Author Topic: Parking a scooter  (Read 1595 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Parking a scooter
« on: July 08, 2019, 11:25:40 AM »

My Reflex riding coffee village buddy likes to park his scooter as though hoping for an insurance claim.
Did it again today.
When I commented on it - he laughed and said one time he put down his kickstand straddling the white stripe between 2 empty parking spaces.
Later a woman came in and cussed him out for taking two spaces😊

Stig
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 12:42:48 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

David E

• View Profile
Re: Parking a scooter
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 08:29:12 PM »
Doesn’t make any sense.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 08:41:39 PM »
He has the idea all wrong, Stig!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 10:52:35 PM »
He has the idea all wrong, Stig!
Well, Joe has been doing this for a long time.
He feels this is leaving plenty of space for others..

He's a good guy, and he's buying the next round of coffees tomorrow - so I'll not poke him with a stick about his parking habits.
 At least he's stopped parking next to my scooter! (he was parking his side-hack '51 BMW so close I had to walk thru it to mount up)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 08:26:38 AM »
On the subject of parking...  Anyone else carry a stout rubber band for those odd occasions when you have to park on a slight downward slope (decline?)?  Side stand down then apply brake and hold in place with band.

I see the odd manufacturer is now offering scooter parking brakes. A great and useful addition imo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 08:53:36 AM »
On the subject of parking...  Anyone else carry a stout rubber band for those odd occasions when you have to park on a slight downward slope (decline?)?  Side stand down then apply brake and hold in place with band.

I see the odd manufacturer is now offering scooter parking brakes. A great and useful addition imo.

I keep a wrap of velcro handy on my handlebar, that I can unroll a wrap around the grip and brake, for a parking brake
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 09:51:36 AM »
I keep a wrap of velcro handy on my handlebar, that I can unroll a wrap around the grip and brake, for a parking brake

Yep, that'd work Randy and a quick browse on line shows me there are more high-tech options:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=ACEBIKES+Handbrems-Locking&ref=nb_sb_noss

Might try one   ;)
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 11:57:06 AM »
Parking brake should be required by law on rubber band drive scooters!!  Since they cannot be put in "gear" to provide some rolling resistance.   My Helix/Reflex/SilverWing/Burgman 400/TMAX had these brakes and were handy.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 12:19:58 PM »
Parking brake should be required by law on rubber band drive scooters!!  Since they cannot be put in "gear" to provide some rolling resistance.   My Helix/Reflex/SilverWing/Burgman 400/TMAX had these brakes and were handy.
Fully agree John!  There are sometimes occasions where it's just not possible to park facing uphill.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 05:43:58 PM »
Yep, that'd work Randy and a quick browse on line shows me there are more high-tech options:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=ACEBIKES+Handbrems-Locking&ref=nb_sb_noss

Might try one   ;)

I've seen that before, the issue with them is ya gotta keep it somewhere. the velcro strap you can keep handy right on the handlebar
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 06:41:36 PM »
I've seen that before, the issue with them is ya gotta keep it somewhere. the velcro strap you can keep handy right on the handlebar

One-hand use - broccoli bands....from the Corleone family's Sicilian produce shop, NYC. (put 'em around the neck of something - they're really tight!)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 07:24:47 PM »

One-hand use - broccoli bands....from the Corleone family's Sicilian produce shop, NYC. (put 'em around the neck of something - they're really tight!)

Stig

[emoji23]

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 09:16:48 PM »

Stig

I was speaking of the Amazon thing,    I tried a lobster claw band once, couldn't stretch it enough
RandyO
IBA#9560

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 11:30:22 AM »

You’re right of course, but having splashed the cash on one on the grounds it’s a whole lot cheaper than my pride and joy toppling over, I find it fits neatly into the LH cubby hole on my X-Town 300!

Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()