Author Topic: 2009 S 9 restrictions  (Read 5563 times)

scoot12

• View Profile
2009 S 9 restrictions
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:34:24 AM »
Hello everyone.  I just bought a 2009 S 9  50 AC.  Have read a lot about earlier year models on this forum.  Does anyone know what the restrictions are on the 2009s?  Thanks.

art

• View Profile
Re: 2009 S 9 restrictions
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 04:05:33 AM »
 Hey 12 welcome to the forum, I havn't seen one up close but believe it's close to the people 50 2t. Got any pics. Cdi and pipe will help. Cheers!
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

yogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 06:25:05 AM »
Hey 12, there's also a restrictor in the Boss in the variator, normally it comes with a "shank" on it too stop full travel on the shaft.

One way of removing the shank is to get an engineering company too lathe it off or buy one already done, I'm sure the guys on here can advise where to get them from this side of the water  ;)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 12:47:24 AM »
..if it has a drive boss restriction, y' gotta get rid of it..

..reckon some pics , descriptions etc  of the cdi and wiring into it would help too...

..i believe there is a air intake limiter, in the oem airbox, where the tubing leads toward your carburetor...

..some have it, some don't...

..above all that, there are some mods you can do to make that a really decent running scoot!!

..Welcome to th' Forim!!

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

scoot12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 11:27:29 PM »
Thanks everyone for the tips.  I am still breaking in the scoot, so I haven't been in a hurry to check out the boss drive and the cdi.  I want to get at it soon, however.  This is my second scooter.  The first was a Zongshen Metro 50.  I put 4000 miles on it in two years without a single problem.  It was pretty good for a mainland Chinese scooter.  The Kymco is vastly superior.  I'm glad to have it. 

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 01:26:57 AM »
I put 4000 miles on it in two years without a single problem.  It was pretty good for a mainland Chinese scooter.

..wow...yup!!!

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 02:43:06 PM »
I love this forum. It gave me the guts to know I could fix a scoot if needed as I am too poor to afford the guy at the dealership. Bought a S9 AC with 500 km and with advice from you guys have already changed the boss restrictor out with one from ScooterTherapy. 34 bucks and instantly 10 mph faster. Slinger I think said there is an airbox obstruction that can be removed. If so, what would it look like? Would I need to adjust carb (which I don't know much about)? Are the stock rollers ok? Seems that there are pick-up gaps like when making a turn and accelerating out of it. Is the key just keeping the rpm's up through the turn? I have very little riding experience so this is all new to me. But there are moments when this bike just flies which makes me think I am not riding it correctly. thanks guys hope I am not getting away from the original thread too much.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 02:21:39 AM »
Slinger I think said there is an airbox obstruction that can be removed.

..it would be retween the airbox and the carburetor's intake side...

..probably a smaller I.D. than the actual opening it fits in...

..that s9 is an awesome scoot, even AC..

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 06:44:58 PM »
thanks word. I will open it up and if it is in there would I need to modify carb settings? if so maybe I will bone up on carbs first to save some time. the only thing I don't like on this bike so far is the lame lighting set-up. no high beam is dangerous imo. will look into a mod on that one soon. thanks again.

If I just ran without the airbox for a test run to see if the airbox is restricted would i be able to tell if the carb was performing ok? not for long but just a mile or so. that might tell me enough. maybe just tie an old nylon around the carb air inlet to filter a little to keep the big debris out.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 10:13:26 PM »
G'day sparko, if you get a dimmer switch, a couple feet of wire, some blue and some white, about 6 2.8mm female spade connectors and some 6.4mm spade connectors you can use your high beam. I did a how to on this with my ZX50. I think it is in the tech section.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 03:16:29 AM »
thank you mr. sloth. I am opening up my airbox now and looking for trouble (restrictor). the lights can wait but I think I get the idea on how to add a dimmer switch. I found the thread in the tech area. so much to learn. Now I have to get back to my delayed since April taxes. no one on this forum can help with that.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 03:28:51 AM »
No thanks mate, I am paying enough tax now, thanks all the same. If you ride at night, you will appreciate the high beam. Even though it is not bright, it is better.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 05:59:12 AM »
  Become a politition they don't seem to need to pay  ;)  I'm in the same boat that ext. is running out! Damn thanks for reminding me  :D 
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 12:38:04 AM »
thank you mr. sloth

..lol...i like that..."Mr. Sloth"....

If I just ran without the airbox for a test run to see if the airbox is restricted would i be able to tell if the carb was performing ok

..running WITHOUT the airbox WILL make your scoot run lean...

..removing a airbox restriction probably won't hurt your scoot..running very lean might burn a piston...

sparko

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 05:52:27 AM »
I opened up the airbox and no impediments as far as I could see. thought better of running with unrestricted non-filtered air so maybe I will try to put the light dimmer switch together. taxes came out ok. even got  a few bucks back from our bankrupt government. should be enough to pay for the wiring. maybe new tires too. stimulus money. or save it for the People 250s  purchase if the dealer is still in business. my dogs gonna hate me. I hope Scoot 12 is making good progress on his S9. The boss replacement was enough to transform my bike into a real monster. can't wait to make the CDI work properly. Damn, what a great bike. ugly as hell but a great bike.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()