Author Topic: The higher octane gas...right?  (Read 5576 times)

Rianna

• View Profile
The higher octane gas...right?
« on: September 09, 2010, 02:51:19 PM »
I had asked the dealer about putting the higher octane premium gas in and he said no, you can put the regular unleaded in this thing. Didn't sound, right to me. Sure enough the manual calls for higher octane when I looked. So now, I'm thinking it is probably regular that is already in the tank. If you tell me to use the 92 or 93 (whichever it is here) will I need to drain the tank completely, or like maybe bring me a little home and wait until it is almost empty then add some of the other? I don't like the idea of mixing different types of fluids at all. I just don't want to make a mess of things.

CONLEY

• View Profile
Re: The higher octane gas...right?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 03:28:53 PM »
JUST RUN THAT TANK EMPTY U SHOULD BE FINE AS LONG AS IT DOSENT PING.AND NEXT WEEK SHELL IS HAVING CUSTOMER APPRCATION WEEK (WELL HERE THERE R) GET THE SCRATCH OFFS AND FREE GAS FOR THE SCOOT

glopezz05

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 04:15:33 PM »
I was told to add a cap full of two stroke oil every 2nd or 3rd tank full as well. 

Don't know if it helps but it doesn't seem to hurt.
Im usually on a bicycle, so for me, this thing is hauling ass!

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 04:48:02 PM »
If I remember right from a previous discussion, the Taiwanese use a different method for determining octane level than what is used in the U.S. and so the values in their manuals are higher than what is needed.  I have run 87 octane unleaded (without ethanol) in my P150 for over 2 years and have had no problems. 

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 10:42:10 PM »
It won't matter, when you decide which fuel you want to use just fill up with that, by your next tank all the previous fuel will have been consumed. I use Shell v-power in all my bikes when possible, it is 98ron.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 01:56:12 AM »
I use regular gas and ounce a month or so ill put v power in to help clean out carb
good stuff. you well notice te diff.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 02:12:10 AM »
  I use reg. gas in my un-modded stuff,works fine. You should use sea foam or startron though to help keep things clean and running good. There is alot of moister in the fuels these days so its almost a must for our little motors anymore for best performance.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 03:40:33 AM »
..my guilty runs best on Shell V-power Premium....

...i've tried regular fuels, and for my scoot, there is a difference..

..i'm also a recent advocate of SEAFOAM!!...

..that's some good stuff...

;)

..seafoam and drilling holes in my stock exhaust, revived my A50 when i thought it had died...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 05:00:10 AM »
Thanks all. I didn't want to do the wrong thing. Added Seafoam to the shopping list. I think he told me different than the manual for the oil too. And he never did tell me about the brake fluid. He showed me where to see how full it is (and it didn't look very full, lol) but that was it. I think they were in a hurry to go home. They stayed open late for me so everything was rush rush.

glopezz05

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 05:03:33 AM »
Where are the pics of your drilled holes?  I'm curious.
Im usually on a bicycle, so for me, this thing is hauling ass!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 05:04:07 AM »
..i run a synthetic 10w-40 oil...there are a bunch of good ones..

..check out the manual for how to check your brake fluid...it's straight forward...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 05:11:51 AM »
..holes...

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 03:42:21 AM »
As for gas if you can get non ethanol it will do MUCH better in your scooter . Luckily in lynchburg you can buy non ethanol gas at the gas n go at the pittman plaza ( where the public library is ) If you fill up on fridays you can get premium for mid grade price . They usually have the best prices in town anyway . I still use seafoam also .

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 01:48:29 PM »
If I remember right from a previous discussion, the Taiwanese use a different method for determining octane level than what is used in the U.S. and so the values in their manuals are higher than what is needed.  I have run 87 octane unleaded (without ethanol) in my P150 for over 2 years and have had no problems.
So that's where the confusion comes from, Calothrix. I didn't know that!

As for gas if you can get non ethanol it will do MUCH better in your scooter . Luckily in lynchburg you can buy non ethanol gas at the gas n go at the pittman plaza ( where the public library is ) If you fill up on fridays you can get premium for mid grade price . They usually have the best prices in town anyway . I still use seafoam also .

Hey, that's good to know, juice. Thanks. They opened that station up right after I got rid of my vehicles a couple years ago so it's new to me. Might have to play around on google maps to find the best way to get over there from here with the least amount of hills. I had it up just past 30mph yesterday and I'm sure it will do better than that. Just gotta find a nice open road to check it out on. It'll probably do okay, just don't wanna push my luck out in a bunch of traffic yet 'til I know for a fact it will make those hills. I reckon you can't avoid hills in the Hill City even if you try. lol. Maybe I can scoot on over there in the evening one night. You know the first place that came to my mind when I read everyone saying good stuff about Shell, right? The one up over that hill in Madison Heights. I was thinking, "Yeah, if my little 50cc will make up that hill, without holding up traffic, I could go anywhere in Lynchburg with no problems."

Maybe after I get a few miles under my belt I'll be brave and head on up to Big Lots or something there on a Sunday evening and see how it acts.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 01:53:57 PM »
..i run a synthetic 10w-40 oil...there are a bunch of good ones..

..check out the manual for how to check your brake fluid...it's straight forward...

Yeah, wordslinger, he told me 10w40 for motorcycles, he just didn't mention synthetic. Might be he was thinking to not use synthetic until it's broken it more. I dunno. Whatcha think? Go with the synthetic from the first oil change? The oil's not dark at all so I've got some time...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()