Author Topic: Camera mount  (Read 663 times)

scootertherapy

• View Profile
Camera mount
« on: September 05, 2019, 03:00:55 AM »
Anyone find  better camera mount option than this? Actually, I'd like to put  dash cam on, but not sure that's doable. Found  this mount, but it seems pricey for just a mount. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scooter-Moped-Motorcycle-Camera-Mount-for-the-GO-Pro-Hero/141033241555?hash=item20d63c7bd3:g:Pn4AAOSwYXVcn38V

Found some pics of my old scooters on my laptop.

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Camera mount
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 11:38:33 AM »
To answer your question, a proven suction cup mount might be better for a scooter because you can move it if you don't like a location. I think quality is important for such a mount and $39.00 is a good ballpark starting price. Of course, a $39.00 mount should be well-reviewed.

Here's my story:

I bought a GoPro Hero 7 White and am looking at mounting options, too. I ride a 2018 Kymco Like 200i with less than 200 miles on the odometer.

I think the first question you have to ask is: What is the purpose of the mounted action camera?

And then your best mounting option is dependent on your answer.

After some youtube searches and exploring in this forum, I've concluded the following:

If you mount a camera for insurance liability purposes, the best mount is probably the GoPro Suction Cup mount and the best spot to place it is middle of the handle bars facing forward. Your goal is to use this video to prove liability (like an auto dash cam). I feel this is a noble reason to mount a camera and the jitters caused by the mount decrease the quality of the recording (it's called "jello" effect). I think it's good enough to use in court, if necessary. The audible recording is not important in this use case.

If you mount a camera for fun, or to record your adventure rides, and don't mind the "jello" effects, then I endorse the GoPro Suction Cup mount again because it gives you the most flexibility to move it to different locations on your scooter. Many of the members on this site suggest a video recording include a part of the scooter in the frame to provide context and perspective. The general consensus is that helmet mounts are fine, but don't capture the rider mechanics of an adventure. Some even challenge a recording from a helmet mount as "it could have been recorded from the hood of a car." If you are going to use these recordings for entertainment, then you must consider the importance of audio while riding.

If you intend to mount a camera for professional recordings (vlog, youtube, narration, etc.) then that's a different kettle of fish. In this use case, you must consider quality and quantity. I'm most entertained by motorcycle vlogs that give multiple camera angles, high-quality audio and detailed post production fades and sequencing.

For me, my use case is somewhere between dash cam and fun rides. I am going to test the default 3M sticky mounts in the center of my dashboard, but behind a tinted windscreen. I expect jittery video with "jello" effects. If I'm not happy with the quality of those recordings, then I'm going to explore the GoPro chest mount (new one). I liked the recordings that folks put on youtube. One guy even mounted a camera on his helmet and chest at the same time and uploaded a video of them side by side.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 12:45:01 PM by DanH »
2018 Kymco Like 200i (matte black)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 02:21:21 PM »
Pretty durn good words, Dan! I am no expert but that Gopro does pretty well at stabilizing the picture with a helmet mount UNTIL the head checks start making the viewer sick! I have seen some videos with simultaneous forward and aft screens that were free of that "jello" effect you outlined. How they did it, I have no clue!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 03:15:48 PM »
Thanks, Crossbolt.  I hope the original poster (scootertherapy) tells us his use case. The link in his original post is to a mount that is fixed to an arm on a mirror. The price in US is $50.00. During my initial tests, I revved up the Like 200I and noticed the mirrors shake like they're waking up from a three-day bender. I tossed them as mounting options because they shook so much. I never did test them on the road ... well ... because I did not have a mirror mount. I didn't want to spend dollars on a mount that is iffy.

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 04:24:31 PM »
I have a GoPro 7 Black and use it on my helmet. It works great and very smooth over the bumps. Its easy to adjust with the helmet mount, but the only caveat is if you want to use the audio function, you get a lot of wind noise in the background. I will try to link up some video footage later on and show what I recorded. Nice scenery around Rhode Island, especially over the Mt. Hope Bridge.

