Author Topic: removing plastics from Yager  (Read 3603 times)

Louder North

• View Profile
removing plastics from Yager
« on: April 29, 2019, 03:52:28 AM »
Actually it is a Kymco Frost - I'm trying to remove the plastic body from both sides and rear and am stuck. I both sides free but is there a secret screw under the brake lens or something? 

2009 Kymco Frost (aka Yager 200i)
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
2007 Aprilia SR50 (Morini motor)
2013 Aprilia SR50 (Piaggio motor)
1986 BMW R80

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: removing plastics from Yager
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 11:17:58 AM »
I had a Yager and had the rear body off but cannot recall the details. Seems like I found some screws from the bottom, under the tail light but not sure....this is where a detailed visual instruction would help! Like a REAL service manual!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 02:09:50 AM »
Actually it is a Kymco Frost - I'm trying to remove the plastic body from both sides and rear and am stuck. I both sides free but is there a secret screw under the brake lens or something?
  I will take a look tomorrow,   they are fun to play with,  doing the same with my piaggio,  have to check the headlights , could be burnt light,. 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 11:34:31 AM »
Panel removal from any scooter is an art!
Spend much time tugging gently....then discover it simply slides 1/4" to one side and falls into your lap!
Who knew!!?@#%
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 04:41:44 PM »
Just to finish, the topic, all it took to remove the back plastics was a firm tug, and it all came off!  Just had to undo the electrical connection to the tail-lights and it came free.

The one part I will not screw back in were the two connectors that screwed into the bottom of the floor board!  Almost impossible to remove and completely unnecessary in my book. I will put the side panels back on without fastening those tabs.

10,000 km
bought used in 2018
1986 BMW R80

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 01:46:38 AM »
thanks Jim for the info on rear removal,.   removed front , and rear ,  installed new ECU  and will change reg. -rec.  if needed.,  tomorrow will try to start it,. I found the reg. -rec.,  plug is very bad,  wires in back of plug was shorting out,  got wet often,.  the first owners kept it outside,.   never rode it , and dropped it when they tried to ride it,  total nerds !!!  smart people with no  no-how

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 01:28:39 PM »
thanks Jim for the info on rear removal,.   removed front , and rear ,  installed new ECU  and will change reg. -rec.  if needed.,  tomorrow will try to start it,. I found the reg. -rec.,  plug is very bad,  wires in back of plug was shorting out,  got wet often,.  the first owners kept it outside,.   never rode it , and dropped it when they tried to ride it,  total nerds !!!  smart people with no  no-how
Book smart....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 04:26:47 PM »

The reason I had to remove the plastics was to get to the regulator/rectifier and replace it ...  it did not fix my problem (tachometer taking a nose-dive into the red-line area just for the fun of it but causing partial engine shutdown).  But all the connections for the reg/rec were partially enclosed in a big rubber boot - it all seemed quite protected and connections in good shape.  So, I have an extra regulator/rectifier if you want to try it out on your Frost. 

My next objective will be to focus on the stator or stator connections as the cause of my problem - I'm wondering if the magnetic pickup for the tachometer is giving false over-revving information to the ECU and then the ECU is shutting or slowing down the engine.

10,000 km
bought used in 2018
1986 BMW R80

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 01:22:59 AM »
  oVER THE WINTER , I saved a few bucks and bought a spare ECU, and reg. and coil ,  took rear panels off changed reg, checked with diagnostic tool . it looks good ,but it will not start,  what I do on rainy days,.  placed rear cover on scooter and now it wont come off,  cant see what is holding it from coming off,  try again tomorrow when I am not tired,. 

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 05:36:41 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D  Got lucky, the young  lad removed the plastic ,   I hooked my booster battery to the scooter, and it started on the second turn, after I checked the wiring , I found a dead short on the harness plug to the reg. rec. separated the wires and stuffed rubber glue in between the wires, I had the cover off of the tranny, and noticed the new bet did not go to the top of the pulley , so I ground off 1 MM. from the variator boss,  tried it at 6,000 RPM. a little better ,  so I ground off 1 more MM. off the boss.  now it is time to try it on the road, when the rain stops,. 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 10:19:50 AM »
Always enjoy your reports dedee!
Good luck with your latest project up there!
Ride safe young man....
Stig
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 11:39:10 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 04:40:32 PM »
;D ;D ;D  Got lucky, the young  lad removed the plastic ,   I hooked my booster battery to the scooter, and it started on the second turn, after I checked the wiring , I found a dead short on the harness plug to the reg. rec. separated the wires and stuffed rubber glue in between the wires, I had the cover off of the tranny, and noticed the new bet did not go to the top of the pulley , so I ground off 1 MM. from the variator boss,  tried it at 6,000 RPM. a little better ,  so I ground off 1 more MM. off the boss.  now it is time to try it on the road, when the rain stops,.

So now the young lad is helping!  Good on you.  I'll have to come over some time and pay a visit.
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
1986 BMW R80

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 08:36:29 PM »
So now the young lad is helping!  Good on you.  I'll have to come over some time and pay a visit.
  please do come over any time,.  I was thinking to go by your place this week end,. cant call no phone number, 

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 09:39:54 PM »
 I took it for a ride before supper,  1/2 hour run ,  6,000 RPM. 80 Kmph.   7,000 RPM. 90 Kmph.   it sure seems gutless after riding the Piaggio b v 350,.   it seems to go faster when I tuck my knees together, and lower my head out of the wind, guess I am a drogue ,  wups supper time., 

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2019, 08:40:33 AM »
 :o  after our ride the other day ,  I got pass bank st.,  and the scoot died I had to call CAA TO get me home with the scoot ,. today  it seems it was the regulater again,  that regulater lasted only 200 Km.  running again today now all there is to do is putting it together again,  checking my downtown 300i and it runs a little rough, with old gas in it ,  debating to drain the gas or run it through ,  it will take 100 km. to run it out,.  and I don't want to have it die on the road ,  far from home,.  NOW I AM THINKING TO GET A CELL ,.PHONE  AGAIN!! :P :P :P :P

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()