Author Topic: Halogen Headlight  (Read 2701 times)

oswaldters

• View Profile
Halogen Headlight
« on: September 14, 2010, 06:10:43 PM »
I recently switched to a halogen headlight bulb to try and improve the less than spectacular illumination provided by the OEM headlight bulb.  I use a 12v 35w halogen bulb - same wattage as the OEM 12v 35w incandescent bulb.

It does provide extra light which is helpful for my rides home in the dark.  However, I have heard various anecdotes about the heat from the halogen bulb being a problem.  Everything from melting the reflector to melting the bulb socket.

Anyone else switch to a halogen bulb?  I would like to know if these stories are true before I run into trouble with my scoot.  So far I don't see any problems with my reflector or bulb socket.

blue

• View Profile
Re: Halogen Headlight
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 07:32:24 PM »
o no take it out dud  take it out you well have a proplem I did that in one of my other scoots
and im sorry i did.just use what you should use.go with extra flood lights down by your front tire.

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 11:26:01 PM »
Thanks for the warning Blue.

Was it an issue with the heat put out by the bulb?

I've been using it for about a month and haven't had any issues yet, but I certainly want to avoid messing anything up.

Can't take another 3 week wait for parts from Stadium Yamaha.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 11:30:46 PM »
..if u been running it that long, it's found a home...lol..
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 11:32:39 PM »
The heat produced is determined by the wattage. 35 watts is 35 watts no matter what bulb you're using. And the current draw will be the same with 12v.

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 11:33:44 PM »
You know, I really only ride at night during the fall and winter when it is dark by time I leave work.  I figure the temps are much cooler then so that should help mitigate down any heat issues.

So who knows, maybe I'll have a summer headlight and a winter headlight! :D

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 11:36:38 PM »
..like ABob said...it's all about the wattage...

..don't your headlamp burn all the time??

..it should...lol..

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 11:39:30 PM »
Yes, it is on all the time, but having a bulb that illuminates the road less doesn't matter when I'm driving during the day so I don't care about having a halogen bulb during the spring/summer months.

Of course, a brighter bulb probably makes me that much more visible on the scoot during daylight so that isn't a bad thing either.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 11:44:55 PM »
          !!SEE MEEE!!!

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 02:25:25 PM »
Today I finally replaced my headlight bulb with the  super white one I got from scooter assassins a couple months ago. It is a BA20D halogen globe 12 volt 35/35 watts as per the original globe so I don't expect any problems with heat or current draw. I do not know who the manufacturer is but I must say this is about as good as you could get for this wattage. The last halogen light I used was a Hella and was very lacklustre. Tonight coming home from work I was extremely impressed with the light given from this bulb. In the car park at work where it was semi lit I thought the beam was a little too focused, but once I got on to some of the darker roads I was surprised to see the spread, though I think this is more to do with the reflector than the bulb. It will not compare to car headlights or those of the other bikes running the H4 lights, but for a small scooter that it is I give it top marks. The only thing left now is to see how long it lasts, my last halogen one was very short lived, due, I think, to the bumps and vibrations.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 02:32:12 PM »
12 volt 35/35 watts as per the original globe so I don't expect any problems with heat or current draw.

No, you won't have any problems.

I've been running the same thing for several months now - including on 100 degree days and heat has never been a problem with it.

Same with voltage issues - no issues there either.

Wish I would have switched to halogen a couple of years ago.

Hardly Davidson

• Yippee Kyyay...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 03:28:54 PM »
The only thing to watch with some halogens is that you don't handle them with a bare hand, apparently the oil from your skin is transferred and causes a hot spot which can make the bulb blow out quicker. *shrugs* just what I've heard. Another thing to consider is legality, here in the uk, certain bulbs are not legal for road use only for show use as they give out 'blue light' rather than pure white, if you are in an accident and this is picked up, you may get nothing as the machine is not in 'standard trim'. English laws suck..

Hardly

Punk052

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 04:08:01 PM »
I have run a 55/65 watt halogen bulb in my people for a year with no issues. massive improvement over the stock bulb.

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 01:13:39 PM »
I have run a 55/65 watt halogen bulb in my people for a year with no issues. massive improvement over the stock bulb.
                                                i would figure that high of wattage, the stator would be affected...hmmm.. ueah, time will be changing soon...i MUST change my headlight SOON. i was thinking of pulling shakas trick and use a super white car bulb.. ;D  am going to swing by parts house i eyeball some lights..
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

KymcoZx50FLOwner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 05:19:30 PM »
I put halos in my kymco zx50 about a week ago and theyve been running just fine, no extra heat yet for me.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()