Author Topic: Skid Plate discussion  (Read 3930 times)

Mountainman

• View Profile
Re: Skid Plate discussion
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 02:46:55 AM »
I do understand where you are coming from that why I stated that I don't know if it would be feasible in regions where the red clay and other types of thick mud are. I  have had to add a few extra holes in some strategic areas like the back and front plates and a couple near the, what I call the cross member near the middle. Next thing I did was use a set of portable car ramps and pulled the front on the ramps first and use a garden hose with a good spray nozzle, do not use a pressure washer, bad for the electrical system. While I'm on this point of the electrical system you should always buy a good can of moisture repellant and saturate the electrical system with it. Wet the inside of the skid plate down to help loosen the mud and then work your way back spraying the mud until you get it flowing through the drain holes. Really the only way to clean it well is to get down and dirty with the mud. you will be soaking wet and muddy if you do it right, it's the only way without removing the skid plates. lol

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2019, 08:46:42 PM »
Yep...I also remove the seat and tilt the box to help reach more areas with the hose. Some of the mud I ran into was like glue and did not want to flush out, thus had to remove the skid plates.

Dayooper

• View Profile

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 07:11:14 AM »
my new skid plates didn't last long, center plate peeled off

it's still all in one piece, a bit curled, but I think I will use it for a pattern, laminate it to a sheet metal plate
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 04:59:17 PM »
Mine have held up OK but still not ideal.  Just a thought here, when I replaced mine I drilled and tapped the original mounting holes for bigger round head bolts. I also added extra holes as it seemed the spacing was to far apart. I also added extra bolts along the crossmembers. With all the extra bolts, there are no open exposed areas with no support. With holes 6" apart or closer in some areas there are no sections to bend down. Whether this is the answer or not...I dont know, but I have had far less issues with the additional support!  I use my battery drill driver to install and remove the bolts so it is pretty quick to remove all those extra bolts.

superrman77

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2019, 11:50:17 PM »
You gotta have some holes in the skid plates for drainage. I'm contemplating getting some aluminum and doing some experimenting.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2019, 05:07:38 PM »
Only  problem with alum is...once it bends it stays that way.  If it is tempered for strength then you cant bend it back or ut will crack. Steel is way to heavy, and good thick alum will also be heavy.  No real good solution..

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2019, 07:20:42 PM »
thicker plastic, with corrugations
RandyO
IBA#9560

superrman77

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2019, 08:48:11 PM »
I've heard of positive results where people have used diamond plate for skid plates.  Most have recommended flipping it over so that the smooth finish is on the bottom. This is suppose to aid in sliding over objects better. For the cost I think it may be a good route to go.

superrman77

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2019, 01:30:26 PM »
I just snagged a set of the Kymco factory replacement aluminum skids.  I'll post some pics when I get them.

superrman77

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2019, 01:22:49 AM »
Mine have held up OK but still not ideal.  Just a thought here, when I replaced mine I drilled and tapped the original mounting holes for bigger round head bolts. I also added extra holes as it seemed the spacing was to far apart. I also added extra bolts along the crossmembers. With all the extra bolts, there are no open exposed areas with no support. With holes 6" apart or closer in some areas there are no sections to bend down. Whether this is the answer or not...I dont know, but I have had far less issues with the additional support!  I use my battery drill driver to install and remove the bolts so it is pretty quick to remove all those extra bolts.

What size bolts did you go with?  So I bought a set of the Kymco aluminum factory skid plates.  While removing all of the plastic skids I have noticed a few mounting holes that are stripped. 

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2019, 05:53:46 PM »
Those original bolts are self tapping, I went with a 1/4-20 thread round head bolt, I did buy oversize headed bolts (hex drive) to get a better grip on the skid plate.  I also added extra bolts across the cross members and more around the perimeter.  More bolts keep the loose areas from grabbing and pulling/snapping bolts.

superrman77

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2019, 12:37:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I went with 1/4 inch.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()