Author Topic: Oil Service Light  (Read 1856 times)

TPococke

• Pueblo, Colorado United States
  • "Life is Good!"
    • View Profile
Oil Service Light
« on: September 12, 2010, 02:15:18 PM »
It was time for the 4,000 mile checkup, oil change and tune up, and by the way I got another flat tire so I put my Xciting on the trailer and took it the 45 miles to the dealer that sold it to me. They did all the service (while charging me way to much) and didn't turn off the oil service light. Can anyone tell me how to turn it off? Also can anybody tell me the best place on the web to get tires. $120 a pop sucks. Less than 4,000 miles and I'm on my 3rd rear tire.  >:(
Just remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Dr. Scooter

• View Profile
Re: Oil Service Light
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 02:40:26 PM »
Right by your oil service light there is a button turn your key on but do not start push that button in and hold it in and the light will go off
2007 Kymco Xciting 500

Modding a scooter is a beatiful thing!

Stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 05:01:41 PM »
Yeah, that button is pretty tricky. On my X500 2k6 I had to hold it for 3-5 seconds. But somehow on x500 2k8 I had to push it 3-5 times to turn that light off.

Now about the tires - I'm not sure about the sites, but I'm sure about the tires.
If your tire wears off quickly it's actually a good thing. You see, if you have a hard rubber on tire, it won't wear off quickly, BUT it means, that because it's hard, it will take much more time to get hot. Now when the tire is hot, it becomes sticky, so it "sticks" to the road. By the way, this is the reason you see all that F1 racers slip on the start, which burns the tires a little bit. They loose some time on it, as they stay still while slipping and they loose some tire on it, but it make their tires hot and gives them better handling right at the start.
BUT,  3 tires for 4k miles is too much. Why did you have to change? My be you had low air pressure and that's the reason the wear off?
Now when you go and buy a tire, I can recommend Pirelli Diablo. It has pretty soft rubber so they catch the road fast. If you want something harder, you can go with Bridgestone. They will last a little longer, and they're not too hard as well. Tried Michelin with B&W 250. They are pretty good too.
Anyways, don't try to save a few bucks on the tires. It's the only thing that really matters. Had a friend, which took some cheap tires. First little rain took him down on really low speed and straight road. He was lucky not to get too much injuries, but the bike was dead.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 05:54:28 PM »
I put on a set of michellin gold standard touring tires. About 8,500 miles with no problems. I put something called  RIDE ON tire sealant, (much better I think than slime), in the tires at install time. It balances the tires, they run much cooler, they last longer, and it is almost impossible to get a flat when using this stuf. I think I got the tires on-line @ motorcycle super store. They list tire installers accross the country who install for them at great rates. Take it from an old high milage touring bastard. Only buy good quality name brand tires. Not cheap, but they will last 2 times or more than the cheap chinese crap floating around out there. :-*

TPococke

• "Life is Good!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 06:14:14 PM »
Thanks for the info on the oil service light. The original tire that went flat was original equipment, the 2nd was a Michellin that went flat. The new tire is a Michellin as well. Maybe my luck will change. NAHHH, guess I better get some good quality back ups just to have "in case" And I need to find a local place that will charge me a fair price. Maybe a motorcycle shop? Has anybody else tried the tire sealant?

TPococke

• "Life is Good!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 06:25:08 PM »
Stargazer, In answer to your question the first flat was a blow out at 80 mph on the interstate. It was a bolt or something like it with the size of the hole in the tire, right in the middle. This time I didn't have nearly the drama, the tire went down slowly during the mile from work to the first traffic light. I didn't ask what caused it this time I just counted my lucky stars. I have never tried any tire sealant. That goes back to my mountain biking days. I just carried an extra innertube, quick fix and back on the trail. I would just like to hear some more comments about the sealant.

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 02:26:13 AM »
re the service light button...its a little rubber plug with a conical point underneath it like an icecream cone and when pressed this is supposed to push aginst the plastic switch underneath to re-set the switch until next time..only the little rubber conical thingy is a bit flexy and does not work all that well...solution ...pull out the rubber plug thing , push down on the switch with the flat end of a 1/8th "drill or something ( cant get the finger in there) then when the light  goes out, push the rubber plug back in ..a little WD40 or slicone spray will help get the plug back into the hole  ;D

TPococke

• "Life is Good!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 09:20:13 PM »
I found out bike has to be on the kickstand with the power on. Press the button and the Oil Service light turns off almost instantly.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()