Author Topic: Rain Gear  (Read 1064 times)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Rain Gear
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 04:26:52 PM »
Do they flap?

I don't remember mine flapping enough to notice.  Keep in mind that almost any rainsuit will flap if it's loose enough on you.  Except for my Majesty none of my bikes have a very big windshield.  I have had issues with one of my mesh jackets flapping at speed on my Versys.

My Frogg Tog Jacket is thicker and stiffer than almost all of the other rain jackets I have owned.  I have an older Frogg Tog jacket that I used a lot at work.  It got rolled up and unrolled a lot.  The material of that jacket loosened up a lot and it would probably flap if I wore it for riding.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2019, 01:59:11 PM »
Had some nice gear but in later years have ridden in ex-council "bin man" overalls - never had something quite so waterproof...
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2019, 02:39:29 PM »
Add to rain gear----best, but you get a little dirty/greasy   English Belstaff or Barbour----Barbour fits my upper body better with feather jacket under.   Your stay dry for at least 8 hours in heavy rain/snow.  Material seems to soak up water....they stand up at end of day-----as most of these 2 piece suits are black----reflective vest worn over=safest.

Aerostich now makes some waxed cotton stuff, too.  Colors available.   Their overmitts work as good as any thing on market.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2019, 07:05:29 PM »
Wear my Frogg Tog pants over my armored jeans in the winter. Keeps my legs from getting cold on my sunrise rides.
7 years, still holding up.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

nm_ryder

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2019, 06:43:31 PM »
Another vote for Frogg Toggs.  My jacket is florescent green and is the most visible piece of gear I own.
I have not noticed them flapping appreciably.  But then I don't go much over 50-55 in the rain.

I always carry them.  They double as a wind-proof layer if the weather gets too cool.
Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2019, 09:05:35 PM »
Judging from the rain wear comments here, non of the commenters have ever ridden everyday, big miles in horrible weather conditions.  Rubber boots also nice,too, even with scooter.  Am I right?

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2019, 09:29:26 PM »
Judging from the rain wear comments here, non of the commenters have ever ridden everyday, big miles in horrible weather conditions.  Rubber boots also nice,too, even with scooter.  Am I right?
I keep a rain suit in my tankbag, along with oversize rubber gloves.  For trips I throw in rubber boots that fold pretty flat.  This has worked for weekend trips in the Midwest and day after day rain conditions in Alaska.     

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 01:36:26 PM »
Maybe my last on raingear-----scooter/bike I always carry light duty rain gear...in case, right now Tourmaster jacket and Joe Rocket pants(they are 15 years old and on last legs)  So plan on buying new Joe Rocket and pants.  I like the Joe Rocket jackets as they really work well in real cold weather with feather jacket under (Warmer than my Darien jacket with same feather jacket under.)

Rubber boots--Tingley (expensive) but last more than 10 years---Lemon Pledge sprayed on in side makes then easy to slide on

Waterproof boots---I have had real good luck with Wolverine Waterproof Wellingtons---2 pr worn out and about to order 3rd.  Feet stay dry all day, motorcycle or scooter.

But if I am taking long/serious trip like Alaska or Quebec, I try to start out in Darien pants and jacket, waterproof boots so I don't have to stop when it starts to rain. Only long underwear under the pants seems to work for me.

Gloves---I usually travel with 3-4 pair of gloves and change out as they get wet/cold.  I find Aerostich overmitts handy for all day riding in bad weather----WalMart ski gloves under in real cold.

I have bolted on Laminar Lip on my 2019 XTown windshield---works ok with 3/4 Helmet and safety glasses, I carry both sun and clear.

64 years of doing this and over 1.5 million miles---I like to be warm/dry and comfortable.  Foam ear plugs really work!  My hearing in still here.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2019, 07:59:43 PM »

I try to avoid riding in nasty weather but have done it numerous times.  I've ridden in  rain, snow and even sleet.  I've ridden in temps in the teens and up to over 100.  Big miles?  I used to do it I am not really into high mileage days anymore.  I seldom ride much over over 300 miles a day anymore. 

Rubber boots?  Never liked them.  I just wear waterproof boots.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 08:03:34 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

gctkaz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2019, 09:18:05 PM »
I don't own rain gear, and I have ridden in absolute downpours before.

I own a textile armoured jacket and textile armoured pants, and I own waterproof boots. What I find works very well for me, is to spray my riding gear with two coats of Kiwi Camp Dry once or twice a year. Water rolls right off of it like a duck, yet unlike a duck there is no flapping. Inexpensive, and convenient for daily riding as far as not having to carry a separate set of rain gear.

On the scooter, it holds water well enough that I can get a big pool of water collecting in the crotch area, that I can just pour out by standing up.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2019, 09:36:27 PM »
I have some waterproof textile gear.  When I'm wearing that I don't bring a rain suit.  In warmer weather I wear mesh gear and I do bring along rain gear.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()