Author Topic: Agility 50 transmission question  (Read 2725 times)

parky151

• View Profile
Agility 50 transmission question
« on: July 09, 2008, 03:33:22 PM »
Just wanted to say hi, new member here.  Hope everyone is doing well.  I do have a question though, I was told that there is a spacer in the transmission of the Agility 50.  This spacer is used to keep the scooter from going any faster than 35-37 mph.  Well, I was wondering if this spacer could be removed.  If so, how easy is it?  Perhaps there are other ways to get it to go a little faster?  Most of the roads around where I live are 40 mph, and well let's just say that I am not staying up with the flow.  Any ideas or suggestions? 

Travis

• View Profile
    • Travis's Blog Site
Re: Agility 50 transmission question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 03:42:18 PM »
Actually I do believe they control the top speed with a rev limiter and it doesn't have anything to do with the transmission.  They use a "special" coilpack that actually shuts off the spark when it goes over a certian RPM to hold it to that speed.

They make kits that I've seen online to remove the speed limitation but that is going to make the engine rev higher and possibly damage it.

Also a FYI... Your speedometer is approx 5mph off and when you think you are going 35-37 you are really going 30-32 ...

Edit:  Also know that if you make changes to the scooter to make it go faster you should go get your motorcycle endorsement because they are limited per DOT regulations however if you have your endorsement you can do anything you want to it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 03:45:02 PM by Travis »
People S200, Modulating Headlights, Brake Flasher, LED Tail Lights,  Click Picture to see additional photos.

parky151

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 03:59:57 PM »
Thanks Travis! According to the speedometer i'm actually doing 42ish.  I know i'm only going 35-37 beacuse I went by one of those radar on the trailer things where your speed is displayed on the screen.  Anyways, I guess I am stuck where I am at then.  It's mine to use for free, so i'm not complaining by any means.  I was just wondering if there was a "quick fix."  I do have my motorcycle license (endorsement) so i'm good.  Thanks again with the info.  You've been very helpful.  :)

Travis

• View Profile
    • Travis's Blog Site
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 04:10:07 PM »
Funny story.....

I went down to the Florida Keys and rented a scooter while I was there.  I didn't happen to notice that the "main" speed was in KM/h so I was driving around going 25 and 35 KM/h thinking it was MPH.  LOL

Needless to say I was pretty embarassed when I figured out that it was KM/h
People S200, Modulating Headlights, Brake Flasher, LED Tail Lights,  Click Picture to see additional photos.

geezerbob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 07:06:40 AM »
The rev limiter is there primarily to keep the engine from self destructing.  There is indeed a spacer in the transmission which limits the speed of the scooter.  Any competent scooter mechanic can remove this spacer and, if necessary, insert the replacement piece which allows for a higher speed.
People 250
Cortech Sport Saddle and Tail Bags
Kuryakyn Grips
Givi E33 top box
Air Hawk seat cushion
34,000 km and counting

yajblackburn

• 2004 ZX50, 2000 People 50, 2002 Yup50
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 12:42:12 PM »
There is a restrictor on the variator.  I work at a local scooter rental place and they have 11 of the Kymco Agility.  Each one came with a little bag containing a derestricted boss drive and a new jet for the carburetor.  One day I was bored and decided to install the new derestricted boss drive and jet and got up to 45mph easily.  Maybe with the CDI mod, I can reach 47-50.....hopefully.

scootergrisen

• View Profile
    • scootergrisen
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 09:02:45 AM »
Its the best way to not only go faster but also use less fuel and the engine dossent got so hot because i will use less revolutions(rpm) after you remove it.

So IF you are going to do something with your scooter thats the number 1 thing to do.

Try looking at: http://mentos.wep.dk/scooterhjemmeside/begrensninger.html
He is talking about the ring on this picture: http://mentos.wep.dk/scooterhjemmeside/billeder/cvt014.jpg
On my scooter instead of a loose ring i had 1 piece of metal (left) and i had to buy a new varitor bush (right): http://mentos.wep.dk/scooterhjemmeside/billeder/cvt010.jpg

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()