Author Topic: Mongoose 250 - Brake Light Permanently on  (Read 669 times)

chro19

• View Profile
Mongoose 250 - Brake Light Permanently on
« on: July 07, 2019, 12:55:50 AM »
I have just got a 2011 Kymco 250 Maxxer (Mongoose) which I am re-building. When the key switch is turned on, the stop light illuminates - stays lit no matter if brake lever or foot pedal is activated. I have checked the entire brake light circuit and its components for continuity and voltage - the switches (lever and pedal), bulb (2 filaments), cables, rear light bulbholder are all OK. I did notice that both cables of the brake light switches (yellow/green and blue/brown) are hot? Is that normal? When the key switch is turned on there is power to both wires, no matter what the position of the switches is - shouldn't it just be to one? Any help would be much appreciated as I don't understand why the circuit is energised and turning on the stop light filament when the key switch is turned on. Thanks

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Mongoose 250 - Brake Light Permanently on
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 01:04:46 AM »
Wiring diagram, anyone?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 03:19:52 AM »
Have you tried disconnecting the brake lever switches to see if it turns off the brake light?
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 09:55:52 AM »
Have you tried disconnecting the brake lever switches to see if it turns off the brake light?
Duh! Of course, start with something simple! Thanks, mouse! I needed that!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

chro19

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 02:49:34 PM »
Mousejunks: Yes, I disconnected the brake lever pressure switch and unplugged the foot pedal switch ...no change. I even disconnected the brake light wires (green/yellow and brown/blue) from the on/off  key switch and the ight is still on! And it is the brake light too, as it is the lower and brighter element in the bulb that is lit. huh!!?

chro19

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 02:54:25 PM »
Here is the only wiring diagram I could find. But there is one thing that seems odd. The change Gear Control unit shows 7 wires attached to it. My harness only has 3 wires that connect to it. 2 on the small section on the right hand side of the unit (and the colors match up), and one which appears not be connected anywhere. Coincidenatlly the wire that is not connected is Green/Yellow, which is the same color as one of the brake light wires. Any ideas anyone, could this be the problem? I'm sorry but electrical is not my strong point! Thanks

chro19

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 04:14:55 PM »
Well now I am really stumped! I disconnected the 2 brake circuit wires (yellow/green and brown/blue) from the key switch (they were both connected through the switch to the brown wire in the key switch). When the key switch is turned on, bingo, the brake light works just fine as it should when actuating the front lever or the foot pedal. BUT, and it's a big BUT, the engine start will not engage. So I then connected  just the brown/blue wire from the brake circuit to the ignition switch, same thing everything works fine, except the ignition. So finally I connected just the yellow/green wire to the switch and the brake light came on (as the orginal problem) BUT the ignition would engage and the engine starts!! Can anybody help me with what's going on?
BTW the ignition switch has 3 wires. Red is the hot side when on, Brown and Green.  I'm baffled!

chro19

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 06:46:36 PM »
I think I may have isolated the problem but have no idea how to fix it! I think it is in the wiring (or lack thereof) in the gear change control unit, which appears to have been semi-bypassed by a former owner. I have attached a file showing what I've found so far, in case anyone has any ideas? Thanks

chro19

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 12:25:52 AM »
Update. The brake light circuit is working fine now and the two wires I was connecting to the key switch, should have been connected to the front brake switch which I just installed! oops! However now, when I turn on the key switch, pull on a brake lever and hit the start switch, the starter solenoid engages but the engine doesn't fire. I think it must be because of the Change Gear Control (CGC) unit, because the wiring diagram shows it has a wire going to the ignition unit. And that's the problem, as only 2 of the wires from the harness are connected to the CGC, the rest have been twisted togther - including the ignition unit wire. I have no idea which wire to connect to which pin on the CGC. Does anyone know how I can determine this, which wire goes where?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()