Author Topic: Need Help: Just purchased 2013 Kymco 500UXV, shifting issues  (Read 1448 times)

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
Need Help: Just purchased 2013 Kymco 500UXV, shifting issues
« on: August 01, 2019, 02:06:49 AM »
I just purchased this machine on the word of the seller this machine was in perfect shape, with only 81 hours of use.  I took him at his word.  He seemed honest.   I purchased three weeks ago.  Never really used it but to drive around my neighborhood three times.  The seller said sometimes you have to finnagle the shifter it to get into P sometimes.  Well, after three drives it no longer shifts into park. It's like all the gears went forwarded one slot on the shifter box.  Reverse is now neutral, N is now High gear. The shifter can't go forward enough to get into L gear.  Any help greatly valued before I go west.  I have to think this is fixable.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help: Just purchased 2013 Kymco 500UXV, shifting issues
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 05:40:22 PM »
I wasn't familiar with that vehicle...had to do a search. I see it's a side by side with a CVT and low, high, neutral and reverse gears.

I would start with following the shift linkage from the shifter to the transmission. Look to see if it has any adjustment. It might be as simple as loosening a nut, adjusting linkage and retightening.

If this doesn't work I'd suggest finding (or buying) a service manual. I see a manual available online for purchase.

Sorry, this is the best I've got!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 06:04:59 PM »
What lahawk said and I have one of those. When they are new and/or low time like yours they are an absolute crab to shift. You have to use some finesse initially. Like getting into P requires rocking forward/reverse (YES, get OUT and push both fwd and rev while using slight rearward pressure on the shift lever).

No prob, bob! Remove both seats, remove shift knob, remove center console cover. Then inspect linkage. You may find something bent or slipped. Tell what you find.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 06:43:39 AM »
What. a great help.  Great info and thanks so much!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 01:04:28 AM »
Find anything yet?
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 03:45:03 PM »
I'm currently on a business trip to the Ukraine but my son did take my machine into a Kymco service scope near my home.  I'll get a report around Wednesday this week. 

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 04:23:02 AM »
I'm currently on a business trip to the Ukraine but my son did take my machine into a Kymco service scope near my home.  I'll get a report around Wednesday this week.

Total summary to date is it will take 5 days before they can look at it.   Then they will give thorough inspection and if the parts are need to what they think is the issues another 1plus week.  So total time down could be 3 weeks.   That is cutting it close for my trip out west.

Keeping fingers crossed the repair is minor and they get it resolved quickly.  I can't imagine there is an issue with the transmission.  I just ran in in H and clocked 39mph even with the shifting issues.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 10:44:46 AM »
I think that is about it for this model. There may be a little more beyond 39 mph but not much. That's what I see on mine.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()