Author Topic: Problems with 4x4 switch  (Read 2825 times)

Mountainman

• View Profile
Problems with 4x4 switch
« on: July 29, 2019, 04:23:04 AM »
This one has got stumped well. 2018 Kymco 450i UXV, I still have 4-wheel differ-lock but do not have standard 4WD. I pulled the switch out and all leads passed continuity check with an ohmmeter.  With it, in 2WD turn, the key on and actuator makes a clicking noise, with the key on and turn the switch from 2WD to 4WD no sound at all. Go from 4WD to the 4WD differential lock the actuator makes the same clicking noise but it does lock into 4WD diff lock. Move it back to 4WD no sound at all move on back to 2WD and it goes into 2WD. Removed the rubber inspection boot and the C-clip is in tack and the rod will go from one extreme to the other but will not stop in the middle for 4WD. Any suggestion? This one has got me, cain't figure out why the switch shows good but will not do anything or make any sound went you go from 2WD to 4WD.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with 4x4 switch
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 04:18:11 PM »
if it's not the switch, then it is most likely in the wiring enroute to the actuator, or the actuator itself
RandyO
IBA#9560

Mountainman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 05:49:29 PM »
! ran this diagnostic on the supply harness to the Actuator and it all passed. the only thing left is the $280.00 dollars Actuator lol                                                                         .

NOTE: With the engine stopped and the ignition switch in the ON position, a momentary “whirring” sound must be noticeable each time the selector switch is moved to 2WD and 4WD. Test the switch, 30 amp fuse, and wiring connections prior to testing the actuator.

Set the multimeter to read DC voltage (DCV).
1. Select the 2WD position on the front drive selector switch; then disconnect the connector on the actuator wiring harness.

2. With the ignition switch in the OFF Position, connect the black tester lead to the black wire in the supply harness; then connect the red tester lead to the brown/lavender wire in the supply harness.

3. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position The meter must show 12 DC volts.

4. Connect the red tester lead to the white/blue wire in the supply harness. The meter must show 12 DC volts.

5. Select the 4WD position on the front drive selector switch, then connect the red tester lead to the white/blue wire in the supply harness. The meter must show 0 DC volts.

6. Connect the red tester lead to the brown/lavender wire in the supply harness. The meter must show 12 DC volts.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 07:04:06 PM »
Man, that stinks! I own the same machine, purchased this March. Any chance yours is still under warranty?
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Mountainman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 03:31:44 AM »
Nope done run out

bowpro73

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 08:52:09 PM »
Did you ever find the problem? My son's 450i is doing the exact same thing. I'd like to go straight to the problem without a bunch of trial and error if you found it out.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 10:29:50 PM »
I have the UXV500i with this same feature but from an operator standpoint have found that shifting among the three options that first you s'posed to be stopped (if I remember the instructions) then once you switch ya gotta have some forward or reverse plus a little left - right steering input for the actual shift. Mine works fine so far except rolling in a straight line it will take forever to shift.

Hope that helps. Anything to avoid spending 280 of anything! Har, har!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

bowpro73

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 07:56:30 AM »
I've checked the power at the actuator connectors with the voltmeter and I'm getting the voltage. After reading through many "4wd problems," it seems that water gets into the actuators and can potentially be cleaned out. I removed the three bolts that hold the actuator in place. I can't get it to come out. It seems to come out about an inch further if in "differential lock,"  but still won't come out. Is there a trick to full removal of the actuator? Do I need to get into differential and pull a pin or what?

bowpro73

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 08:50:41 AM »
Well, after my last post, I found a PDF mechanic manual for the 500 and 700, and see that I need to remove an end cap and pull a circlip. This manual is large and I couldn't load it to share. It's 1385 pages long, and I found the actuator removal on page 1052. lol. If anyone is interested in the manual, drop me an email address and I'll send the PDF. Otherwise, you can Google "Kymco mxu 450i actuator removal," and the attached screenshot is what I selected. Lots of useful info if needed by any. [emoji16]

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()