Author Topic: nail in Maxxis - no patch kit!  (Read 938 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
nail in Maxxis - no patch kit!
« on: September 06, 2019, 03:16:36 PM »
D U M B!
(I own two patch kits and two roadside air pumps.)
I notice a slight front wobble as I'm heading home - 27 miles.
Pull into a park to check.
Ring shank nail in front tire.

Discover that BOTH tire patch kits are in the Kymco!
Cell'ed my son - he went to my house , brought the patch kit to me*.

Used the TIRE PLUGGER to fix the tire.

Pumped it up -gave son a big hug & told him Santa would be adding a little something extra in his Xmas card this year.
("Yeah, sure Dad.")

Checked it at home. No leaks.
Have also used it on the Kymco's new PowerPure Michelin.
Mushroom plugs have worked great.
No plans to do anything else with the tire, unless it leaks.

Stig
*son had been through something similar - when the chain on his R-6 broke miles from home - so he was happy to help
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 08:45:14 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

john grinsel

• View Profile
Re: nail in Maxxis - no patch kit!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 03:26:17 PM »
Home,  pull tire patch from inside

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 07:39:05 AM »
Those kits are so cheap it’s worth carrying one on each machine Stig!  I first used one back in the 90’s on a Triumph Daytona 900 returning home from the south of France.

Warning on the kit not to exceed 50 kph! About 700 miles to the pre-booked ferry. Did I stick to 50? Er, no. In fact the plug stayed in place for the next few months until the tyre came round for replacement.

I’ve since used these plugs successfully on a number of occasions. My record was stopping with a flat to setting off again in under 15 minutes. Brilliant!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 02:08:40 PM »
Yow! Yeah, leave that plug as long as it does not leak and ride that until the next tire! That on the Piaggio? They put Maxxis on Piaggio?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 02:58:08 PM »
Yow! Yeah, leave that plug as long as it does not leak and ride that until the next tire! That on the Piaggio? They put Maxxis on Piaggio?
Yeah, this one.
Real Vespas get City Grips!
Rode it for a couple hours this morning. When it cools down will check it for leaks. No leaks, will stay till worn out (just like the plugged Power Pure Michelin on the LIKE)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 05:27:37 PM »
Really plugged motorcycle/scooter tire should be thrown away....even proper repair can be dangerous, new tire better-----ride a lot and you will find out.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 12:10:03 PM »
I have plugged numerous tires and ridden them till worn out.  In one case I put 14,000 miles on a plugged motorcycle tire.  All of those plugs where the sticky strings and I have never had one of those fail or leak.  On the other hand every plug I have tried other than sticky strings ended up leaking.

One more thing, all of those plugged tires where on a car, pickup truck or the rear tire of a motorcycle or scooter.  I'm not sure I'd be willing to ride very long on a plugged front tire on a bike.   Luckily, I have only ever had one flat front tire on a bike and that was a tube tire so I replaced the tube.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 12:13:18 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 08:04:17 AM »
I have plugged numerous tires and ridden them till worn out.  In one case I put 14,000 miles on a plugged motorcycle tire.  All of those plugs where the sticky strings and I have never had one of those fail or leak.  On the other hand every plug I have tried other than sticky strings ended up leaking.

One more thing, all of those plugged tires where on a car, pickup truck or the rear tire of a motorcycle or scooter.  I'm not sure I'd be willing to ride very long on a plugged front tire on a bike.   Luckily, I have only ever had one flat front tire on a bike and that was a tube tire so I replaced the tube.
I'm with you, those are good points regarding front v rear plugs.  I'd always only be inclined to plug a front just a a "get you home" measure and look to replace asap.  There again in my 50+ years of motorcycling I've only ever had one front tyre puncture...
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()