Author Topic: winter rideing  (Read 14445 times)

oswaldters

• View Profile
Re: winter rideing
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2010, 02:14:28 AM »
Yes, that's the way it goes.

I was rushing out this morning and got the scoot all warmed up and then the wife was taking the kids to school and noticed a flat tire on minivan...

Thankfully, once I got that all straightened and got on the subway, the train went down and we all got stuck there   :(

TGIF!

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2010, 02:22:23 AM »
TGIF!

I know that's right.

Wow...snow on the roads, flat tire, stuck train...sounds like you had a rough go of it this morning!

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2010, 02:25:35 AM »
The cold doesn't seem to help anything work right.

I know there have been many water main breaks in the area due to the cold temps so I'm just glad none of the roads I use were closed.

BlueScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2010, 03:45:54 AM »
I have a pair of heated gloves wired to the battery, and a first gear one piece suit. I also have a Cuppini windscreen that makes a huge difference.

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2010, 03:52:08 AM »
I have thought about the windscreen option as well.

I like the shorter touring version rather than the standard style which probably would provide less protection from the wind.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »
been there done that. if your scoot is jeted just right you should beable to just start it right
up. My other scoot I have to heat up the shed if it under 20 out side then it well start right up.

codger78

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2010, 01:06:25 AM »
I wonder how wrapping a tarp or an old cargo blanket around the engine area with a 100 watt light bulb underneath, and maybe a timer as well, would work out.  That's sort of what we did with the old (1930's) type cars in the winter.  Of course you should locate the lamp so as to protect it from fuel or oil drippings or anything else that might start a fire......might be cheaper than heating the whole shed or garage.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 01:08:39 AM by codger78 »
borrowed dust

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2010, 01:09:41 AM »
or maybe a radiant heater of some type. 

As long as you don't melt any plastic parts!

codger78

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2010, 01:53:46 AM »
Oswaldters...Check out www.heeters.com/pa.shtml.  I installed the touring, 17 1/2" high (#KY-4326) $139.95 (fits Kymco, Agility 50, 2009 etc.)two years ago.......mounted securely with a short piece of that black foam tubing used to insulate water pipes... on to the front bottom of the wind shield where it lays against the scooter to keep it from the slight rattling vibration produced by the road bumps and pot holes.
It comes with good solid hardware to clamp it down.....Had it for 2 years and 3000 miles with no problems with shifting or loosening.....I use the more open type helmet with the face mask, and most of the wind is deflected by the mask and the shield.
........I had tried another one earlier,  but the hardware was too skimpy and after one or two bumps it needed more tightening.....this one is really worth the money.
borrowed dust

codger78

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2010, 01:58:04 AM »
The nice thing about a light bulb is that it produces just enough heat but won't melt any plastic parts....unless you lay it right on them.  I would use a shop lamp with a shield.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 02:00:00 AM by codger78 »
borrowed dust

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2010, 02:03:14 AM »
Thanks codger,

I have been looking at the Heeters site and wondering about those windscreens for a couple of years now.  I like the idea about the foam tubing, that makes good sense. Great to hear someone what actually tried that windscreen - I always wondered about how solid it was.

I recently switched to a full face helmet which in conjunction with the neck warmer keeps me much warmer on those cold rides.  But a windscreen still seems like a good idea (and will for the next few months as temperatures stay low).

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2010, 02:44:45 AM »
just wrap your scoot in a elec blanket.

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2010, 02:47:43 AM »
Well a heating pad would fit nicely on the engine....

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2010, 03:26:33 AM »
Yeah, seems like I remember doing that with an old car many years ago, can't say I really remember the reason why though.

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2010, 03:28:47 AM »
Sadly, I've reached the stage where I need the heating pad for me and the scoot will just have to do without.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()