Author Topic: Ethanol retraining  (Read 422 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Ethanol retraining
« on: July 28, 2019, 12:52:44 PM »
Never fails! No matter what and then you have to retrain! Just finished cleaning a carb on a 22 hp Kohler v-twin. This is the third season of nearly flawless operation and it would not idle. Full power was fine but on throttling back it would go into governor hunting and quit. Putting Sta-bil in the tank is only a part of prevention. You gotta run it long enough to get the mix into the float bowl! I am all re-trained now!

By the way, small wire like guitar/banjo/mandolin strings are great for jet cleaning! Got a free one at a guitar shop since they usually throw the old strings (wires) out. Some are .012" diameter!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

eamartin

• View Profile
Re: Ethanol retraining
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 11:33:19 AM »
You gotta run it long enough to get the mix into the float bowl! I am all re-trained now!

Agreed.  For 6 years my routine has been the same for a KLR650.  In October l fill it up with fuel, add stabilizer, ride it for 8-10 miles, park it, turn the tank petcock to "off" and let it idle until it dies.  Fresh stabilized fuel has been run through the entire system, float bowl is pretty well empty as are the jets.  So far the bike has started right up and idled every May after this process.   

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 01:04:51 PM »
Then there is "STIG's Sear's cheap 4 stroke Lawn Mower"

21 years, no oil changes, no stabil, sat 365 with ethanol blend gas in it, always starts first pull in the spring after pushing rubber prime button. Always used premium Shell (with 10% corn squeezing's) Only retired it after 1st AND second wheel broke out of the chassis.
All my guitar strings are ON my guitar.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 01:50:03 PM »
This is Tennessee, boys! They mix in stuff from gallon jugs that Bubba makes deep in the woods (hear banjos?)!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()