Author Topic: Do Loud Pipes Save Lives?  (Read 7485 times)

art

• View Profile
Re: Do Loud Pipes Save Lives?
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2010, 12:53:32 AM »
  Ha! Would of made evil kanievel proud,just missed t-boneing the car and off the road I go.15 foot drop into a freshly plowed farmers field. Actually thought i was gonna save this thing till the supention callapsed a 150' later when i landed  I was running about 65 mph when it happend :o Pure luck Didn't ride the street for many years after that one.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2010, 12:54:44 AM »
..wow...reckon i wouldn't have either...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2010, 01:35:08 AM »
Ha! Would of made evil kanievel proud,just missed t-boneing the car and off the road I go.15 foot drop into a freshly plowed farmers field. Actually thought i was gonna save this thing till the supention callapsed a 150' later when  i landed I was running about 65 mph when it happend :o Pure luck Didn't ride the street for many years after that one.
                                 HOLY RIDE FROM HELL BATMAN!!..  :o  :-X    dam man, i believe i would have straight up RETIRED from riding.... i have lost SEVERAL friends, 1 g.friend, sh**s crazy out there..even worse to me being on a scooter instead of a full size.(1reason for the pipe, ;), but it has gotten louder by rejetting, not my doing. ;))...
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2010, 01:38:36 AM »
...yup..any fuel/air ratio increase will make it a bit louder...

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2010, 01:49:14 AM »
...yup..any fuel/air ratio increase will make it a bit louder...
                            OOPS!!... :o  ::)  ;D  ;)  .....guess that means i may end up being more irritating to ppl when i go thru. :D    at least they can hear me coming on my lil red devil.... 8)  ;)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2010, 01:50:50 AM »
..it turns heads...nuff said!!

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2010, 02:10:40 AM »
as emeral would say:.......BAM!... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2010, 02:33:34 AM »
On the logic of the point in question, I'd have to say yes, loud pipes do save lives.  I've heard many a loud bike coming up behind, and approaching from all angles. I'm sure it makes drivers aware there's a bike nearby and they look for it.  Some drivers, anyway.  That's got to be a good thing. 

My accident in which I lost my leg happened cause the driver just didn't know I was there. That, and because she was somewhat senile, I think.

That being said, I like a quiet ride.  Tried the straight, loud pipe when I was a teenager trying to be macho and had enough of it after a couple months. 

Now, THAT being said, after a few close calls recently, I'm thinking half seriously about opening up my muffler some just for the awareness factor.     

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2010, 02:38:16 AM »
..just go ahead and put th k&n on it it...lol..

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2010, 02:49:18 AM »
Do you think a good strong horn would be as good, maintaining your personal comfort as well?
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2010, 03:46:07 AM »
 Like I said I've had to yell through there open window to say HAY!!! I'm here  ::) A Loud horn will do also but for me it's also haveing a bike capable of getting out of the way quik also if needed,got to use every thing at hand some days  ;) Thats why i rode the dirt only for a long time. Can't controll what someone on a cellphone is doing or thinking at all  :D
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2010, 02:34:25 PM »
OK, a louder pipe can make a difference on a 50cc, it DOES makes a PERFORMANCE difference on any two stroke engine.

On a larger 4 stroke, like my P250, it makes a minor performance difference and I hate the sound it makes.  I know what straight pipes sound like on a P250.  I rode almost 800 miles with a broken down pipe.  It was loud as hell.  I had to wear ear plugs to go from here to the mail box.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2010, 03:12:32 PM »
I wonder if the problem is sound. Irritating people to the point that riders have a bad reputation for being inconsiderate and a pain to have on the road is a big price to pay for what may or may not work for added safety. Instead of higher volume I wonder if it's possible to create just a unique (and lower) sound that signals to cagers, and pedestrians that a cyclist/scooter is approaching.

I'd rather place my faith in my skills, then allow them to wan a little because I'm dependent on loud pipes. People may hear you coming, but can you hear the warning horn of a truck that's come into your path from the left, after rushing a yellow-to-red light?

Having good skills has no public cost.

I think Loud pipes do.

A few weeks ago our neighbors who are moving had an open house. I had parked my scooter on the walk way in front of our home. My wife observed from our kitchen window a woman walk over to the neighbors home, stop, then walk back to her car and leave. She didn't know why she left, but she thought it may have been because she saw my Yager (thinking it was a motorcycle) and decided she didn't want to live next to a 'biker'.

I moved my scooter to the garage after that.

There's no way of knowing why the woman left, but if you play the 'what if' game, you can see how a negative rep assigned to riders can affect other things.

-Wolf

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2010, 08:34:25 PM »
Sorry, but I dont think scooters are that intimidating. Maybe she saw a cat, some people are allergic to them.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

mrrmutt

• People 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2010, 08:44:50 PM »
Sorry, but I dont think scooters are that intimidating. Maybe she saw a cat, some people are allergic to them.

LOL :D
www.scootswla.wordpress.com  --   cause every scooterist needs a scooter blog

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()