Author Topic: KYMCO like 200 keeps dying  (Read 15322 times)

whiskers626

• View Profile
KYMCO like 200 keeps dying
« on: August 04, 2019, 12:09:00 PM »
Hello all, I have a 2013 kymco like 200i, it only has 500 miles and been garage kept, was running fine one day and went to take it for a spin and now it cranks and then dies after about 5 seconds, I can’t for the life of me figure out what could be wrong. I have a service manual but it doesn’t tell me much, any ideas?????
Thanks

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: KYMCO like 200 keeps dying
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 01:09:24 PM »
Need more input. Stig is the resident guru on Like 200i and he will be here shortly asking for more information like how long did it sit before attempting to start, was there any Seafoam or Stabil added to gas, was the battery charged before start attempt, was the gas cap opened before start, how old is the fuel. Stuff like that...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 03:36:48 PM »
Add fresh fuel and try again. Check the battery voltage using a meter with the headlight on, if it drops below 12V in a few seconds it's too weak .
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 03:40:20 PM »
Let's start with easy stuff....
Kill switch in the run position? (the RED switch)
Has scooter gotten wet since last ride?
Is it very hot where you are?
Tried starting with gas cap off?

Could you post us a video of your starting attempts?
Vibration of running engine causing loose spark plug cap to disconnect? Is cap tight?

Fires always and quickly - then shuts off after a few seconds, or....please describe more fully?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 11:28:17 AM »
I have tried starting with the gas cap off, when I did and turn the key on and the fuel pump started I notice small bubble in the gas tank, it is very hot here, the scooter has never been wet, I’ve checked the air breather and can’t find anything wrong, the last time I rode it it was fine and I didn’t touch it for about a month then came to ride it and this is happening. I may need to change the fuel I have not tried that yet. No seafoM or any additive has been added. I put a new spark plug in but it did not fix anything. Yes the red on switch is on. I tried to attach a video but it’s too large

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 11:29:05 AM »
It will start and then dies after a few seconds

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 12:06:07 PM »
When starting the engine fully open the throttle. This is a Kymco procedure to reduce engine flooding and clear the combustion chamber.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 01:20:44 PM »
At mousejunks tried starting with the throttle fully open it wouldn’t start then tried without the throttle open and it started and died a few seconds later as usual

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 02:49:20 PM »
Can you start it with throttle closed, then rev it sightly as soon as it starts or hold the throttle slightly open
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 02:56:57 PM »
It will start with the throttle closed but if I give it throttle it will rev up but only for a second and stall, with or without throttle it stalls after a few seconds

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2019, 03:26:15 PM »
Can you start it with throttle closed, then rev it sightly as soon as it starts or hold the throttle slightly open

At mousejunks tried starting with the throttle fully open it wouldn’t start then tried without the throttle open and it started and died a few seconds later as usual
Whiskers, what country?
If in USA, it's not the gas.
Not your plug, if can crank for long time it's not your battery. You hear fuel pump, so not that.
Starts and dies....
One crazy thought: disconnect battery please. Turn key on, don't try to start. . Wait. Reconnect battery. Now try to start.
Thought #2: turn key on, don't try to start, wait 10 seconds, now give full throttle and hold 10 seconds. Let go, wait 5 seconds, turn key off. Now try normal start using no throttle....just key on, pull both brake levers, push start button. Any better?
I'm thinking ECU (brain) needs clearing. If you have good battery and good plug, good coil connections - Something electrical is happening,  telling fuel to stop flowing through injector.
Thought #3: open battery cover. Turn the key on, do not start, touch the pink wire to the frame to ground it (use a short piece of wire to do this if necessary). Turn off the key. Now start.
In my opinion, letting it sit for weeks should only effect battery strength....nothing else. But, maybe repeated start attempts has confused ECU.?

I do not think it is a serious fault ....unless ECU has died. Highly unlikely.

Give us report back please.
Stig
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 06:12:27 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 08:16:43 AM »
@stig thank you I will try all that in just a little while and get back to you promptly

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 10:21:43 AM »
@stig I tried everything on the list and still doing the same thing. I should not that I do use a battery tender. Not sure if that makes a difference. I did notice after doing all of that, that the negative battery terminal was warm/hot to the touch. I do have another spark plug but it is a c7hsa it does not have the r in the part number. Should I try it? I’m at a loss, it wants to crank but it keeps stalling after only 2 to 3 seconds. I’m baffled.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 04:57:03 PM »
Please check this Ground Wire - we've seen these come loose....
On your newish scooter it should be a gold colored 5mm hex head screw.
If it's loose could bounce upon starting.

Engine quitting after a start can be caused by air leaks in one of the two boots connected to either end of the throttle body.
Look for looseness of either boot.
Throttle body...

Snorkle from the airfilter...

Intake manifold clamps...

DO you have another known-good 12V bike/scooter battery you could set on the foot panel, hook up and try?

Stig
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:00:28 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 04:38:18 PM »
I tried eveything except that little ground wire in the pic, I will get at it later today and let you know, also I do not have a extra battery, I may just have to buy one regardless, like I said it is a 2013 but only has 500 miles, but has always had a tender attached to the battery when not in use. So we will see.

Thanks

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()