Author Topic: winter rideing  (Read 14430 times)

Rianna

• View Profile
Re: winter rideing
« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2010, 11:53:10 PM »
Sorry to hear it, blue. I hope all that snow melts and it warms up really fast so ya don't need no more salt. :)

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2010, 11:54:11 PM »
Thanks Rianna,

I am happy to have made it through too.  Wasn't really difficult to handle the scoot in it, just took it slow and steady.

Still, wasn't a good decision to ride on my part.  

Not worth busting my a$$ or scooter...

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 17, 2010, 12:17:18 AM »
True. I should have stayed home today myself. I reckon sometimes we just do what we gotta do...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 17, 2010, 02:56:02 AM »
[ I reckon sometimes we just do what we gotta do...
[/quote]
x 2 gota get to work some how.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 17, 2010, 03:21:01 AM »
I know it.

Don't worry, blue.

Tough times don't last...Tough people do. ;)

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 17, 2010, 03:28:02 AM »
There's the attitude to have!

That's what keeps me getting on that scoot when it's 15 degrees out.  Besides, it only, 89 days to spring right?

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 17, 2010, 03:31:31 AM »
There ya go! Bring on the positive attitude...and let that Countdown begin! ;D

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 17, 2010, 10:41:39 AM »
-10 C this morning.
Nice cosy scooting to work.  ;D ;)
Weather forecast is snow storm that is about to begin now...

Btw. I think I will start a small project to make snow chains for People because I need them 3-4 days/year.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 17, 2010, 11:24:06 PM »
-10 C! YIKES!! :o

I don't know how you do it, axy. I probably wouldn't make it a couple of blocks. :D You must be TOUGH!

I'm glad it's only 3-4 days a year for ya. :)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2010, 01:29:53 AM »
-10 C this morning.
Nice cosy scooting to work.  ;D ;)
Weather forecast is snow storm that is about to begin now...

Btw. I think I will start a small project to make snow chains for People because I need them 3-4 days/year.
   lol that remines me I made chaines out of a hard rubber robe ounce just wrap it in and around the tires and tied it off it lasted about 2 monthes befor it broke free. a good strong rope works too.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2010, 01:46:46 AM »
Ha! That's it...you are blue McGuyver now! :D

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 18, 2010, 02:39:36 AM »
lol that theam song is my ring tone. Love that show.

greagle

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2010, 07:27:16 AM »
Thanks for everyone sharing their winter riding threads.  I haven't posted much, but after riding through hit and miss slick spots tonight, I was looking to see what others do.  I did pass a scoot here on my way home and I waved, but I know we were both white knuckled.

I do agree with what others say when the people in cars are beside you, that you are either stupid crazy or are braver than them.  I don't have allot of options, so it is a mix of both.  This is my second winter on the Scoot and I have wised up allot. 

Here is a tip ... for those with full face helmets.  Using some cheap shaving cream, wipe it on your pull down visor and wipe it off to clear.  It will not fog up, however, if you leave your helmet in the 'trunk' in the cold, and it has time crystallize, then you are back to square one.

For work, I wipe it on about once every other day, my helmet stays in my trunk at work and I ride home almost full up, but the drive In is allot easier.  I guess I could take it in with me, but I don't for some reason.

Layering - I learned last year's winter (my first winter) - the best layering (for me) is two zip up hoodies, with a wind breaker.  The wind breaker is key.  I have less than 3/4" from me and the elements, but I never go cold.  Fingertips and knees get cold before upper body - which is for Gloves and Thermals.  Also under my helmet, I have a double layered ski mask.  Make sure to tuck that into the windbreaker to cover the front neck. 

Knock on wood for me, I have not laid down the scoot one time and have rode it everyday for almost 2 years.  Last year, though inexperienced as I was ended up in some awkward situations.  I describe it as riding a 10 speed bike across a frozen lake.  Today, I am looking 100 yards down the road at any given time.  At night, and I know you guys know, you rely on reflections of light on the road to determine if what you are coming up to is a frozen or slick part or just water.  So hard to determine that, so we slow down and be safer than sorry.

Also, I noticed with my Agility 50 is that you should start it everyday, even if you don't ride it.  When a first snow hits (this year), I go ahead and take the bus, because it is an option and I wait out the snow plows and salt trucks, but I still start it everyday and way until it idles.  This has worked for me in the sub-zero temperature to ensure it starts when I want it to.  Some days is a manual though.

I don't have a shed or garage to put mine in either, so make sure you have a cover for it.  Last year, I had allot of problems with water in the throttle handlebar and it was frozen.  I cover that more than anything. 

Thanks
ttys

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2010, 12:44:42 PM »
lot of good tips there I keep my scoot in a well coverd shed that I put a foam floor in just to help keep things worm and I keep a 100 watt light bulb next to works great just the right temp for easy starting.
I let run for about 20 min befor takeing off to work and just go slow and easy and stay farther away from cars as I can all ways leaving space for a longer stop.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 23, 2010, 03:20:59 PM »
lot of good tips there I keep my scoot in a well coverd shed that I put a foam floor in just to help keep things worm and I keep a 100 watt light bulb next to works great just the right temp for easy starting.
I let run for about 20 min befor takeing off to work and just go slow and easy and stay farther away from cars as I can all ways leaving space for a longer stop.

I understand that you have good intentions, but none of the above is necessary, especially not 20 min warm up in place.
I ride throughout the year, and keep the bikes outside (however, it rarely goes below freezing point here, maybe 30 days in a year).

p.s. Do you sing to it before it goes to sleep? :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()