Author Topic: 2013 Kymco UXV500i radiator fan help  (Read 1472 times)

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
2013 Kymco UXV500i radiator fan help
« on: September 08, 2019, 02:16:25 AM »
Just returned from off road hunting trip in Colorado.  Had issues with my Kymco overheating.  We found the issue.  The radiator fan (plastic) was broken.  We thought we fixed the fan with some off road ingenuity.  The fan worked and spun for one day but the the next day it never came on again when the engine would get hot.. Any ideas why radiator fan would not turn on?   Any suggestions would be appreciated.   

FYI:  Running in H gear on main roads the air flow at higher speeds keep the engine cool enough to run with no issues.   I did order a fan assembly hoping this will fix the overheating issues in L gear.   

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Kymco UXV500i radiator fan help
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 06:53:15 AM »
I have no experience with scooters like yours, but all radiator fans basically work the same. Therefore it should not be too difficult to trace the problem. The problem can be caused by:

1. A blown fuse.
2. Loose or broken  wires, or bad / corroded wire connections.
3. Faulty thermal Switch.
4. Faulty Relay (probably used on scooters like yours).
5. Faulty fan motor.

I would look for a blown fuse first, and if all fuses are okay, I would:

- disconnect the loom to the fan motor at the thermal switch.
 - switch the ignition key on, but do not start the engine.
 -do a Voltage test at the wires previously connected to the  thermal switch. You should get a 12 Volt reading at one of those wires. If not, the scooter could be wired differently
  and you should get a 12 Volt reading at another wire which connects to the fan Motor.

- If you managed to find a 12 Volt reading, it means:
1. The fuse is not blown.
2. The wires and connections before the thermal switch are fine.
3. The relay (if any) COULD be fine (depending on how it's been linked to the fan motor).
4. The thermal Switch could be faulty.
5. The fan Motor could be faulty.

To know whether the thermal switch is faulty or not, I would test the fan motor first by doing the following:
1. Link the Positive (+) wire on the loom to the fan Motor with an external wire directly to the battery, with a fuse in between.
2. Link the Negative (-) wire on the loom to the fan Motor (or however (-) gets connected to the fan) directly to the (-) on the battery.

If the fan is running, chances are about 100% that you are having a faulty thermal Switch - or a faulty Relay (if relays are used on scooters like yours).

If you couldn't get the fan motor running - it obviously means the fan Motor is faulty.

Good luck. Again, have no knowledge about scooters like yours - but I think it shouldn't be too difficult to trace the problem.

P.S. If the manufacturer didn't use Relays at fan motors on scooters like yours - one of the first things I would do is to do a relay modification to the fan motor.  By saying this I might become very unpopular - but I find it difficult to understand how a fan motor would be reliable without a relay linked to the system. Specially when the fan works hard during very hot conditions.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 07:19:58 AM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 02:37:53 PM »
There is another thing that can immobilize the fan motor and that is an EMI filter which is machine right, under hood, forward of the battery box on that model. When it craps, unplug it and plug the two harness connectors together. At the least, it will confirm whether the filter is good or bad. Mine quit two years ago and the filter is still bypassed!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 04:52:46 PM »
There is another thing that can immobilize the fan motor and that is an EMI filter which is machine right, under hood, forward of the battery box on that model. When it craps, unplug it and plug the two harness connectors together. At the least, it will confirm whether the filter is good or bad. Mine quit two years ago and the filter is still bypassed!

Sounds like another good reason just to do a modification by installing an additional toggle switch to bypass all the fancy stuff.  That's exactly what I did on my lil' 4 x 4.  When temperatures are really getting hot I just use the toggle switch - at least it eliminates the possibility of sitting with a blown cylinder head gasket...

Fact is, global warming became part of our lives. I will be very surprised if all cooling systems out there will be able to cope with global warming...

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 04:57:28 PM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 10:51:51 PM »
Everyone:  you have given me lots to consider.  Thanks so much!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()