Author Topic: KYMCO like 200 keeps dying  (Read 14427 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: KYMCO like 200 keeps dying
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2020, 07:07:28 PM »
Ok all, I’ve read back through all pages and redid all the test and everything checks out and still nothing. I have decided it is some type of fuel thing. When I spray starter fluid in the air breather it will run as long as I keep spraying a little in there. So I don’t know what to do at this point. I’ve been looking for a rental diagnostic tool but my searches are coming up short.
Any other ideas?
At this point don't think you're going to find a diagnostic tool.
If you are motivated enough to purchase a subscription from cyclepedia.com - you can then open a service ticket with them and describe all you've done so far with your scooter.
I do not have a lot of experience with their techs - but what I did have was helpful - and they did write the USA Kymco service manuals for many of our scooters. (including the LIKE200i)
Please give us a report if you decide to go that way.
good luck!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2020, 09:06:28 PM »
I agree with Stig, as usual. Not only agree but will add that a diagnostic tool is going to do no good because your particular fuel problem would not likely show on ANY diagnostic tool.
One of the issues of our helping in this problem is that not ALL of our questions get answered. Like confirming the 5 ohm and 4.5 ohm meter test. That can change a lot. There are others but that is one example right up front. The main mission here is, like I have already stated, is to help solve the problem. But you have to supply good answers to every question.

I hope you eventually find the problem.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2020, 04:44:49 PM »
@stig, thanks I will look into it and see how much it cost. @carl not sure what questions you need answered as far as the ohms go on the injector, my meter reads 5.5 when I touch them together and 17.8 on the injector, there is no adjustment on my meter to zero it out. From reading back through I was supposed to subtract the 5.5 from the reading and that was my resistance

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2020, 07:46:55 PM »
I agree with Stig, as usual. Not only agree but will add that a diagnostic tool is going to do no good because your particular fuel problem would not likely show on ANY diagnostic tool.

This problem will show instantly on any dedicated diagnostic tool.  Just one example: if your camshaft position sensor (CPS) isn't reading correctly, the injector will be spraying at the wring time and also the spark will arrive at the plug at the wrong time. Here's how AutoBlog describes it:"If your vehicle idles roughly, stalls frequently, has a drop in engine power, stumbles frequently, has reduced gas mileage, or accelerates slowly, these are all signs your camshaft position sensor could be failing."  There's no way you can figure this out with a multi-meter. It's absolutely impossible on a fuel-injected machine.  With a carburetor, yes.  But with fuel-injection, never. It's impossible.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2020, 08:10:30 PM »
JJ, I agree with what you said. However, the OP says the engine will start and run as long as he sprays something flammable into the intake. That kinda lets the whole system off the hook except for fuel delivery. This is where the trouble shoot gets derailed with variables. The multimeter is suspect since the test leads shorted shows 4.5 to 5 ohms. This opens the question as to its accuracy. I am guessing his injector is OK since he says the thing reads normal plus 4.5 to 5 ohms AND the injectors traditionally are nearly bullet-proof. Anything beyond this is frustrating for points already mentioned.

He may have an intermittent relay, a vacuum leak, plugged fuel pump inlet and none of this stuff shows up on CELP light except maybe the relay. I suspect something really simple that would not show up on anything except a direct test like fuel delivery but that would never work in this instance.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2020, 05:25:52 AM »
JJ, I agree with what you said. However, the OP says the engine will start and run as long as he sprays something flammable into the intake.

True, but there's more moving parts at play here.  The OBD2 diagnostics on my 20 year old Chevy analyzes over 5,000 components. We've discussed one single item. There could be 4,999 more to be analyzed on the subject Kymco 200. It's no different if it's a Corvette or a BMW or a  Kymco. It's going to be a challenge to analyze them all with a multi-meter.  That's why I say it's impossible to do it by hand.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2020, 11:41:20 AM »
JJ, 5000 things on a Chevvy? Quite possibly. It is pretty sophisticated. The EFI on the Kymco is VERY basic. I have the reader for the Kymco system and they're are not that involved. No sir. Not even that many sensors.

