Author Topic: Tires and Chicken Strips  (Read 2823 times)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Tires and Chicken Strips
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2019, 01:10:15 PM »
Watched a big bike following a Honda Forza 300 at "sporty" speed through lovely UK countryside.
All was well for miles until ONE bend had gravel.....
Do not agree that scooter, or bike, will let you know permissable lean angles. Road surface will.
If you've reconned the route that day by car, or slow speeds on bike, then there's a good chance nothing is waiting to take you down in a corner.
Visit your local facility for Track Day on a closed circuit if you want to see what'll scrape on your bike.
I've read that most scooter and motorcycle crashes are "single vehicle" events. Just the rider and his bike.
Stig

I rode a bunch of curvy roads yesterday.  A number of the curves had gravel in them.   I didn't crash.  With enough experience you can get a pretty good feel for which curves might have gravel on them.  I was not caught by surprise by gravel in any curves.  On top of that I keep my eyes open.  When I see gravel in a curve I take the curve a bit slower.  Most of the time you can pick a line that avoids the gravel.  Typically gravel tends to be between tracks made by car tires. 

The roads around me tend to be "dirtier" than the roads up in W. NC, N. GA, and far E TN so I ride accordingly. 

Another thing.  Some roads just have better traction than others.  The roads in Ohio for example just aren't as grippy as many of the roads in the SE.  It has something to do with what the road is paved with.  Reading the road surface is another thing that comes with experience.

I have scraped stuff in curves on almost every bike I have owned.  I am slowing down a bit as I get older but I doubt that the sport bike rider in me will ever completely disappear. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 01:25:27 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2019, 03:33:18 PM »
Watched a big bike following a Honda Forza 300 at "sporty" speed through lovely UK countryside.
All was well for miles until ONE bend had gravel.....
Do not agree that scooter, or bike, will let you know permissable lean angles. Road surface will.
If you've reconned the route that day by car, or slow speeds on bike, then there's a good chance nothing is waiting to take you down in a corner.
Visit your local facility for Track Day on a closed circuit if you want to see what'll scrape on your bike.
I've read that most scooter and motorcycle crashes are "single vehicle" events. Just the rider and his bike.
Stig
Sound advice there Stig, but most of us will push it in the twisties because that's where the sheer enjoyment in motorcycling is to be found!  I know this is a trade off between forward vision (always look as far into the bend as you can searching out the vanishing point and watching for changes to surface, potholes, overbanding etc.), positioning to gain best line of sight, speed and the right gear should anything go wrong.   In the past when teaching advanced riding techniques, I always used to tell folks that a rider's best attribute is their imagination.  Just think, what could conceivably go wrong here and then plan for it!

Keep it shiny side up!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2019, 09:19:53 PM »
Sound advice there Stig, but most of us will push it in the twisties because that's where the sheer enjoyment in motorcycling is to be found!  I know this is a trade off between forward vision (always look as far into the bend as you can searching out the vanishing point and watching for changes to surface, potholes, overbanding etc.), positioning to gain best line of sight, speed and the right gear should anything go wrong.   In the past when teaching advanced riding techniques, I always used to tell folks that a rider's best attribute is their imagination.  Just think, what could conceivably go wrong here and then plan for it!

Keep it shiny side up!

You are THE first person I've ever heard use my expression. ..."imagination"... when it comes to road use. Especially two wheel riding.
Absolutely. ...."if I speed 20mph over the speed limit on this city street packed with parked cars..
what could happen? "
I've so often wished those kids, blasting through the gears hunched over that sport bike on that busy street, would use a little imagination!
I posted here, somewhere,  that I've had a good imagination since I first threw a leg over a Honda in 1967 in Los Angeles.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2019, 09:54:34 PM »
OK - my conscience is bothering me here -
So, I did not start riding with imagination THE first time on a Honda - but by-dam I sure did - after Bill and I went a little wide that afternoon in the San Gabriel mountains - and went over the cliff side *- painting the valley, the bike and ourselves with the three 1 gal cans of cheap house paint we were carrying. You ever have to ride your buddy to the ER on a motorcycle with bare feet?! Shoes went who knows where - he had one remaining, but it was the right foot and too small.
But....after that! - the imagination thing kicked in 100%

Stig
* oncoming car on our side of the road - and we were a little too close to the center as well.

PS: My daughter asked: "why a detour through the mountains carrying 3 cans of paint?"
Sun was out & it seemed like a good idea at the time..?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 09:57:58 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2019, 12:21:52 AM »
I use the term observational deduction, but I’d say it’s the same thing as imagination. When I’m riding and I come upon a situation, like a professional yard crewing cutting a lawn and landscaping off to the side of the road, I try to deduce what kind of potential problem I could run into. For example, grass clippings on the road, gas or oil spills, or if I’m banking a curve, or passing a large cargo truck will there be a tractor in the road, or will it be making a U-turn from road and back to lawn all the while clueless that I’m coming around the curve.

