Author Topic: Traffic signal inductance loops (or, red lights that won't turn green for you)  (Read 6604 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
..i ain't been here in a few days...i know!!..itsa blazin'!!

:o
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: Traffic signal inductance loops (or, red lights that won't turn green for yo
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 08:25:15 AM »
I have already ripped all my speakers apart, but the magnets are already counted for, holding bits of paper to the shed wall.:)
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: Traffic signal inductance loops (or, red lights that won't turn green for yo
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 08:27:31 AM »
I have seen gadgets on ebay for changing the lights, I always laughed and moved right along.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

art

• View Profile
  I had one on a used bike i picked up and it does work on most of the sensors,Another trick is to drive your kickstand down into them (kinda lean on it) I still got a couple lights i have to work my way around.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

scootergrisen

• View Profile
    • scootergrisen
I havent dont much testing on my own because i dont have this problem my self. Although i have tryed it late at night where there are no other trafic.

Anyway my reseach tells me thats its called a "inductive loop sensor" and it is a wire or loops of wires that detect metal.
From what i have read magnets will do nothing to trigger a green light. Its the metal that counts.

Here you can se a wire being layed into the road.

The chance for triggering the green light is best if you align the wheels just above wire in the road... i have read/heard... somewhere.
Notice the 2 white lines... there are they so to tell the cyclist where to stop to trigger the lights. And then notice the lines in the road under the white lines where the wires are layed.

This video explains that magnets works... but i dont belive this video.

Heres a guy that have no luck with using a magnet.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 03:19:28 AM by scootergrisen »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
..damn, gris...you have all the techy answers..

..vids to back them up!!!...

..awesome!!!!

art

• View Profile
Ya I don't have any written research but was told by a tec, the magnet disrupts the loop signal there for triggering it. The magnet does have to be strong to do so. As for me I thought it was b.s. but it does seem to work on about 80% and it was a freebee  ;D

scootergrisen

• View Profile
    • scootergrisen
Ya I don't have any written research but was told by a tec, the magnet disrupts the loop signal there for triggering it. The magnet does have to be strong to do so. As for me I thought it was b.s. but it does seem to work on about 80% and it was a freebee  ;D
So magnets do work ?

I just know that neodynimum magnet like the ones in harddisk drives are very powerful.

So if people want to try the magnet and have a old harddisk there are 2 of these inside.

art

• View Profile
  Ha! I think so. I don't ride at night much. If i get a chance i'll try to do a real test. It could have been coinsidense. But I'm pretty sure it was a factor.

codger78

• View Profile
I have tried some lesser magnets with questionable results.  Now I am going to decorate the bottom of my scooter with a half dozen hard disc magnets to really test this theory out once and for all.
American Science and Surplus is selling them for $4.50 each (40013P1 hard disc magnet with a 30 pound pull)...They also have several other types that you-all want to look over.
I am either going to change lights or I'm going to pick up ahellofalotta trash.
borrowed dust

codger78

• View Profile
PS.....listen carefully to the video......He said to place the magnets perpendicular to the road....which I interpret as having the north/south ends of the magnet pointing towards the sides of the road.  That may not make a difference, but hey......It's easy enough to do using a compass or just a piece of iron.
borrowed dust

art

• View Profile
  Ha! that many magnets  ;)  It might affect yor top speed  ;D.

codger78

• View Profile
Or yank manhole covers..(just don't accidentally drop your credit card at the fast food window)
borrowed dust

codger78

• View Profile
I am finally able to report that two hard drive magnets located upright and in a correctly aligned position and jammed into the forward floor recesses of the agility 50 will trip an intersection induction loop to turn the traffic light green.  It takes a bit of experience to learn how approach the intersection loop area.
Correct magnet alignment can be made with the use of a boy scout's field compass placed beneath the scooter to sense best possible co-positioning (rotation) of the magnets, as they do tend to support each others magnetic field.
I had spray painted, cushioned, and gorilla taped the magnets in place.
I used my car at that intersection to check how long it would take (once triggered) the light to turn green (which in this case was a minute and a half).
The hard drive magnets can be bought at www.sciplus.com for $4.50 each.
WARNING......Do not allow the magnets to come together or you will never get them apart, or let get them near anything sensitive to magnetism ( like a credit card, a wrist watch, or electronic car keys)......You really have to think about what you are doing from the time you first unwrap them until you get them into position on the scooter.
borrowed dust

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
...do you find that you scoot slows down drastically when crossing railroad tracks??

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()