Author Topic: KYMCO like 200 keeps dying  (Read 14508 times)

whiskers626

• View Profile
Re: KYMCO like 200 keeps dying
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2019, 10:45:01 AM »
@stig I turned the key on and the headlight, tail light, blinker all work fine and bright, and when I hit the start but the relay clicks, not a repeated click lime a car does when the battery is dead just one click when I hit the button and the starter does nothing.
I know this has nothing to do with my original problem but now I can’t even get back to my original problem because the starter will not turn the engine, I think I may have worn the starter out trying to fix the original problem.  :o

Thank you again for everyone’s help. What now? Lol

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2019, 11:01:26 AM »
Whiskers,
You anywhere in S W Ohio?!
Time for a forum meet in your driveway!
Seriously....we could make a house call if you aren't too far, and you have donuts in your country.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2019, 07:00:34 AM »
Man I wish, I’m in Bradenton Florida. Long way away.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2019, 11:14:09 AM »
Man I wish, I’m in Bradenton Florida. Long way away.

Ah well, won't be down to St Pete beach till next June to visit mom.
Ok, so no starter if you use a screwdrive to jump across the two relay posts?
No go? Guess you need a new starter. Can you get a socket or wrench on the two 8mm starter bolts, working from under the seat? Might be a used Kymco starter on ebay....but don't pay near the new price of $70.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Darryllw1

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2019, 03:38:55 AM »
I have a 2005 Mongoose 300 quad which is now acting just like your scooter was in your first posts.
It will crank the starter great, engine fires, runs great for three or four cycles, then dies quickly, just like you turned off the key or pressed the kill switch.  No slow sputter like poor fuel supply, but a quick die..  I am in neutral and the parking brake is applied.

I too have done (most) everything mentioned throughout the prior posts, with no good results.
But I have stumbled onto a new possibility - possible failure of my “gear shift control assembly”.

Does your scooter have a similar safety device?  My quad is designed not to start unless it’s in neutral.  Even with my shifter in neutral, my quad acts like your scooter- starts but quickly dies.

If I do not have my “parking brake” applied, the starter will not turn at all. That’s another safety feature built in that I can live with.

To get it to start, before pushing the start button, I move my shifter from neutral to forward, then back to neutral, then press the starter button, and sometimes it starts and keeps running.  If that fails, I shift from neutral to reverse back to neutral then press the start button and sometimes it runs and keeps running.  It’s hit and miss. 

Not sure this helps, but it’s the least I can do since you guys have been working so hard trying to resolve your situation which has very similar symptoms to my quad.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2019, 10:51:22 AM »
Thanks for your post.
But no, that is not found on this scooter - or on any scooter that I know of.
Closest scooter device might be the tip-over device. Shuts the scooter off after a fall.
Stig
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 10:53:52 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2019, 11:08:41 AM »
Stig, for the life of me I can’t find the mounting bolts for my scoot, I have the service manual but it shows to mounting prongs and for the life of me I can’t find them, do you have any idea how I get the starter out this thing is driving me crazy. My wife and I moved down here from Panama City because of Michael, my motorcycles and my scooter was the only things not destroyed in the hurricane, now I wish maybe just the scoot would have been swept away lol not really but this thing is a pain in the arss

Any help on getting the darn starter out

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2019, 02:39:53 PM »
Stig, for the life of me I can’t find the mounting bolts for my scoot, I have the service manual but it shows to mounting prongs and for the life of me I can’t find them, do you have any idea how I get the starter out this thing is driving me crazy. My wife and I moved down here from Panama City because of Michael, my motorcycles and my scooter was the only things not destroyed in the hurricane, now I wish maybe just the scoot would have been swept away lol not really but this thing is a pain in the arss

Any help on getting the darn starter out
As my Grandpa used to say, "Hold your water!"(though, never really knew what that meant)....I'm pulling my seat/bucket and investigating. There has got to be a way to get at it, without pulling the engine! I'm thinking removing the entire airb0x should expose the two phillips screw heads holding it into the engine.
Have camera, flashlight and coffee....

Back soonest...
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2019, 06:07:00 PM »
OK, it looks like the airbox, complete, must come out to access the two starter fasteners. (8mm bolt and a phillips screw)
Not all that easy because there are a few hoses attached to the airbox, including the large fitting to the throttle body.

Do take photos, for replacement, and try wiggling the airbox to see what other hoses.tubes need to be unplugged.

With the airbox out of the way, working from the left side, it should be possible to remove the starter bolts, unplug the wire, and lift out the starter.

forum has closed me out so many times trying to post this!
so, the short version.
If it works as the best way to remove a LIKE200i starter I will make it a DIY sticky.

Stig
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 06:26:29 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2019, 07:43:45 AM »
Ok Stig, I got it out Woopwoop, now finding a starter, I see a lot on amazon and other sites and they look exactly the same but none of them say “ for 200i or 200cc. They all say 150cc but the measurements for the bolt holes are exactly the same. Dumb question, but do you think one of those will work?
I know it’s a blind question but who knows?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2019, 11:46:25 AM »
Wait-! Let me ask Blind Jeff, our pin striper and paint color matcher....
He says, "go for it!"
Me, I'd try one of the Kymco dealers who sell parts - listed at top of General Discussion page.
They run @$75 for oem part....but this is probably 3X the price of knockoffs.
For Instructional Purposes : can you give us a short description of what you did to get the starter out?
Stig
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 11:58:55 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2019, 04:42:37 PM »
Wait-! Let me ask Blind Jeff, our pin striper and paint color matcher....
He says, "go for it!"
Me, I'd try one of the Kymco dealers who sell parts - listed at top of General Discussion page.
They run @$75 for oem part....but this is probably 3X the price of knockoffs.
For Instructional Purposes : can you give us a short description of what you did to get the starter out?
Stig

Stupid question. I assume the starter has been tested since you got it out ?

Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2020, 07:42:44 PM »
Hello all, sorry it’s been so long, bought a house and had to move, so everything went on hold, does anyone know where I can he a starter for my 2013 like 200i? The dealer here wants 165 bucks not gonna happen!
Thanks in advance

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2020, 07:59:04 PM »

looking at used LIKE starters on ebay....they sure look just like this new one for $28.
Might be worth a try? Fast free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STARTER-ETON-SCOOTER-PN21-MATRIX-R4-150-813808-LESTER-19573-410-58004/361938153302?fits=Model%3ALike%7CSubmodel%3A200i%7CMake%3AKYMCO&hash=item544531ef56:g:kSAAAOSw4vRdUsA7:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!45503!US!-1

Good luck!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2020, 08:50:20 PM »
Stupid question. I assume the starter has been tested since you got it out ?
To repeat Scooterfan's question, did you actually TEST the starter to confirm it is bad?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()