MAP, TPS, ISC, O2, ambient air (some have inlet air temp, also),  ambient air pressure, 12 volts, 5 volts (indirectly), rpm, O2 sensor heat, spark advance (displays what has been programmed), engine temp and 11 codes. That's it. Plus, you don't need the Kymco tool to get any of the 11 fault codes because the blinking CELP light gives you those. By the way, the 11 trouble codes is on the DT300i but the Like 200i is similar. No codes indicate no problem as far as the ECU is concerned. There is no code for no gasoline.

I would be overjoyed to be proven wrong and whiskers got his bike running.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 02:54:48 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2020, 06:50:55 PM »
Re-read EVERYTHING from first post to last. These things stand out:
1. 500 miles on 2013 Like 200i, a brand and model known for quick, easy starts.
2. Was running normally then just quit.
3. Starter burned up by constantly cranking trying to get past "she's wantin' to start" point. (If it does not start in 2 or three engine revolutions, STOP with the start button!)
4. Two multimeters on ohms scale read 4.5 to 5 ohms with leads shorted together: MAJOR PROBLEM!
5. Engine starts and runs by spraying flammable fluid into air intake.
6. Disconnected fuel line shows fuel discharge when key on.
7. Fuel injector sprays small amount of fuel when key on and start switch pressed, so small it evaporates quickly.

Take injector to some shop that can test it for proper operation, spray pattern, volume, etc. This will either show a deficiency or rule out the injector as the problem cause. The injector gets 12 volts any time the fuel pump relay closes and the fuel pump runs. The injector is opened by a switched ground from the ECU.

MY re-reading everything shows you HAVE answered all questions so I apologize for accusing you otherwise. Please forgive me! Please report what the injector test shows. We will go from there. I am betting the injector is plugged with some decomposed ethanol fuel glop.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 31, 2020, 06:27:07 PM »
Hello? Anybody home? Six days....you OK?
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

whiskers626

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 04, 2020, 01:48:54 PM »
I took the injector out and built a contraption to clean it under pressure, it sprayed a nice mist while I did that, when I put the injector back on the bike it was one single pee stream again. So I decided to buy a fuel pressure test kit to see what the fuel pressure was, it didn’t even move the needle. The is a pic of the gage I used attached and and it is a innova fuel injection pressure test kit #3640

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2020, 03:33:49 PM »
I took the injector out and built a contraption to clean it under pressure, it sprayed a nice mist while I did that, when I put the injector back on the bike it was one single pee stream again. So I decided to buy a fuel pressure test kit to see what the fuel pressure was, it didn’t even move the needle. The is a pic of the gage I used attached and and it is a innova fuel injection pressure test kit #3640

What did you use to craete pressure during the “contaption”
test - the scooter’s fuel pump ?
If so - was the suction line during both tests coming from the fuel tank with fuel filter between the tank and fuel filter ?
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 04, 2020, 03:44:17 PM »
What did you use to craete pressure during the “contaption”
test - the scooter’s fuel pump ?
If so - was the suction line during both tests coming from the fuel tank with fuel filter between the tank and fuel filter ?
The fuel filter is on the pick-up end of the pump which is submerged in the tank.
There is no 'in-line' fuel filter on a LIKE200I.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 04, 2020, 04:32:22 PM »
There's yer sign! Pump pressure very low! Anyone know what the fuel pressure SHOULD BE?

2.5 bar = 36.something psi. Should be 36-37 psi
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 04:45:40 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 04, 2020, 04:38:29 PM »
The fuel filter is on the pick-up end of the pump which is submerged in the tank.
There is no 'in-line' fuel filter on a LIKE200I.
Stig

Let me ask the question this way then :

What did you use to create pressure at the injector during the “contraption” test - the same fuel pump inside the tank with unchecked fuel filter at the pick-up end ?

The reasoning for my question - injectors normally get tested with a manual operated pressure “contraption” - not with the fuel pump linked to the injector.

A “single pee streem” on an injector is usually caused by a faulty fuel pump, dirty fuel filter, and too little fuel flow to the injector to create pressure.

It would be very strange if the same source of fuel flow (i.e. fuel pump at the inside of this scooter’s tank) creates a perfect spray while the injector has been removed for n bench test, and then suddenly creates a “single pee stream” when re-installed.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 04:42:56 PM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 04, 2020, 06:38:46 PM »
Could not find specs for the Like but fuel pump pressure for the People GT 200i is 3 BAR or 45 PSI.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()