Author Topic: 2019 Kymco Like 150i with Noodoe Check Engine Light  (Read 3170 times)

Luparo46

• View Profile
2019 Kymco Like 150i with Noodoe Check Engine Light
« on: September 08, 2019, 12:18:59 PM »
Was riding my scoot this morning when there occurred a couple of power drops, as if scooter was choking. The third one illuminated the check engine light. I immediately slowed down and was deciding whether I would hobble home or just stop. The light went out and I went back home. The scoot has just under 1,000 miles and was properly broken in and first service was done at 500. Any ideas?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Kymco Like 150i with Noodoe Check Engine Light
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 12:29:45 PM »
Was riding my scoot this morning when there occurred a couple of power drops, as if scooter was choking. The third one illuminated the check engine light. I immediately slowed down and was deciding whether I would hobble home or just stop. The light went out and I went back home. The scoot has just under 1,000 miles and was properly broken in and first service was done at 500. Any ideas?
I'd phone dealer Monday and report this.
Stuff like this makes one not trust the scooter.
Are there known issues with bad gas in your area of Florida? Fuel tank not sitting on near empty?
We would all just be guessing. ....please visit your dealer with your new scooter (and its warranty)
Stig
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 12:33:06 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Luparo46

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 12:55:07 PM »
Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, dealer is closed on Monday but I certainly intend to report on Tuesday. Been using 89 octane ethanol free fuel from WaWa, tank nearly full. Oil level is fine. I realize that guesses are the best that I might get but, like a child with a broken Christmas present on December 28th; I was hoping for guesses. LOL at myself.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 01:54:09 PM »
WaWa?
OK, I'm sure that's fine stuff.
Some of us (OCD's) run a national brand (SHELL, being my fav) of premium in our LIKEs.
EFI scoots like ours, don't fear blended fuel -- as apparently carbed scoots do.
Might consider using only Top Tier stations - they have all the additives to satisfy BMW, Mercedes, VW, etc.
Understand your pain with your new scoot!
It'll be fine....I'm sure.
Stig
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 01:59:49 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 02:49:50 PM »
I had issues with my Like 150 cutting out and dieing.  It turned out to be a loose wire to the fuel injector.  Take it to the dealer and have them read the codes in the ECU.  The only problem is that it's often hard to find an intermittent problem.  In my case reading the codes didn't help.  The tech found the loose wire.

I'd ride it and see if the problem happens again.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Luparo46

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 03:48:58 PM »
Thanks gents. Ethanol free was recommended by a few folks, dealer included. Can't find a national brand that sells the ethanol free. I know that the injectors aren't affected by ethanol but I've been told that the water can degrade other components. Maybe my OCD is getting in the way! Anyway, I'll have to wait until Tuesday earliest.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 06:29:33 PM »
Wow, good report from klaviator -- something to file away if we hear of similar issues.
As for ethanol free fuel....well scoot and motorcycle markets would be dead if ethanol was damaging. There isn't any in my area.
My local monster sized motor sport dealer fills all their new sales (Ducati, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Polaris, Kymco, Kawasaki, etc.) a quarter mile away at the corner Shell, Amoco and BP stations....none of which sell anything but 10% blends.
But, to each his own. (I always wear rubber gloves when handling frogs, and have a Flat Earth Society T-shirt )
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Luparo46

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 07:02:50 PM »
I'm certainly convinced of returning to the Shell premium that I was using. As for being gloved whilst handling frogs..... Don't think that one can get astral that way. Of course, if it's just the legs that you're interested in.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 07:50:36 PM »
It is always possible to get bad gas and buying ethanol free won't eliminate the risk of getting bad gas.  The main problem with ethanol gas is it can cause problems if you let your bike sit too long.  With fuel injection that risk is greatly reduced.  As for using premium gas, this has been discussed before but I believe it's a total waste of money to use it in a bike designed for regular which the Like is. 

I'd go out and ride the scooter some more.  If it's running good when you take it in they will probably find nothing.  The more information you have to give the tech the more likely that he can find the problem.  If it was some water in the gas you may not have any further problems.

BTW, when my like wasn't running right the engine would die and the check engine light would NOT come on.  If I turned on the ignition and the check engine light did not come on I knew it wouldn't start.  If the light came on it would start. 

Based on my experience with the like as well as reading about issues others have had it appears that the Like 150's weak point is the electronics and that is probably where the problem is.  I had ABS issues as well and they were due to the speed sensor being bad.

I am now approaching 5000 miles on my Like and despite the issues I have had I am still glad I bought this scooter.  I expect to have ridden it at least 6000 miles in the first year of ownership, maybe a lot more.  Keep in mind that I also have other bikes otherwise it would be a lot more.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Luparo46

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 10:37:22 AM »
Many thanks to Stig and Klaviator for your input. This is the third Kymco that I've purchased, one was a Super 8 150 for my son, many years ago, the other was a People 300 that I used. I've also had two Genuine Buddies, an Italia and a Pamplona. Added to that list was two motorcycles, a Kawasaki and a Suzuki. This is the first ride that has given me trouble. That being said, at this age and point in my life, I'm finding scooter riding much preferable and don't intend to ever get a motorcycle again. If I had the financial wherewithal, and a garage, I'd start collecting scooters and wrench on them myself. Oh well, there's always the lottery.

scootertherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 04:11:33 AM »
No critter got in the air intake mebbe? These things run on more air than fuel...  I run 87 octane w/ ethanol and have no issues .

Luparo46

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 09:57:48 AM »
Turns out that despite my scooter VIN not being on a recall list for faulty fuel pumps, it had a faulty fuel pump! The lucky thing about that was that Kymco sent fuel pumps to all of their dealerships in anticipation of needing them. So, they had a pump on hand. I did however have an intermittent problem (post pump) that seems to have gone away. Bogging on acceleration. Of course, that still suggests a fuel air issue. If it recurrs, then back to the dealership. Anyway, been running high test after the new pump and getting about 82 MPG

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 11:32:48 AM »
Turns out that despite my scooter VIN not being on a recall list for faulty fuel pumps, it had a faulty fuel pump! The lucky thing about that was that Kymco sent fuel pumps to all of their dealerships in anticipation of needing them. So, they had a pump on hand. I did however have an intermittent problem (post pump) that seems to have gone away. Bogging on acceleration. Of course, that still suggests a fuel air issue. If it recurrs, then back to the dealership. Anyway, been running high test after the new pump and getting about 82 MPG

Oh, boy I get to harp on vent valves again! Ah..there seems to be a problem common to all brands and models and that is sticking gasoline tank vent valves. It is a little, cheaply made, plastic vacuum operated, spring closed valve that is SUPPOSED to open with vacuum from the engine running. This is not always happening and the engine idle gets uneven and the fire goes out. Does not happen all the time and some bikes it never happens. The proof on a fuel injected bike is immediate improvement when it runs crappy, open the gas cap and the symtom goes away right now. Give it a try next time it happens. Ride as often as you can like klaviator said before you go to your dealer.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 12:17:15 PM »
Thank you very much for your report back on the fix!
Goes into the books as help for the next person who has this issue.
Really appreciate it....

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Luparo46

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 02:10:19 PM »
Thank you everyone for your input. It is very helpful and comforting to know that there are folks out there willing to provide constructive input.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()