Author Topic: KYMCO like 200 keeps dying  (Read 15407 times)

Alpha95

• View Profile
    • Alpha 95
Re: KYMCO like 200 keeps dying
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 09:04:09 PM »
I'd do all Stig has mentioned and definitely a new battery as if its been in the bike since 2013 as it really is due a new one, tender or no tender. If its hot where you are also check that the choke isn't stuck on, some of these chokes ain't great and if its running rich then opening the throttle will just cause it to bog and die on a warm engine. Put up a video if you can so everyone here can hear the engine as we could be clutching at straws otherwise. Is there any other things like does there seem to be more smoke than there usually is? Have you checked that the spark plug itself hasn't rattled slightly loose? It can be very hard to diagnose a bike with just text to rely on  ;D
Kieran

Personal motorcycles:
Modified 1995 Suzuki RF600
125cc Custom Bobber

Owner of Alpha 95 where we buy, repair and sell motorcycles of all shapes and sizes. Also custom builds and services. Too many bikes I've bought to list

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 09:49:26 PM »
I'd do all Stig has mentioned and definitely a new battery as if its been in the bike since 2013 as it really is due a new one, tender or no tender. If its hot where you are also check that the choke isn't stuck on, some of these chokes ain't great and if its running rich then opening the throttle will just cause it to bog and die on a warm engine. Put up a video if you can so everyone here can hear the engine as we could be clutching at straws otherwise. Is there any other things like does there seem to be more smoke than there usually is? Have you checked that the spark plug itself hasn't rattled slightly loose? It can be very hard to diagnose a bike with just text to rely on  ;D
This is a fuel injected engine. No choke. All other comments and suggestions spot on.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Alpha95

• View Profile
    • Alpha 95
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 10:24:00 PM »
Thanks for the correction CROSSBOLT, not familiar with these bikes so didn't know. The few Kymco bikes I've had in our workshop including a 2015 Kpipe have been carb so just assumed  ;D
Kieran

Personal motorcycles:
Modified 1995 Suzuki RF600
125cc Custom Bobber

Owner of Alpha 95 where we buy, repair and sell motorcycles of all shapes and sizes. Also custom builds and services. Too many bikes I've bought to list

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 04:44:44 PM »
@stig I found the small ground wire, and it was good and right, tried tightening the boots from the air breather, now I am waiting til Monday until a new battery gets here. And I will let you know if that does any good. Thanks for all your help.

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 05:02:37 PM »
@alpha and crossbolt! Waiting on a new battery now, I tried posting a video but can’t get the video small enough to upload on this site. It’s the weirdest thing it was running fine and went to ride it and bamn wouldn’t stay running smh

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 05:35:16 PM »
@alpha and crossbolt! Waiting on a new battery now, I tried posting a video but can’t get the video small enough to upload on this site. It’s the weirdest thing it was running fine and went to ride it and bamn wouldn’t stay running smh
The fuel pump has a filter on it - so cannot imagine something got thru the line to block the injector. Not in 500 miles.

Scoot does not have a shut-off for side stand down - but does have a tip-over shut-off ("sensor, angle detect" #35380-LEA2-900, $68.00)- whose job it is to shut down the engine (fuel pump?) in a matter of a few seconds in a tip-ever (wreck). Wonder if this is somehow activated …..by being jostled, tipped by owner, come lose from mounting? ? Never heard of it malfunctioning on a LIKE200i. No ideas where it is....sadly. Anyone know?

You say "500 Miles"...…are you the first owner? Wondering if previous owner worked on it? Did he do something wrong with the valve adjustment….like leaving the tappet lock nut too loose? Would be my first LIKE200i to begin not starting from need of valve adjustment at only 500 miles from the factory settings.

My LIKE will try to start and run with the kill switch in the 'KILL' position - but won't actually run. We're sure about the kill switch position?!

These things are bullet proof scoots - which is frustrating us all with your issue. You don't live in SW Ohio, do you?

Stig
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:27:12 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 05:25:10 PM »
@stig, yes we bought it right off the showroom floor, it has never been worked on, also if there is a sensor aka tilt sensor, I would have no idea where it was, it has been been layed down or even tilted further than the tilt of the kick stand.
Im waiting on the battery to get here monday hopefully that will cure the problem.
Ive double checked the kill switch and it is in the correct position, I will jiggle it again and see if it does anything, heck it may be bad who knows.
I will try and find the tilt sensor.
All you guys are awesome I really do appreciate all this help.

