Author Topic: Rusty Kymco anyone?  (Read 364 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Rusty Kymco anyone?
« on: July 20, 2019, 10:00:18 PM »
Just finished reading Vespa forum posts about all the seam and underbody rust they have to deal with - especially in the U.K.
Seems to creep in no matter how they prep and/or clean them.
I'd of thought that, for the price, Vespa would be spraying on a very, very strong and thick substance to coat the bottom of these scoots.

Anyway, the most rust I've seen on a scooter was all the discolored bits (rust?) on nearly every weld on the grey painted frame of a NOS Burgman 400.

Kymco , Honda and Piaggio paint their frames gloss black - so I'm not seeing any rust there. I've treated all the metal bits and areas I can get to with ACF-50 on each of my scooters. And of course our plastic panels will never rust!

The ACF-50 smells funny until it cooks in - but seems to be protecting well.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Lord Faversham

• Upper Class Twit of the Year
  • Farkhem Hall, Tittering, Middle England
    • View Profile
Re: Rusty Kymco anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 08:45:23 AM »
Yeah the xciting 500 I have had frame rust Stig, but it’s confined to two areas. One is underneath by the centre stand and the other is around the tail section underneath the side covers by the seat lock mechanism.

These areas are obviously exposed to the salty winter roads more than others. I cleaned them off with a wire brush drill bit and gave them a good dose of hammerite. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards

Faversham

Farkhem Hall, Tittering, Middle England.

Current Wheels:
Kymco Xciting 500i
Honda CX500
Yamaha R125
Previous:
BMW RT1100
Honda RD03 Africa Twin 750
Kawasaki GPZ500s
Derbi Terra Adventure 125
Countless Lambrettas

General Zod

• View Profile
Re: Rusty Kymco anyone?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 01:46:48 AM »
When I was in the market for a bike, I went to a few dealerships and noticed the bad rusting on some of the Burgman 400s, and these bikes were 2015 and 2016 models. It did turn me off of them.

my old 2010 Xciting never had rust on it, and a drove that thing through water a few times.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()