Author Topic: KYMCO like 200 keeps dying  (Read 15404 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: KYMCO like 200 keeps dying
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2019, 01:25:09 AM »
Try just turning the key on, wait while it runs its little self check where tach and speedo needles go full deflection and back to zero and then do ALL the panel warning lights go out (except the red oil light) and stay out? Or does the check engine (CELP) light come back on in flashing code?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2019, 07:36:58 AM »
The light comes in for a couple seconds, and then nothing no blinking or anything, however while I’m turning it over to crank it, the light does blink sometimes

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2019, 11:40:07 PM »
It seems to be running out of gas...or spark, duh.
2009 GV 250

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2019, 11:49:42 PM »
My previous blurb is incomplete: I would first determine whether its a fuel or ignition problem. If you have a can of starting fluid (ether) you can squirt some in via the air filter to see if it continue to run  instead of dying, then you know it's a fuel problem. Conversely, if it dies regardless of the ether it's loosing spark. At least eliminate one or the other to begin your troubleshooting....
2009 GV 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2019, 06:05:56 PM »
 From August 10th post: "notice small bubble in the gas tank..."

The in-tank fuel pump does vibrate and make a little disturbance on the surface of the gasoline in the tank.
But, repeated presence of air bubbles coming up from the pump or its fittings, might indicate air is getting  into the line to the injector.

Yes, some starting fluid sprayed into the hose from the air filter would be worth a try.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2019, 09:29:17 AM »
Hello all, the battery I purchased was bad so I had to send it back and wait on another one. I’m gonna try all these things again including the starting fluid. Preparing for hurricane Dorian now so as soon as it passes I will get back to working on the scoot.
Thank you for all of yalls help and keep the info coming.

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2019, 09:35:04 AM »
Looks like I may need a new fuel pump any ideas?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2019, 11:16:51 AM »
My previous photo hoster dumped my pix. Let me rebuild the post to show how to replace a LIKE200I fuel pump for @$60.
BTW... never heard of a failed fuel pump in a LIKE200I...but anything is possible.
Stig
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 11:18:42 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2019, 09:42:52 AM »
The fuel pump is what the dealer told me it “could” be. I don’t have a way to get it to the shop and to be honest I can repair it myself as long as I know what it is. Gonna try starter fluid in the air intake this morning and respond back.

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2019, 12:59:46 PM »
Ok everyone, I did the starter fluid through the air intake and yes it cranked and ran for about 30 solid seconds!!!!
What does that tell me?  :D

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2019, 02:58:58 PM »
Ok everyone, I did the starter fluid through the air intake and yes it cranked and ran for about 30 solid seconds!!!!
What does that tell me?  :D
C'mon you good mechanics out there!!
I'm a sorry excuse for a mechanic --- but I'm thinking there is an problem with the fuel delivery.

To check the fuel injector with multimeter --- EASY > unplug connector down at the injector. Touch two prongs with meter to read ohms. should read 11.7 +/- .06

To check power to the fuel pump: unplug white connector on black cable leading from the tank top. Touch the multi meter leads to the harness side of the fuel pump connector, with the positive lead touching the red/black wire terminal and the negative lead touching the green wire terminal.
Turn the ignition switch on. The battery voltage should show for a few seconds. Replace the fuel pump if it is not functioning and the input voltage is correct.

If the battery voltage is not present check the following:
● Fuse B (10 A)
● Fuel cut-off relay
● ECU

To check the fuel pump with multimeter:
Touch the multi meter leads to the fuel pump side of the fuel pump connector, with the positive lead touching the red/black wire terminal and the negative lead touching the green wire terminal.
Fuel pump resistance (at 20°C/68°F)
red/black and green wires
1.9 ± 0.3 Ω

So, 3 fairly easy tests to get us started on inspecting the fuel delivery.
Please report back.
Stig
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 03:17:43 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2019, 01:02:42 AM »
Or disconnect the fuel line where it feeds into the motor and direct it into a coffee cup - turn on the ignition and see if the pump is actually able to spew fuel into the cup.
2009 Kymco Frost (aka Yager 200i)
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
2007 Aprilia SR50 (Morini motor)
2013 Aprilia SR50 (Piaggio motor)
1986 BMW R80

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2019, 07:03:54 AM »
Ok, I put the ohms tester on the injector plug the ohms read 16something. I put the volt meter on the plug side of the pump and turned the key on and it read 6 something, I took the fuel line off and turned the key on and the pump pumped fuel.
I’m not an expert but I did stay in a holiday in a holiday in express once. Lol
I’m guessing now it’s either the injector or a relay of sort.
Thoughts?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2019, 02:51:56 PM »

I tested both my spare, known good, injector and the injector in my LIKE200i - both came in at low 12.0 ohms.
Your injector tested at 16 ohms?....which is out of specs. What the deuce do we make of that!

You have fuel flowing to the injector - from your pump test?
Ignition is working per your starter spray test?

One injector test which I did years ago -  remove the injector, leave fuel line on,  and test for a spray with 9V battery touched to the two leads?
The procedure: remove the injector, disconnect injector lead from scooter, leave fuel line on, turn key on to build fuel pressure , turn key off, touch injector leads with leads from 9V battery - does it spray 2 or 3 times into a cup until pressure is gone when it is touched each time with the 9V leads?

I really hate the idea of buying parts for a new scooter - and hoping they'll stick to the wall.....

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2019, 11:01:22 AM »
Ok everyone I tested the injector with the 9volt batter, and it was spitting gas, I also took the injector off and reconnected it and again it did spit gas, I’m at a loss

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()