Thanks

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 05:36:23 PM »
OK ALL, in my original post I had rode the scooter and then it was setting for about a month, and went to start it and it stalled. Well, actually after it was set up for a month, it DID crank up and stayed running and my wife rode it about 500 yards before it stalled!
And this is where it has been doing the things stated in the previous post. Form the point it stalled with her, it will crank and run for about 3 - 4 seconds then stall, and in all honesty it is getting harder and harder to crank. The old NAVY HT in me is thinking it has something to do with fuel, but man I know nothing about fuel injected motor scooters. Wondering if a injector is bad.
Hope this helps.

Thanks hope this helps somehow.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2019, 08:45:48 PM »
OK ALL, in my original post I had rode the scooter and then it was setting for about a month, and went to start it and it stalled. Well, actually after it was set up for a month, it DID crank up and stayed running and my wife rode it about 500 yards before it stalled!
And this is where it has been doing the things stated in the previous post. Form the point it stalled with her, it will crank and run for about 3 - 4 seconds then stall, and in all honesty it is getting harder and harder to crank. The old NAVY HT in me is thinking it has something to do with fuel, but man I know nothing about fuel injected motor scooters. Wondering if a injector is bad.
Hope this helps.

Thanks hope this helps somehow.

OK, died while riding!
First - your Kymco engine is warranted for 24 months after first registered for the road.....regardless of the model year. Are you still under warranty?

I wouldn't go much further if you are still under warranty.

If not:

Since it keeps starting, then dying - plus you've checked a lot of obvious stuff - I am inclined to think it is fuel related, too.
But not just water in the gas....maybe fuel pump is failing? With no carb, the fuel is forced (pumped) to the injector by the pump in the tank on signal from the ECU. There is a cold start step, then a reg. run step. Your cold start step seems to be working....

fuel pump not getting correct info to keep running by the ECU - would a weak battery cause this?

Less likely:
vacuum has formed in the tank?  Will it start/run with gas cap loosened?
overfilled tank fowling the breather hose system?

Maybe:
injector clogged, loose, or not getting good info from the ECU?.

Worse case:
ECU has failed?

You are not getting any code flashes from the self diag. system?

I forget- have you tried a known good spark plug? Got a good spark when grounded to frame?(plugs don't just crack on their own -  cap not seated, cap needs screwed into wire a few turns?)

This will be good info for other owners, when we get it figured out!

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2019, 07:39:09 AM »
It’s been registered since 2013 so I don’t think the warranty is still good. I have tried cranking with the gas cap off it does the same thing. I did notice when I turned the key on and the fuel pump starts going I see air bubble in the fuel tank not sure if it’s supposed to do that or not just seems odd. I’ll try some fresh gas and see if that does anything. I know for sure there is not water in the gas this thing has never seen water much less even been dirty lol. I will check the fuel injector by check I mean take it off and put it back on. Not sure how to check it otherwise.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2019, 11:27:00 AM »
Maybe I shouldn't have ignored your bubbles in tank comment.....
Don't see them in mine.
There is a LIKE200I  fuel pump DIY in LIKE200I heading, at top - in the stickies. Wonder if your fuel delivery issue is related to in-tank pump and/or lines?
I tested my injector with 9V Battery, it squirted just fine. (my engine stumble turned out to be failed throttle position sensor. Also rare, but related to 2012/13 models) Throttle body replaced under warranty)
If you remove injector...take note of all the bits and their position.
Unfortunately, your issue with a 500 mile LIKE is new to our forum.
Still think we'll find it to have been something simple....but new here.
Stig
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:36:13 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2019, 02:12:56 PM »
Ok I put the new battery in and bamn nothing  :( I’m figuring it’s a fuel thing, actually now it doesn’t even crank for a couple seconds more like half a second

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2019, 02:27:00 PM »
Ok I put the new battery in and bamn nothing  :( I’m figuring it’s a fuel thing, actually now it doesn’t even crank for a couple seconds more like half a second

If it doesn't crank, it isn't fuel.  It's electrical...
2009 Kymco Frost (aka Yager 200i)
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
2007 Aprilia SR50 (Morini motor)
2013 Aprilia SR50 (Piaggio motor)
1986 BMW R80

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2019, 02:55:28 PM »
Wait! What do you mean by "crank?" The deep south says "it won't crank" means it won't fire and run! They mean the starter spins it, but it won't fire and run! Now. What do you mean?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2019, 05:50:43 PM »
Well when I first started the thread, it would crank and run for about 3 seconds then stall, now it will crank and run for only about 1 second if that. lol
and yes I am originally from Alabama,
I have a brand new sprak plug in it, new battery, check all the wires, the grounds, not sure how to check the fuel injector. I did take it out and looked at it with a very stern look, but that did not seem to work.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()