Author Topic: variator J.Costa PRO for Kymco Downtown 300i ABS  (Read 1299 times)

john grinsel

• View Profile
Re: variator J.Costa PRO for Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 04:00:28 PM »
Why spend your money?  Scooter in stock form just fine----want more performance=get different/bigger bike or scooter....probably cheaper in the long run and maybe more reliable.

KymcoRockr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 02:05:17 PM »
Why spend your money?  Scooter in stock form just fine----want more performance=get different/bigger bike or scooter....probably cheaper in the long run and maybe more reliable.
Thanks for sharing this same sentiment every time someone asks about performance parts.

Personally, I know a lot of people who have used the J Costa variator on a lot of different bikes. The best review I heard, from a friend who has done a lot of engines and scooter builds over the years is that it's great until it isn't. When he first put it in a Vespa S150, he told me it was the best variator ever made. When it came apart and ate the teeth on the crankshaft, he didn't like it anymore. This seems to be a common sentiment among J Costa users.
The "I installed the part and rode it around the block and it's great," reviews on the internet are not the best determination of how well something really does.
If only there was a company that made performance parts and had direct experience racing the Kymco Downtown....
Any prominent companies come up when you google Kymco Downtown Racing?
Been riding for a very long time.
AK550
Yager 200

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 11:01:07 PM »
I installed 13 gram rollers (stock is 15.5) and gained a lot of acceleration from stop with no noticeable loss of top speed (88mph indicated). Total cost: $25.  Maybe I'm losing some mpg, but it's well worth it to get out in front of, and away from, the cages.
2009 GV 250

diverhap

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 08:41:41 AM »

Everyday there is a new tech. and I always looking and watching what is new and if it is suitable for my scooter or not
I am not looking or searching to give more power or else
why not to know what is new in the market

An Orange Crush

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 11:50:47 PM »

Why spend your money,  well lets have a look~
Get a different bike or bigger scooter =at least 12 grand for anything good, BUT that off the line "snap" and the 0-60mph wont really be there on the bigger scooters- not even the coveted Burgman 650- all you get is a higher top end.
(illegal anyways and boring after 5 miles but it`ll be very comfortable as you wait for the 200+ dollar ticket to be written)

Get some mods for current bike DT300 = maybe a few hundred bucks and your 0-60 "snap" is now better than any stock scooter on the road.
MY calculator says, you arent a very good accountant.
2011 DT300i
2009 SYM HD200 (sold)
2009 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i
2023 Kymco AK550
A couple really nice shiny helmets

"I`m a man, but I can change. If I have to.
.....I guess....."

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()