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 09:52:18 PM »
For the original poster (scootertherapy): I do NOT recommend the GoPro Suction Cup mount. I just tested it on my 2018 Like 200i (matte black) and it was difficult to find a spot where the mount would stick. In my amateur opinion, I believe the plastic surfaces have the wrong texture for this suction cup mount.

This is all premature information since I'm not even certain you are working with a GoPro or another other action camera.

In the end, my option was to mount my action camera to the dash, centered behind a tinted windscreen. The mount is held to the matte black plastic dashboard with 3M sticky tape.

Good luck.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 11:36:10 PM »
Related.... helmet-cam video taken by former forum member.
Riding a black LIKE200i...when it happened.
IMHO two people made a mistake here - although it was settled in scooter rider's favor.

Stig

PS: rider recovered, bought a big pricey matte black Honda bike with matching matte black helmet and gear.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 11:41:58 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scootertherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 01:39:27 AM »
Thanks for the detailed responses. So the mirror mount is gone. I do have a suction mount. So, I guess I'll experiment w/ that.  Here's a video I took with it when I could still fit in my miata. 😊 Gang stalkers didn't like me being fit and trim so they stalked me until I got sick & tired and eventually gained weight.

I've moved on from where the places they were. Actually they gang stalked me in 2 states as I was a snowbird. America really doesn't care too much for MGTOW types. I was MGTOW before MGTOW even was a thing. (Getting off track, I know)  They tried to get the people where I moved to take up the cause. That failed. I might get another miata one day. I replaced it w/ an xB RS 8.0 which I think I like even more. This is my back up channel. I'm not on youtube for $$$. The suction mount I have has good suction on metal & glass. Not sure about plastic.

Guess the easiest thing to do was to try it. Pretty sure I know where it is.🙄 Lots of moving & consolidating 2 houses into one.  I'll just be using it for fun. I don't go off the 8,000 acre reservation as I mentioned in another post. Just got back from a ride w/ no helmet and I was pretty buzzed They don't bother you here about these types of vehicles having no plates or even a helmet.. In that regard it's heaven. But I'm EMF radiation (cell tower & cell phone)  sensitive, so this is sort of my Palestine now. Heaven & hell situation. Yep, I'm still buzzed so.. chatty cathy tonight 😊

scootertherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 01:51:53 AM »
Related.... helmet-cam video taken by former forum member.
Riding a black LIKE200i...when it happened.
IMHO two people made a mistake here - although it was settled in scooter rider's favor.

Stig

PS: rider recovered, bought a big pricey matte black Honda bike with matching matte black helmet and gear.

Wow.. That is so senseless. Who would have been able to avoid that one.  What's with like owners going to honda? That's the second migration I've seen in the short time I've been looking at likes. I like my like.. 😊  Kymco delivers a lot of bike for the money. Glad he's ok.

scootertherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 01:54:25 AM »
For the original poster (scootertherapy): I do NOT recommend the GoPro Suction Cup mount. I just tested it on my 2018 Like 200i (matte black) and it was difficult to find a spot where the mount would stick. In my amateur opinion, I believe the plastic surfaces have the wrong texture for this suction cup mount.

This is all premature information since I'm not even certain you are working with a GoPro or another other action camera.

In the end, my option was to mount my action camera to the dash, centered behind a tinted windscreen. The mount is held to the matte black plastic dashboard with 3M sticky tape.

Good luck.

That's what I was thinking. Plastic wouldn't work. I'll try to stick it to the speedo area mebbe. 🤔 Located  my suction mount and checked it on the plastic. It works w/ the bike standing still. We'll see how it holds on the road. Feels pretty solid. Not sure why I assumed it wouldn't hold on plastic.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 03:15:22 AM by scootertherapy »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()