I think these kind of scenario Algorithms is what may make riders have sharper brains than most drivers. 

I tend look at a rider’s/driver’s use of their brakes as an indication of their skills, or operating comfort. On curves, riding down hill, or taking corners how much, or how heavily they apply their brakes tends to tell me if they’re comfortable with the natural momentum of their vehicle/bike, or they may not realize that rolling off the throttle or easing off the accelerator can do the same as applying the brakes if they need a reduction in speed. In some situations this isn’t possible if you’re in heavy traffic and you want the vehicle behind you to know you’re slowing down to avoid being rear-ended. But a heavy use of the brakes (indicated by the sight of their brake lights) tends to tell me of their driving skill level.

- Wolf

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2019, 06:53:03 AM »
Wolf, I agree 100% with your comments regarding brakes. It tells you so much about the skill and experience levels of riders.

Over here in the UK Police motorcyclists will often offer observed ride outs to riders as part of an organised effort to reduce biking casualties. Always worth subscribing as the skills they pass on can literally be life-saving!  One such day (decades ago) first introduced me to the importance of correct road positioning and probably helped me avoid a painful self-learned lesson down the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2019, 11:40:41 AM »
I am the original poster for this thread and a recent graduate of California's Motorcycle Safety Program (CMSP). I must admit that most of the points brought up in this thread were discussed in class and on the range, so you guys are like instructors, but with better stories and stronger opinions. By the way, in CA, 29% of motorcycle accidents are single-rider and occur during turning. As most of you can attest, most occur at intersections.

Yet, for other new riders like me, when it comes to "chicken strips," I am going to ignore them put my safety ahead of my tire wear (read pride).
2018 Kymco Like 200i (matte black)

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2019, 12:02:33 PM »
Quite right too Dan!  As you gain in experience I'd be amazed if they don't narrow anyway  :)

I forget the exact figures for the UK, but here a large minority of motorcycle "offs" are single vehicle, as you say, either junctions (intersections) or bends (curves) for the latter, often where the skill / ability to lean further would have got the rider safely round the bend.  As ever it's a case of ride your own ride and ride within your limits.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2019, 02:04:50 PM »
If I had to give one piece of advice to a new rider it would be this.  Don't ever stop learning or trying to improve your riding skills.  I've been riding for 39 years and I have never stopped trying to improve my skills. 

I'm often amazed by people who have told me that they have been riding XX years but it's obvious that they can't ride for sh**.  Don't be that guy.  Everyone starts out with no experience.  Not everyone becomes a competent rider.  Taking the MSF is a good start.  Remember, it's just a start.

Oh yeah, don't forget to have fun!
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2019, 02:19:49 PM »
One of the ideas hammered in my thick skull during civilian flight training was "plan ahead" of the situation and the machine. This philosophy applies to a lot of things like anything that moves and you are the contoller. My biggest problem was planning for unseen and unpredictable conditions like changes in wind direction and speed. This was an extremely valuable concept and skill and it, too, applies to any machine you are controlling. Some folks "get" it right away and some have to work at it. Developed as a good skill, it remains to save you grief!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2019, 02:32:34 PM »
If I had to give one piece of advice to a new rider it would be this.  Don't ever stop learning or trying to improve your riding skills.  I've been riding for 39 years and I have never stopped trying to improve my skills. 

I'm often amazed by people who have told me that they have been riding XX years but it's obvious that they can't ride for sh**.  Don't be that guy.  Everyone starts out with no experience.  Not everyone becomes a competent rider.  Taking the MSF is a good start.  Remember, it's just a start.

Oh yeah, don't forget to have fun!
Totally agree. It's a wasted day when you don't learn anything.  My total is now 51 years riding bikes of all sizes and scooters which has given me unparalleled enjoyment laced with the odd bit of pain, but the one thing you never do is stop learning.  Enjoy the ride!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2019, 04:03:09 PM »
This is the same tire after about 12 total hours on the range at Safety training.

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2019, 04:06:11 PM »
And this is a GSP recording of my scooter on the range for about one hour of exercises.

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2019, 04:16:06 PM »
And for the record ... another member (dan v) provided the real definition of "chicken strip" in one of the responses above. My original post was inaccurate, I'm not sure what to call the little rubber hairs that stick out from our new tires ... maybe "chicken legs?"

As you ride and the tire wears, you will notice the area between where the rubber is worn from the center to the outside edge of the tire.  The "strip"from the worn and well used part of the tire to the unworn part toward the edge is the "chicken strip".

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2019, 06:02:51 PM »
They're referred to by the more prosaic, but almost as colorful, name "Vent Spews"
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/why-do-new-tires-have-rubber-hair-on-them

Don't worry about chicken strip width...Those tend to narrow over time as you get used to what the bike will do, & you become more confident in your skills.
Much better to have a wide strip & to be alive, uninjured and riding than a narrow strip on your wreck.

...I'm not sure what to call the little rubber hairs that stick out from our new tires ... maybe "chicken legs?"
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()