Author Topic: Non oem parts for early People 150  (Read 428 times)

larks

• View Profile
Non oem parts for early People 150
« on: June 27, 2019, 04:43:38 AM »
 Come to find I can buy a Carb for $30 on Amazon that would cost $250 oem and is made to fit a 157QMI or 157QMJ GY6 engine which supposedly the P150 is.

Like to ask you all if anyone has any experience doing this how it went?

Also, can get a starter for $16 instead of $100 oem. Please reply if you know.

On another note, left question in the people 150 section about finding engine Id code stamping. Not sure if was right place to post it. Would love to verify

Many thanks for any consideration.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
Re: Non oem parts for early People 150
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 06:15:35 AM »
I've tried all the cheap parts and had to conclude they're uniformly BAD!  Read the Amazon user NEGATIVE feed-back comments, for example, and you'll get a feel for how bad the cheap carburetors are! Even the jets are bad (they're not sized).  I've tried cheap starters, too, and most work, but they're noisy and not totally dependable.  I use them because my Kymco has a kick-start.  Not recommended if you don't have a kick-start.  Cheap gaskets mostly work OK. Cheap belts are OK, but there's no real deals on belts.  Cheap exhaust pipes get all rusty within a few months. Cheap tires wear out fast.  I've even used cheap gy6 engines, which work OK for maybe 10,000km, but the crankshafts break at the flywheel end.  Cheap mirrors are awful - they're too small and they vibrate.  I'm now trying to stick with Kymco parts but, yes, they're expensive.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 06:20:42 AM by JJJoseph »

larks

• View Profile
Re: Non oem parts for early People 150
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 08:01:34 PM »
Hi and thank you JJ.

Bad news though. Somewhere I saw a jet kit for $7 so maybe that would help as far as getting a non oem carb to work but I don't know. Want to renovate this to use for work commute but somewhat busted.

Really kind of surprised at prices. Don't know what they were last year but wonder if these new tariffs are part of it if they've kicked in yet. Auto petcock is $50!

Another thing is supply. Do you know what's up with that? Kymco doesn't care about US market? Maybe i'm wrong as just starting to look but seems like parts are spread pretty thin or unavailable?

Just realized that P150 is not strictly a GY6 engine. Still, the GY6 market is much bigger and thus parts availability, regardless of price is far better. Crap shoot as to what will fit though.

Initiation! just adjusted valves and looked at belt.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()