NY, the DMV says right on the web site to ride with the  brights on in the daytime. I have a headlight modulator in my SYM, the S200 does not support that since the circuit is AC.
I know you can do a modulator in a P250  because one of the guys I ride with has one. It won't make them see you, but at least gives you a better chance.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()