Author Topic: Gas mileage question  (Read 1074 times)

nm_ryder

• View Profile
Gas mileage question
« on: May 24, 2019, 10:22:05 PM »
New rider with new X-Town 300i.  I bought the bike (partly) to reduce my gas consumption for commuting to work.  First full tank of gas I got less mileage than I expected.  Here are the particulars.

- I am still in break-in period so keeping the speed low. (45 - 55 mph)
- In the US,
- Altitude is between 5600 and 7000 ft.
- The winds have been pretty stiff (20 mph avg)
- First tank of gas was premium rated @ 91.  Did not realize until I learned here (http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=27677.0) that formula in US is different than what is recommended in the users manual.
- Measured gas mileage was 46.1 mpg.

I was expecting around 60 mpg based on the reviews that I have read.  Is the lower than expected mileage likely due to:
1) Unrealistic expectation on my part?
2) Engine break-in period?
3) Too high an octane rating? (I am trying mid-range next @ 87 Min Octane (R+M)/2)
4) High altietude?

I love the scooter and have to confess I'm hooked.  Will post pics later this weekend.
Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

nm_ryder

• View Profile
Re: Gas mileage question
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 10:51:04 PM »
After a little more thought I realized that there is another possible source of error in my measurement.  The first time I topped off the tank (before measuring the mileage) I had the bike on the side stand.  Today when I refilled I had it on the center stand.  It's possible that the measurment of how much gas was required to fill was high due to the pump cutting off quicker due to the tilt factor.  That would lead to a low mpg measurement.  Maybe I should just withhold judgement until I've run more tanks thru.
Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Biglee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 12:02:41 AM »
hi i have the 400i and i am no lightweight on the scooter my tank holds 12.5 litetrs of fuel on 12 liters i get  a consitant 200 miles between fill ups at an avrage of 60 mph

David E

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 12:06:26 AM »
Although I don’t have the 300, I do have the Like 200.   I was told I’d hit an average of 95 to a gallon of gas when I purchased it.  I’m located here in Texas if that means anything and I use the highest octane gas there is which is 93.   

Well during the break in period, I babied the scooter of course and watched my mileage.   It did average around 95 to a gallon as I was told from the dealership.  I really don’t pay attention to it anymore for I know that I’m getting great gas mileage and I only ride the bike 4 miles to work round trip.   The only time I see my mileage drop is when I ride it a little harder than normal.    Just my 0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 12:06:38 AM »
I have2019 XTown 300I---4700 miles.  Nice scooter, Kenda rear tire replaced as it wore square...made handling goofy, replaced with Michelin City Grip in proper size.  Works fine.

Gas mileage/gas is your least expense in running/owning scooter.  Mine gets between 60 and 70 mpg    this week spiked to 81 mpg---real slow running on long trip.

Because of unfiltered oil, and small crankcase capacity, I change oil every 1000 miles or so---WalMart 10-40.

Standard windshield sucks.   This is my 10th Maxi-scooter since 1990---over 400,000 miles with them.

I am happy with this bike, easier to work on than Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha TMAX----2 year warranty, my dealer 35 miles away.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 12:08:37 AM »
Yes, fill on centerstand, use 87 octane and ride at least 6000 miles before milage stabilizes.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 08:17:12 AM »
I have2019 XTown 300I---4700 miles.  Nice scooter, Kenda rear tire replaced as it wore square...made handling goofy, replaced with Michelin City Grip in proper size.  Works fine.

Because of unfiltered oil, and small crankcase capacity, I change oil every 1000 miles or so---WalMart 10-40.

I am happy with this bike, easier to work on than Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha TMAX----2 year warranty, my dealer 35 miles away.

Quite interesting. I recently became aware of the fact that a friend's Suzuki Lets 110  (112cc engine) has an oil filter.  While such small Suzuki engines come with oil filters, I actually  thought the bigger Kymco engines (like 300i's, etc.)  would come with oil filters as well.

I guess other smaller Japanese scooters like Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, etc. come with oil filters as well ?

Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

nm_ryder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 12:26:39 AM »
After several tanks of gas I can definitely say the issue was not fueling with the scoot consistently on the center stand.  My average is closer to 70mpg.
Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 02:19:54 PM »
Bing-bing-bing! Octane warning light! Aaaaooooggaahhh! Dive! Dive! You said between 5700 and 7000 feet elevation, right? Use the 85 octane fuel if in the USA. Your bad milage is because you are using too high an octane gas! Plus it is a new engine that typically takes about 5 to 7 thousand miles to "break in" and giving stabilized mpg numbers. Where are you located?
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

nm_ryder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 02:47:46 AM »
I am in the mountains east of Albuquerque.  My house is at 7000 feet and my office at 5600.
After changing the way I was fueling the mpg has been between 73 and 76.

But the octane could still be a bit high given the altitude.

PS - I did also drop down to 88 octane (mid-range)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 02:49:27 AM by nm_ryder »
Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 11:51:21 AM »
I am in the mountains east of Albuquerque.  My house is at 7000 feet and my office at 5600.
After changing the way I was fueling the mpg has been between 73 and 76.

But the octane could still be a bit high given the altitude.

PS - I did also drop down to 88 octane (mid-range)

Sorry, but at 7000 feet you're not getting enough oxygen for us to trust your calculations 😊
(you may be actually taking the bus to work....and doing a Walter Mitty thing while looking out the bus window)
Stig, before coffee....
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

nm_ryder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 12:37:39 PM »
 ::) Hey, even Walter ended up doing something cool 8) before the end. I guess I owe more pictures in the eye-candy section.

Yeah, most people who come to visit comment that there isn't any air up here. But I spent much of my youth living at a ski area in northern New Mexico. The altitude was 8400 ft, so I consider this to be the lowlands. If I go down to sea-level I feel like I am drowning in the liquefied air.

Next tank I'll try 85 octane.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 12:40:30 PM by nm_ryder »
Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 01:04:43 PM »
Bless you, my son, you will not be disappointed!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()