Author Topic: They finally fixed the Downtown's regulator  (Read 920 times)

mousejunks

• View Profile
They finally fixed the Downtown's regulator
« on: July 30, 2019, 06:55:54 AM »
As mentioned in this forum a few times, the Downtown is well known for having a weak charging system. The regulator-rectifier is especially problematic as it can't seem to handle the power requirements of the scooter and is located above the exhaust pipe so it overheats easily. I have replaced the regulator twice and stator once during my 300i's lifetime.

In the Downtown 350i Kymco has noticed this issue affecting 300i models and replaced the faulty design with a different regulator. One thing to mention is that it looks much more robust with a bigger aluminium heatsink and thicker wiring. It has been relocated to the left side of the bike above the airbox to allow better airflow and cooling. This adds to the LED front indicators and LED brake light and a 55W headlight (35W+35W on the 300i) which helps further reduce current draw.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 10:19:05 AM by mousejunks »
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: They finally fixed the Downtown's regulator
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 10:45:27 AM »
I wonder if it is still the shorting type regulator? These posts and pictures are really great! This is the stuff you never see until you actually get that model!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

mousejunks

• View Profile
Re: They finally fixed the Downtown's regulator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 10:53:52 AM »
I wonder if it is still the shorting type regulator? These posts and pictures are really great! This is the stuff you never see until you actually get that model!

It probably still is a shorting-type regulator because they are cheaper to make. However the headlights are hardwired to 'always on' so Kymco must be more confident for this particular design.

Plus another pic below
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()