Author Topic: Newbie.  (Read 873 times)

randy60

• View Profile
Newbie.
« on: April 29, 2019, 01:52:39 PM »
Hi. I am new to this forum. I just bought a new 2018  450i side by side a little over a week ago.  I find the shifter very hard to move on times. Is this a common problem with this bike and is there a way to free it up a bit? Thanks!

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 02:16:03 PM »
Hi there! I bought a 2018 450i in March. I really love the machine so far, but yes, the shifter can be difficult to move at times. I find this really only is prevalent when you are on an incline. It seems that when the machine is in gear, and gravity is putting pressure on the drive shaft, the transmission doesn't want to shift. However, if you rock the machine back and forth a little bit it will usually shift just fine. I literally just wiggle back and forth in my seat to do this. If you are in a tight spot, use the throttle in whatever gear it is in to accomplish the same. For example, I had it on my trailer the other day and it didn't want to come out of reverse into high. So, what I did was give it a little throttle to move the wheels ever so slightly against the back of my trailer, put my other foot on the brake to hold it there, release the throttle and then it shifted just find. Again, anything you can do to just take the pressure off the drive shaft will allow the machine to shift.

Another helpful tip: when you park on an incline, just leave the machine in gear and engage the manual parking brake. Many users say the ONLY time they ever put the machine in Park is when they trailer the vehicle. I personally also use park when I park the machine in my garage (on a level surface). But when I am out riding, I never put it in park. I just use the manual brake.

One thing other have mentioned is they find their machines shift more easily with synthetic oil. I just did my first oil change yesterday and put full synthetic in. So, I'll update this again if I notice any improvement in ease of shifting.

Good luck with the new machine, and let us know how you're liking it. I've got 112 miles on mine now and been having a lot of fun. I also came up with a couple little tricks to quiet the back end that I'll share in another post. I don't know if you've noticed it yet, but that rear tailgate storage compartment rattles like a son of a gun, as do the little cable connectors that hold the tailgate cables. Both are easily remedied.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 02:22:19 PM »
Common complaint. My UXV 500i was/is the same way. It gets better with use. Initially, use finesse in rocking the machine forward and rearward to change gears when the engine is not running AND "blipping" the throttle when the engine is running. Finesse is the operative word here! It will get better.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 07:00:36 PM »
I never use park, it always sticks and is a bear to get out. I park in neutral with the parking brake, shifter always slides right into gear from neutral
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 12:57:14 AM »
    I have to agree with all the others, you will get used to the little tricks in a short time, the more riding you do the easier it will get.....so now you have an excuse to do more riding!  According to the factory people, we had a long discussion on this, they use a spring loaded shift fork that holds it in gear when running and that is why they are sticky coming out of gear. Very few of us actually use park, because it will start in gear with your foot on the brake I like many just leave it in whatever gear we are going to use. When I park mine I slip it into reverse to back it out of my barn before shutting it off.  Once it gets up to temp it does get a little easier to shift, unless your on an incline. Welcome to the family and keep us posted.....

randy60

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 11:44:48 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. Looking forward to many more chats as I get used to this bike. This is my first side by side, always rode a quad before. Some things I have to get used to.

jwad1982

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 11:58:09 PM »
Same here. I back it into the shed and leave it in drive for the next ride, making sure to use the parking break.  When driving I come to a slow crawl then change gears, it's something you have to master because you can really mess up the transmission if you're going too fast.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()