Author Topic: Rain Gear  (Read 1066 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Rain Gear
« on: August 04, 2019, 12:19:45 PM »
I'm considering ordering/purchasing some rain gear. I wear a large armored riding jacket. Should I order a rain jacket that is also a Large to wear over my armored jacket, or go the next size up to Extra Large?

- Wolf

john grinsel

• View Profile
Re: Rain Gear
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 12:27:29 PM »
Buy it to fit over anything you wear that is not waterproof.  Also professional quality.  In addition to my Aerostich Darien pants and jacket, I like Joe Rocket rain pants and jacket---they last and are handy as extra layer when it suddenly gets cold.

Also non flapping.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 01:46:59 PM »
I forgot----rubber overshoes or waterproof boots also necessary---Wolverine makes boots that work---your feet stay dry in all day rain.   Gloves mitts---Aerostich makes some overmitts that work in all day rain....but pain to take on/off.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 02:34:14 PM »
Thanks John. I'm considering this set in Hi-Voz colors - https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nelson-rigg-stormrider-rain-suit

Should I order a Large, will I need XL to fit over my riding jacket?

- Wolf

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 03:31:59 PM »
XL----you can always send it back if too big.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 04:43:21 PM »
Sounds good, and thanks,

Lowell

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
I like Frogg Toggs
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 07:49:59 PM »
Have used them for years.
If you plan to wear over other gear, buy one size larger.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 09:20:37 PM »
I think Frogg  togs are for Gold Wing Rider in white tennis shoes----don't they flapp.   I think investing in rain gear should be the kind that works for several days in a row, not just showers----all rain gear should be bright/reflective colors, too.

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 12:44:56 AM »
All gear is waterproof - for a limited time. Some are better than others. It's actually hard to know until you've worn it and ridden in it in rain or a storm. By then it's too late to get a refund.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 03:41:50 AM »
I will chime in here with a light nylon mountaineer two-piece rain suit bought 10 years ago. Top and bottom go into two mesh stuff bags actually quite easily. Black pants, not really visible but the red jacket stands out better. Day-glow puke yellow chrome greenish high viz top and bottom would have been best but did not exist then. John makes an excellent point about flapping or better, the lack of flapping. Any response to the wind deteriorates any water resistance and eventually fatigues and frays any fabric. Suit still works and worth the hunnert bucks paid.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 12:18:52 PM »
I think Frogg  togs are for Gold Wing Rider in white tennis shoes----don't they flapp.   I think investing in rain gear should be the kind that works for several days in a row, not just showers----all rain gear should be bright/reflective colors, too.

You are wrong. Bet my bottom dollar, truth be known, you have never owned a pair.
They are reasonably priced, breathable, wear well, and they work good.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 12:21:07 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 12:47:05 PM »
I'm considering ordering/purchasing some rain gear. I wear a large armored riding jacket. Should I order a rain jacket that is also a Large to wear over my armored jacket, or go the next size up to Extra Large?

- Wolf
I have always purchased rain gear large enough to fit over every article of clothing I might wear in the coldest temps I might experience.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 12:57:41 PM »
Frogg togs----not real professional quality....and there is the flapping problem  and color....last time I looked they were black. 

I rode in Germany over 20 years----rain and crappy weather most of the time----my needs are professional quality, all day dry and warm....and rubber boots or waterproof Wolverine boots.   In Asia, too, it rains a lot, rode over 20 years there.

Recent trip to James Bay road in Quebec, it rained 3-5 days as I remember----Darien Jacket and pants=all day dry comfort.   Any rain gear you need to protect from water running down your neck.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 01:57:33 PM »
I have owned a lot of different rain suits in the 39 years I have been riding.  Pretty much all of the rain pants have sprung leaks in the crotch over time.......except my Frogg Togs.   Overall the Frogg Togs are the best overall rain jacket and pants I have owned.  They don't leak.  They breath better than any other rainsuit I have tried.  I have had no issues with flapping at speed.  I bought a set a few years ago and they have held up well.

Negatives?  They don't pack up as small as most other rain suits.  If you are tall the pants tend to ride up and uncover the tops of my boots unless I wear really tall boots. 

Not all Frogg togs are the same.  You need to buy the ones specifically made for motorcycles.  They are made of a more heavy duty material.  They aren't all black.  My jacket is a lime green/yellow with reflective piping.  I got mine at Cycle Gear and it wasn't very expensive although I don't remember the exact price.  I think it was 50 bucks for the jacket and 20 or 30 for the pants.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 03:08:11 PM »
Do they flap?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()