Author Topic: 2010 Kymco Agility  (Read 1074 times)

eamartin

• View Profile
Re: 2010 Kymco Agility
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 02:49:29 PM »
Yes the starter relay. I also assume the red wire with white stripe wont have power till the relay closes (clicks) to relay power to the starter so it will be dead until relay closes if im understanding it all correctly. Soooo took the starter out as ive mentioned previously hooked a wire up to my positive terminal on my battery then to the positive terminal on starter then hooked a ground up,to the flange on the starter then clipped the other end of ground to clean spot on frame and nothing starter still wouldnt work.now again battery showing 12.7 volts so looks like new starter it is. Thoughts? Hopefully this will get it to at least crank over

If you properly bench-tested the starter and it doesn't work, then, yes, the starter is your problem.     

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 02:53:44 PM »
But it's unusal for a scooter with only 50 miles on it to need a new starter, no matter how old it is.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 04:47:16 PM »
Yes the starter relay. I also assume the red wire with white stripe wont have power till the relay closes (clicks) to relay power to the starter so it will be dead until relay closes if im understanding it all correctly. Soooo took the starter out as ive mentioned previously hooked a wire up to my positive terminal on my battery then to the positive terminal on starter then hooked a ground up,to the flange on the starter then clipped the other end of ground to clean spot on frame and nothing starter still wouldnt work.now again battery showing 12.7 volts so looks like new starter it is. Thoughts? Hopefully this will get it to at least crank over

Rather clip the other end of the earth from the starter flange directly to the earth terminal on the battery, instead of clipping the earth to the frame. That should eliminate the possiblility of a bad earth conection.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

TD46

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 05:47:40 AM »
Rather clip the other end of the earth from the starter flange directly to the earth terminal on the battery, instead of clipping the earth to the frame. That should eliminate the possiblility of a bad earth conection.

Yea i did that and it was toast. Wouldnt turn and started smoking. Did a compression test and 52 psi so time for a rebuild. Should i remove the engine and tear it all the way down? Or leave it in and just do the top end? Never did a rebuild before so i wanna do it the right way. With so many kits out there what and where should i purchase one? Thanks for your help much appreciated. 

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 06:09:29 AM »
Yea i did that and it was toast. Wouldnt turn and started smoking. Did a compression test and 52 psi so time for a rebuild. Should i remove the engine and tear it all the way down? Or leave it in and just do the top end? Never did a rebuild before so i wanna do it the right way. With so many kits out there what and where should i purchase one? Thanks for your help much appreciated.

I don’t understand - How did you manage to do a compression test if the starter motor did not swing the engine ?

Anyway, to determine what needs to be rebuilt I think it will make sense to get a new starter motor first - and then to do a “dry” and “wet” compression test on the engine.
To do a “wet” compression test you just need to squirt a lil’ bit of oil into the engine via the spark plug hole.
If you get a higher compression reading during the “wet” test, it means the cylinder sleave or piston rings are worn, or the ring gap is too big.

If the compression reading remains the same during a “wet” compression test, it means the cylinder head needs a rebuilt.

P.S. IMPORTANT.  If you got that 52 Psi reading while the starter motor was cooking (turning the engine slowly) you should not rely on that initial compression reading. To do a proper compression test the starter motor needs to work properly, and needs to swing the engine properly.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 06:21:35 AM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

TD46

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 06:31:02 AM »

I don’t understand - How did you manage to do a compression test if the starter motor did not swing the engine ?

Anyway, to determine what needs to be rebuilt I think it will make sense to get a new starter motor first - and then to do a “dry” and “wet” compression test on the engine.
To do a “wet” compression test you just need to squirt a lil’ bit of oil into the engine via the spark plug hole.
If you get a higher compression reading during the “wet” test, it means the cylinder sleave or piston rings are worn, or the ring gap is too big.

If the compression reading remains the same during a “wet” compression test, it means the cylinder head needs a rebuilt.

P.S. IMPORTANT.  If you got that 52 Psi reading while the starter motor was cooking (turning the engine slowly) you should not rely on that initial compression reading. To do a proper compression test the starter motor needs to work properly, and needs to swing the engine properly.

Sorry i should of explained it a bit more. My neighbor has a couple scooters just laying around so i went and took a look and found the same starter on 1 of them so i bench tested it and it ran fine so then i installed that 1 to do the compression test. I did not do a wet test so i will do that first thing in the morning. Also once i installed the good starter and was trying to get it to start there were multiple times when i would try the kick start just to give the electric starter a break and kick start was locked up. Not the actual kick start but the engine few times i couldnt budge the kick starter. Electric starter also a few times would lock up i would then try kick start and same locked up so i would take spark plug out hit tue electric start couple times sometimes that would free it up other times id bump the electric start then really jump on the kick start to free it up.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2019, 06:29:00 AM »
Don't get carried away, changing the starter, relay, wiring, valve-job, etc.  The battery is DEAD!  They totally die when sitting in storage.  It's simple as ABC: replace the battery, clean the carburetor, and put in fresh gas.  It'll start first time.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 06:32:22 AM by JJJoseph »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()