Author Topic: Any ideas for attaching a license plate that's too big?  (Read 4463 times)

Rianna

• View Profile
Any ideas for attaching a license plate that's too big?
« on: September 13, 2010, 09:24:22 PM »
Here's my problem, if you can see it. The holes on the plate are much farther apart than the holes they are supposed to line up with.  ???

I have doubts that one screw on the top left will hold it in place for long. Any ideas???

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas for attaching a license plate that's too big?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 09:36:22 PM »
Drill new holes in the plate? Or use a mounting plate behind your plate.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 09:46:05 PM »
Found, drill bits, but no drill. Hmm...maybe I can carouse the neighborhood, plate in hand with holes already penciled in?  :D New holes might work. This is a good idea if I can get the holes below the letters. Thanks, sid. Going to search for a drill again.

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 11:32:56 PM »
Get a license plate holder that your plate fits and you can drill holes in the holder to fit on the scoot.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 11:45:50 PM »
Sounds good. Thank you, Agent Bob. If it holds til payday, that will be good.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 11:47:30 PM »
duck tape and zip ties work good lol ;D ;D

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 12:07:26 AM »
I thought about the zip ties, but I only have the short ones left. Maybe zip a few together, blue? LOL

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 12:44:21 AM »
You need a lisence plate adapter bracket . I got mine at virgil naff's in lynchburg . Good luck .

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 12:55:43 AM »
Ha! Thanks, juice! I know where that is.  :D

stiffi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 02:01:52 AM »
My People was the same way.

I tore off the Temporary plate (made of paper) before noticing, and had to ride to work that day. So, I just drilled a single Center hole through both the plate and the Plastic Kymco holder, and attached with the same hardware. Looks fine so far!

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 06:30:54 AM »
Most motorcycle shops will have them.  Should be about 20 dollars for the Plate Holder but you can get them online for about $5 but watch the shipping.  Measure your plate to be sure you get the correct size.

I made one by taking a 69 cent piece of flashing from home depot, and the $5 frame from Cycle Gear store.  I screwed the metal to the bike, put the frame in front of  the metal and used a marker to mark the edges and for corners.  I used tin snips to round the corners and a drill and made holes in the four corners large enough for the bolts on the plate reflectors I got at Cycle Gear.  I then painted the frame and the metal plate (front and back) with black spray paint.  The then screwed the plate to the bike and then the place the plate n the metal and then the frame, and screwed it all together with the reflectors.

...or you could go the junk yard and get one for a dollar or two.

I could post phots of mine but my bike is at the shop until tomorrow.

ok.. heres a bad photo...

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 12:50:28 PM »
Thanks, stiffi, I was worried my one little bolt might not hold for very long. I'll keep an eye on it for a few days to make sure.

Wow, I never thought about all the cool finds to be had at the junkyard, TechGuy. Gonna keep that thought in the back of my mind. Hey, you got a pretty cool looking one for like 6 bucks there and I like them little plate reflectors. I guess if we gotta have them they might as well look nice. Sorry your bike's in the shop.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 05:03:58 AM »
It's back from the shop.  It only cost $47 plus beer for the guys to fix.  It was a vacuum hose.  It hasn't run this good in a year.

Don't forget your beer when you pay at the scooter shop... assuming it's ok.  You can take it to the shop in a grocery bag and ask if they can take care of it for you.  Someone can usually find a use for it and they treat you much nicer the next time. I guess if it's not OK, they will thank you for the offer.  You could then come back with a 12 pack of cold sodas.... or bring six of each.

I will get a good shot of the plate tomorrow.  The guy (owner) at the BMW dealer really liked it.  We were talking bikes and he asked to see my bobbed scooter.

Carol

• Brainerd, Minnesota
  • Look me up on facebook !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 05:59:45 AM »

Glad I am not the only one with a funky plate deal going on.
  The lame set up on my scooter didn't get our attention until hubby and I notice the plate was gone!
  Thankfully the nice guy that lives next door makes heating and cool ducts in his garage.  He made a plate holder that bolted nicely in the single hole available on my scooter.
  He (the neighbor) Jeff is really good with bending sheets of metal,  remind me around Christmas time to post a photo of our beautiful stocking holder on our fireplace mantel!

Happy Scooting!

Carol
Crosby, MN
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to skid in broadside , thoroughly used up , totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!!"

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 04:44:33 PM »
remind me around Christmas time to post a photo of our beautiful stocking holder on our fireplace mantel!

Hi, Carol, I was just wondering...Do you have any Christmas decorations up yet? ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()